Mounting E Brakes with Magnet On Top

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Ed F, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Hello everyone,

I am converting my 97 Coleman Cheyenne to electric brakes and found that after the install I can't adjust the brakes because the adjuster slot is being blocked by the leaf spring shackle. Is it possible to mount the electric brakes upside down with the magnets on top? I could swap the left and right sides so the longer shoe is still in the back. Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I don't think you can. The brakes grab the hub as it spins, which force it to turn a specific way engaging the brake. If you swap the left and right sides, the rotation will be the wrong direction.

I would contact E-trailer.com, and see if they have different style brakes. They would have access to almost everything that is made, and would get you an answer pretty quickly.

3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Found this link....

[​IMG]

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Maybe you could just rotate them 180degree on the mounting studs... I don't know. Maybe some of the more mechanically inclined will respond.

5. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

May 19, 2010
    maybe ask your question at E trailer ?

6. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Yeah, I was thinking about mounting them 180 degrees rotated with the left and right sides swapped so the long shoe would still be towards the back. I called etrailer before posting and they said they have heard of people doing it but couldn't recommend because it goes against manufacturers suggestions, etc. I can understand that. They don't really have much other options in the 7" brake kits, no self adjusting ones, etc. I guess I can just install normally and get as close as I can by pulling the hub on and off and adjusting from the inside...

7. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Swapping left and right will have the magnet going against the direction of travel. It won't engage the show.

Rotating 180's won't change that, so it should still function.

8. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    True. Maybe I can rotate 180 and then swap the shoes so the larger is on the back. Etrailer said make sure the larger shoe is on the back. I'll have to see if they can be swapped.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Don't swap the shoes just rotate the backing plates. The brakes are called self energizing and the shoes have to stay the way they are. The brake drum does not have a brain so it would not know if the backing plate is upside down. Again do not swap sides or change the position of the shoes in relation to the magnet and its arm. This is a fact.

10. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks very much for the info!

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Since you have admitted your limited mechanical ability, don't redesign the brakes.

J Starsky likes this.
  12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Ask the electric brake expert at e Trailer like bols2Dowall said. I would be scared to change anything to make anything different. I do fine replacing everything exactly like it was before.

13. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I decided to just leave them installed as is and get them as close as possible. Just need to pull the hub when adjustment is needed I guess. I did ask Etrailer and they basically told me off the record it could be done and has been done but to make sure the large shoe is on the rear which I don't know how you do that unless you swap shoes or swap sides and yes it would not function with swapping sides. I agree I shouldn't redesign them. There are also big arguments on the web on whether or not the larger shoe really has to be on the rear. I always put the large shoe towards the rear when working on car drum brakes. Thanks for the input anyways. Overall adding the brakes was really easy aside from no access to the adjuster. I lucked out that my axle had the mounting flange.

14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    There are many different shaped and sized ebrake adjustment tools. I know I have 3 different ones in my box. Is it that you can't get a screwdriver in there or really can't fit? A tool like this goes a long way: https://store.snapon.com/Automotive...-trucks-with-trailing-arm-bolts--P636126.aspx

And, don't redo a brake system unless you are confident in your skills. This is coming from a dude running rear disc brakes on an '85 CJ7.

15. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    I have that same tool. I can't even get the rubber insert off. No clearance. The axle was replaced before I bought it so maybe the leaf spring shackles are not original and somehow different. (At least that is what I was told) I can do car drum brakes all day long with no problem. I was just curious if anyone has every installed them this way. The brakes are working great. I can lock them up with the brake controller at full gain and it stopped straight. I reduced the gain and adjusted them down nicely. Much nicer having brakes on the popup for sure.

J Starsky likes this.
  16. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Could you flip the axle, gain 2in +/- height and get what you need? Perhaps the installer took the easy route and did it spring under instead of over? Spit balling, maybe a pic would help me.

17. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Can't take a pic right now but you are definitely right that the springs are under the the axle and that is the reason they are in the way. I might look into that. Thanks for the advice, didn't think of that.

J Starsky likes this.
  18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    The one thing all the experts you are talking to don't say or know is ..... The large shoe needs to be on the rear of the Pivot/Stop/fixed shoulder of the brake backing plates. And by rear they mean the rear of the rotation. The rear shoe does most of the stopping force and in needs to push again a fixed stop to do this. The smaller shoes gets pushed out by the arm the magnet is on, which as the the drum rotates also tries to rotate, pushing the on the brake adjuster which pushes on the rear shoe. This rear shoe can't rotate (its against the fixed stop at one end) and is jammed against the drum. This is how it works in 1950, 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, 2000, 2010, 2018. Did you know that chevy didn't use (by the way they are called Bendix self energizing brakes) for the the first time on their cars until 1951 and Chrysler not until 1962! Other brands used them before these dates. I know maybe no one really cares, but when I was learning the auto trade you learned way things work and how to fix them.
    Sorry for the rant I am getting to be a more grumpy old man everyday.

J Starsky likes this.
  19. Ed F

Ed F New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Good to know. Thanks for the info Raycfe.

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I myself don't consider that a rant, I consider it information.

J Starsky likes this.