Mosquito repellent, homemade

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by jnellis01, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

Jul 4, 2014
    Mosquitos love me!!!!! And my dog too. :) After years of wasting money on store bought products, I finally found a natural, non chemical recipe. I spray my short hair dog shoulder/back area and grand kids.

I just now made a new batch of home made mosquito repellent, as follows.
    10 drops Lemon Eucalyptus oil
    100 drops Witch Hazel
    Directions; Put ingredients in to small spray bottle(glass preferred).

RollTideRick and Nilas74 like this.
  2. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    I like the smell of Eucalyptus. This recipe should be ok for a baby as well I imagine? Better than bathing the infant in deet atleast. Thanks for the information!

3. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Feb 16, 2009
    EDEN, NORTH CAROLINA
    NO, not for babies due to the witch hazel. Baby might rub their eyes and witch hazel can burn their skin. Also allergies can be very bad if you are allergic to witch hazel or eucalyptus.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    I've never heard of Witch Hazel before. I guess I don't get around all that much. I've only heard of the Wicked Witch of the West.

I like using Deep Woods Off myself, the higher % of Deet, the better. I always have a quick shower just before bed though, because I can't stand sleeping in that stuff.

My wife refuses to put any Deet on, figuring that she's going to get the cancer. She also never put it on our kids when they were young, or even now for that matter. My son will use it though (22 years old). So I'm going to suggest that she tries your recipe, we'll make up a batch and try in out this summer to see how it goes. Thanks.

5. RollTideRick

RollTideRick Member

May 31, 2017
    I've never used that recipe, will try it out. I do use equal parts of original Listerine add Witch Hazel, add Tea Tree oil. The amount of oil depends on the size of portions of other ingredients. This works great for the "No see-ums" here in Florida and mosquito as well.

6. retiredmikey

retiredmikey New Member

Dec 20, 2016
    I've tried witch hazel but let me tell you it's a real hassle getting her off the broom she rides lol

Adam H likes this.
  7. RollTideRick

RollTideRick Member

May 31, 2017
    Awesome!!!

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We always have a hand squirt bottle of AVON SKIN SO SOFT handy when sitting outside. Seemed to work good for us...

I was just reading one of the links on here that a test was made and found the AVON SKIN SO SOFT didn't measure up well to other insect repellent.... Could have fooled me... We all smelled good too...

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Here in the Fl. Swamps, DEET is the only thing that works, I have tried everything , Now the No-seeums eat Deet for supper, and Skin So Soft is what sort of works because of the oil it lays on the skin, (you can see the skid marks) and they cannot get a good grip. One thing that does help it taking Super Vitamin B Complex, the only problem is it turns your urine yellow but it helps, we tried this as an experiment on the Ocklawaha River at night. Happy Camping!

10. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    FYI, a friend of ours is a U of M cancer researcher and an MD. I've often heard him say that the worst thing you'll ever get from DEET is a thousand times better than the least damaging disease you can get from a mosquito. He recommends the highest percentage you can find.

xxxapache and terry1419 like this.
  11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Well that was a fail on my part. We just got back from 2 1/2 weeks of camping in the worst mosquitoes known to man, and I totally forgot to mix any of this up and take it along. Doh!, comes with old age I guess.