Monroe Load Adjust Shocks

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Aug 15, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Hey folks. If you have experience adding Monroe Load Adjust Shocks on an F150 to reduce squat, please let me know your experience. I was about to pop on the Timbren system, but saw a lot of folks say they got a harsh ride when not towing. I thought the coil over design of the Monroe might be a little better when not towing.

I used to think I towed less than 1% of my miles, but as it turns out, the little tracker says I towed over 2,600 miles this season, and the season aint over yet! I think I might want to invest in something to take a little squat out.

Interested in any experience folks have with either product.

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    As a general rule, shock absorber mounting points are not designed to bear loads. I would suggest you look at some kind of load assist that works in conjunction with the springs, like air bags.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Overload springs? The big brothers to the 150 use then

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I have installed the Monroe's for customers... they have been happy with them, however, I think we had to warranty-out both sets (that I can think of) within 3-4 years of original installation.

5. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    Installed the Timbren springs in our mini-van, ride isn't any rougher. When not under load they aren't in contact and only come into play in sharp corners and help dampen out body roll.

Suppose an F150 could behave differently but wouldn't expect so (yes I have owned an F150 and E350 so familiar with the Ford truck line), but never had Timbrens in either since used WDHs when we had bigger campers.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Shocks with springs can make noise as the shock moves. Had them on our Jeep. Where as an air shock wouldn't but are a little move involved to install. Had them on my Jimmy. I have installed Timbrens, but we only used them on the fronts when adding heavy snow plows to pickups. I am a firm believer of air bags, quiet, adjustable and if they are good enough for a tour bus thats good enough for me. I don't have them on my current F150, but if I did need something I would add air bags.

7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I have the load adjust shocks on my Ranger....they did exactly what i wanted them to do. My TV would squat a little when pup was hitched, & back end of TV full of gear, not badly, but just a little more than I liked, the trailer was running slightly downhill as well. Put on the Load Adjust shocks, the TV now sets level when the pup is on & TV loaded, quite happy with them, pup is now riding level as well. As far as ride while empty, I really didn't notice any difference between before and after. When unloaded, the back end of the Ranger does sit about an inch higher than before. Hope this helps

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    I just put Timbrens on my F-150 to help with the squat and porpousing.

We're in the middle of a probably 1700-mile trip. I'm thinking when I get home I may want to tweak the WDH but otherwise I've been pleased.
    Without the trailer, you dont even know they're there. [:)C]

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Thanks everyone! I've heard about the concern of the loading of the shock mounts. Many reviews said they were concerned, but nobody so far reviewed that the shocks caused a failure yet. It's a winter project anyway, so I will think some more on it.