Mod Hot Water Heater to use Electric

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Loraura, Jan 8, 2014.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I think that you will find it will take a very long time to heat the water.

2. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

I got a suburban so no elec conversion for me

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

surburban tanks are steel. I think atwood tanks are aluminum? I leave my gas hw heater running from the time we pull in a site until about a hour before we leave. It does not use that much propane. I don't think it would use a tank of propane in 20 days. Can't see the ROI?

4. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I had hot water with no help from propane in an hour. By the time i did the dishes it was hot enough that i needed to mix in cold water to not burn my hands. Considering all I have to do is flip the switch on while setting up, seems like no sacrifice at all. I don't generally need to take a shower within an hour of pulling in to camp.

5. tombiasi

^^^
    Yeah but Texas water is already 110 degrees F. :)
    Do a calculation. I couldn't find the watts published but at 120 VAC and estimating the wire size I can't see the unit putting out more than about 1400 watts. 6 gallons of water is 50 pounds. Say a 40 degree rise if not in Texas. Not a short time.

6. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

That's right. Incoming water temp is a major factor.
    location and season

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

When I look at them I thought they were the same watts as the heating elements of the tanks that are booth elec and gas. They are not this kit is a 725 Watt element. You would need to wait 2+ hours for it to heat up.

It's hard to find the specs. But refrence a sister product http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11774-Hybrid-Replacement-Element/dp/B00BFU7R6E

8. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Even though I usually camp with electrical hook-ups, I think I would rather spend my money on another propane tank, if that's what the worry is. They don't seem to use much propane.

9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

The amount of propane used ain't the issue as I understand the OP, neither is time.

Sounds like she is satisfied with its performance and ease of use. as always YMMV.

10. Loraura

Loraura New Member

It was 50 degrees when we arrived Friday, and I turned the water heater on. It was 32 degrees Friday night (water in the back of the pickup froze) and and high 60's during the day. Not exactly 110 degrees in January quite yet.

Maybe you're wanting it to work with it's 10 degrees outside. If so, you may have a point. Many of us, including me, never camp in conditions much colder than high 20's at night.

It's been suggested that you could use Propane to achieve quick desired temp, then switch to Electric to maintain the temp.

Or you can just stick with Propane....

I'm just saying that for me, it was an easy install and worked better than I expected.

11. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

If you ask me, that right there is a solid, to-the-point review and nothing more need be said. For $70, I'd say that's about all anyone could reasonably expect.

I'd appreciate the flexibility and, if I had the choice, would rather use the CG's electricity than pay for propane regardless of how little the WH uses. Plug it in, turn it on and forget about it? Perfect!

12. budlight

budlight Member

X2 on "Plug it in, turn it on and forget about it? Perfect!" from Dubbya

13. tombiasi

Very good. I don't care one way or another, I don't ever plan on buying one since I never camp in an electric site and I don't have an onboard water heater.
    I was just trying to estimate heating time based on the little info I had. That's what I do. :)
    Glad you are happy.

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

The water heater on the TT has both gas and electric heating. 90% of the time it runs on electric about the only times I use the propane for it when we (mostly me) have a shower in the trailer and want the system to recover faster, then I'll use both the gas and electric combined.

15. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I see a mod in my future. If I can get my water heater to work (it currently dont but I learned a few days about I was not working it correctly) I will see if I can add another port to the water heater (if it is all steel, sw6 water heater if I recall) so I can still have the anode and add the electric heater. I rather use the electricity from the campground so I can leave it running all the time. If I need faster recuperation time then I will switch to propane or a combination.
    Im glad this worked for you and that you took the time to post about it. Here where/when I camp the temps are generally mid 30's on the coldest trips and washing the dishes with warm water would be great. We end up heating water in the stove this past 2 trips so DW could wash them without freezing her hands. I did not fare too well since I was "rinse boy" and had to deal with the cold water...

16. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

[HYC] [TV] I did this mod to my TT. and it works great. I use a portable electric heater to keep the camper warm and only use propane when not using the microwave. My last 3 day campout use NO propane at all. I have a small electric coffee pot to make hot water for my beverages in and now my trips for propane only happen once a year. My propane furnace would empty out real fast when using the furnace or cooking in addition to hot water. I would guess Im saving approx. 7-8 dollars per day not using propane on cool campouts.

17. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

You don't actually drill into the tank, just through the housing so that you can run wires. The installation instructions are in the manual, the problem is nobody can find it online. Got one? Post it here at the portal!

18. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

I am trying to figure out why I wouldn't do this. I need to replace the gas coupling in mine anyway, it won't light and I don't even hear the gas hiss. I also can't think of any time that I would have water but not electric, even with a water tank since I have the shower and would need electric to use the pump no matter what.

19. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

Except may be 40 degree groundwater here in Wisconsin. I wonder how long that would take to get up to 120. Then again a broken gas valve is raising the water temp at all, anyway.

20. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

. Have you cleaned the orifice??