Monoprice Cooler

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by MileHigh, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
  2. Pozi

Pozi Member

Feb 17, 2016
    It was just a matter of time before the Yeti coolers were copied. And it looks like there are several out there. The cooler you linked looks like a good option. There is also the Ozark Trail version from Wally World for a little cheaper. Heck you could even buy/use it and return if it doesn't work well. Not so easy to return to Monoprice.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    I just looked at the specs for the Ozark Trail. Empty weight is 35 lbs!! Filled with food and beverages, you might top 100 lbs loaded. I wonder if all of the coolers that style are so heavy.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    1011CEB4-2ADC-4E10-9671-7883EAA64975.jpeg That’s the problem with these coolers. Heavy and to get larger capacity the cooler is enormous. My 20 yr old Igloo marine works just fine. Spent a couple of weeks in the Utah desert recently and we went 8 days without needing ice. Beverages kept in separate cooler with extra ice.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I can't see where they are so great for the price.
    I made covers for mine out of reflectix and aluminum tape. I covered the sides and top, then sit it on a piece of reflectix I have kept ice for a week on canoe trips, I use the Coleman 5 day coolers. I also placed a hasp and lock on them to keep the racoons out :) Good lUck and Happy Camping

6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    RTIC, Cold *******, Grizzly and several others are beating Yeti at their own game.
    Tractor Supply even has a line of rotomolded coolers for sale, the price is good on them.
    The only issue I see with them is that the latches and such don't look as heavy as some of the other brands.

Any of these coolers will be heavy, lots of plastic and insulation in them so there really isn't a way to make them lighter and have them perform the same.
    If you think those are expensive, don't click this link.
    https://www.sovaro.com/coolers.html

These are the absolute nicest coolers I've seen, if I had the use for one I'd buy it in a minute.
    But for vehicle use you could get a Dometic fridge for the same money.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I do have an older Coleman Xtreme which works great when temps are normal but I haven't tested it in real heat. Last year in Yellowstone, I went 5 days with just topping off ice. Things were still frozen solid on the last day and had to be thawed in another cooler. Just worried about 100+ degree temps is all...

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have a big Coleman extreme 5 day and love how it hold the ice forever.

9. Solo camper

Solo camper Member

Apr 23, 2018
    West virginia
    Just bought a Lifetime cooler. Sold by Walmart on line, not in stores. Price was 97.00 to my door. Tried it out and had ice going into 7th day. I was very pleased. Performed as well as high dollar coolers but in my price range.

10. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

Nov 29, 2010
    I've got a Yeti 75 that is great. I get 5 days of daily use, cooler opened a lot by my kids, and I only need 4 frozen 2 liter bottles. Still have ice on the last day, < 40 deg temps, no manky water from melted bags of cubes.

But I'm glad Yeti has found serious competition to drive prices down. I don't think I'll ever need another cooler, but if mine gets lost or stolen, I'd definitely look at the rotomolded knock offs. They are heavy, but they live in the back of the truck on a trip, I don't need to move them much. The rope handles make a 2 person carry easy for loading.