Models with 3 pop out bunks?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by RugerRedhawk, Dec 20, 2017.

1. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    I know several floor plans of the forest river shamrock came with 3 bunks, and some jaycos do too. We're looking at slightly older models mostly to keep cost down. Are there any particular model numbers I can search for looking at say 2008-2012 hybrids out there that will have 3 bunks? Searching 'hybrid' on rv trader and craigslsit isn't always reliable at even the more common 2 bunk hybrids. Do owners of the 3 bunk setups like them? With two kids I really like the idea of them each getting their own bed space without the need to convert a dinette or couch every day.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Like your screen name. Some members get nervous when they see something that might be gun related.

azbirddog42 likes this.
  3. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a Coachman 21TQX. I love it. Out of all that I looked at it was the only one with a decent sized front pass through storage. Also the extra counter comes in handy. Check it out.

For us the hybrid is the way to go. I have 4 kids so the girls share and eventually the boys will share when the baby is older.

The other advantage is we camp with other couples and they get a full bed to share instead of bunks or the couch in some things we considered.

4. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Thanks, I'll keep that model in line. I'm pretty brand generic, but it's hard finding search terms that find specifically hybrid trailers with 3 bunks on craigslist/rvtrader.

5. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Rockwood makes a Roo 233S that has three beds. I haven't owned one, but I fell in love with it at the RV show.

jmscamping and Novarich like this.
  6. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a 2011 StarCraft 187tb that has 3 bunks. We have 3 kids so the extra bunk is way better than having to convert the dining table each day. Ours has been good.

7. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Roo/Shamrock came out with the first 3 bunk hybrid, the 233.
    Soon after they were the first to add a slideout to a 3 bunk hybrid, the 233S.
    It became the most popular hybrid made.
    Soon every other brand copied both.

The 233 came out around 2007, so you might find some used ones out there that would be cheaper.

8. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Just keep in mine that the older you go, you won't be getting the industry improvements that happened through the years like canvas being permanently attached to the bunks so your family doesn't roll out in the night or bunk latch improvements to better seal out water, just to name a couple.

9. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Absolutely. Coming from our 2001 popup I think anything we're shopping for here will be a major improvement though. I've seen a handful of 2010+ models I liked for well under $10k, just didn't have our tow vehicle lined up yet. Now that I have the truck I can shop more directly for the camper, but craigslist kind of dries up during the cold season here. These model names and numbers are a great help though.

10. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    The RV shows are starting now, so keep a look out for trade-ins.

11. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Try searching for "expandable" as well, it's another industry term for the hybrids.

As others have said the bigger players back in that time-frame were Rockwood Roo and Flagstaff Shamrock with the 233, 233S and the 183, Jayco and Starcraft also had a shared Floorplan and there was also one I saw from Coyote that was pretty good. From experience we loved our 233S

12. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We loved the Sportsmen Classic 18RBT when we were shopping around this summer.

13. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Take it from someone who has spent hundreds of hours on Craigslist and Facebook looking for the killer deal... very few people really know what they have when selling an RV. The best course of action is to view Craigslist in "Gallery" mode, and look at the pictures. Then open anything that looks even close to what you want. I see so many ads of folks selling "trailers" and they have no clue what model it is. I see "travel trailers" that are really toy haulers, toy haulers listed as utility trailers, and on and on. So, I just spend time clicking on pics of likely candidates. Then if you suspect it is what you may want, then you can begin to ask questions.

Also, while I like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace is turning into a better, and more responsive place to search for RVs here. It is so much easier to post than CL, I think people just like it better. Don't forget to look there too.

MaeKay, lorriewarner and Jorja like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I have a Starcraft 239TBS (3 bunks and a slide), but they also have the 229TB (3 bunks, no slide)
    The 239TBS is pretty big for a 3 bunk. 27ft long.
    There's also the 187TB. One of the short 3 bunks.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  15. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    I have a 2013 Roo 183. a smaller version of the 233s. we love it but the wife wants one with a couch so we might upgrade.

16. RugerRedhawk

RugerRedhawk Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Ended up putting a down payment on a 2013 StarCraft 187tb. The allure of the longer ones was tempting, but this was local, priced right, and in mint condition so we bit. I really like the material they use on these tent ends compared to my old 2001 pop-up with vinyl and cotton canvas, this stuff looks like it will be more resilient.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Congrats. We love our Starcraft.

18. uno676

uno676 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    We love our 2017 Starcraft 187tb B30E2E73-8152-481E-BAA8-496B8C783E97.jpeg

Bree, lorriewarner and RugerRedhawk like this.
  19. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    SC
    What is your tow limit on your Tacoma. My TV is an Explorer and want to be sure we can tow it.

20. D2forever

D2forever New Member

Aug 11, 2018
    SC
    Hello. We are looking at this make/model. What is your TV and capacity?