Municipal Code 19.45.065

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by opie232, Apr 22, 2015.

1. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

Lol. No, not the whole world. Right here in merica. There are places that you don't need government permission to build a shanty or a mansion.

2. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

So Opie232 what happened at the meeting?

3. penguin

penguin Member

I am the Building Official in the city we live in, and it's my job to enforce these types of laws. It's unfortunate that you are experiencing unpleasant news from your local officials. Any time you have so many people living so close to each other, there has to be rules. Our city also prohibits RVs, trailers, etc. from being parked in the front yard, driveway, etc. You would really be surprised at the things we run into when it comes to what some people try to do while living in a city. I had one guy trying to keep a cow on his 16'x16' patio that he had fenced in along with a few chickens. Imagine having this guy as your neighbor. Use your imagination as to what some people would try to call and RV, especially when it come to home built projects. You might even have someone attempting to park a horse trailer in their front yard as well, some of them do have living qtrs built into the front of them. There's always someone who will try to push the envelope as far as possible. So for the greater good, even the most well intended and pure hearted people are forced to suffer along with everyone else. There's always going to be someone trying something new and someone else who is going to complain about everything. Imagine your neighborhood if there were no rules to protect your investment. Some people have mentioned HOAs, these are not city imposed rules but covenant rules that a subdivision has adopted in order to preserve a certain standard of living, and not ordinances that the city has officially adopted. All our citizens to have the opportunity to appeal to the Board for a special exception and most of the time, they are granted. The city does not wish to grant permission for what you'd like to build, they just want to make sure no one tries to build a shanty next to your mansion! I live outside the city after I purchased a moblie home to live in, our city does not allow them. Happy Trails! [:D]

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I looked at the code and understood the code before I bought any of my 5 homes.

I can understand why some people would be upset that people want to change the code.

5. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I agree! Ever sit outside of a Home Depot and see what comes and goes out of there. I have seen shanties built inside of a home and 30 people living in one house. Although the HOA's do go a bit far, you are volunteering to buy in an HOA. So do your research before you buy. As far as an incorporated city, your voting power dictates what ordinances get adopted. And why does it seem like the flavor in the thread regarding an unincorporated area of a county is down graded. Is an incorporated portion of a city higher up on the rung?

Everyone has the opportunity to freely live where they want and enjoy. It is up to the individual to chose where to do that and how. I live in an unincorporated area and I set my pup up, work on it, sleep and use it as a guest room. None of my neighbors complain (oh, I don't have any). I have a nice yard, mow my grass (no cars have been found) and enjoy my souroundings. Probably couldn't do any of it in an incorporated city.

Here is a photo to give you an idea........

[​IMG]

I hope you get what you are hoping for. Just understand when there are many, the rules are in place for the benefit and safety of all. I couldn't imagine a restrictive ordinance in a place like Quatzite AZ........

6. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

This is not a problem with building codes which I fully support. This is about blanket prohibitions.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

We have bylaws against parking campers in our driveways too but folks are pretty forgiving, mind their own business and the bylaw enforcement officer turns a blind eye unless they're decrepit, parked on city property, obstructing a sidewalk, on your lawn or sticking out into the roadway.

In my experience, as long as you use it during the summer, keep it reasonably well maintained and don't leave it parked in the driveway for the winter, nobody seems to complain. I've learned not to push my luck with good neighbors.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You have the power to change HOA with members backing you up. Become an offical and have the rules changed. But there will be some who bring in disrepaired and terrible looking campers/RV to park on driveway. Put in a rule that only those who keep campers looking clean can park on driveway...

9. dougfam

dougfam Member

Our HOA is pretty strict about having ours in the street or drive way for more than 24 hrs. I got a notice once when we got home late from a trip and left it in the drive way over night and didn't get it put in the garage until later in the afternoon (not a full 24 hr). Some places can be overly strict about things like this, but don't enforce other deed restrictions that should be.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I got a ticket for leaving camper on street... its a no, no. no here. Leave em in storage or garage..

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

It's got to be all or none. Whose opinion gets to determine what's good enough? There could be conditions of currently titled I would suspect but other than than that a decrepit -looking camper is a matter of opinion that isn't enforceable.

If I lived in a city and the rule changed on me I would be more than miffed if my neighbor parked an oil leaking 1984 class C in his driveway. More importantly as a buyer I wouldn't buy your house next to him at full market value if it came up for sale. It definitely hurts property value which is why these came to place to begin with.

Keeping a pup in the garage or off site storage is a small price to pay if you have close neighbors to keep Billy Bob from parking whatever jalopy in his driveway next to me.

I live in a spread out subdivision in the country where over half my neighbors have boats or campers. The guy behind me has a TT that hasn't moved in a few years and is full of useless crap. He's far enough away I can't see it from my property. I only know it's there because he's a good guy and I go over and talk to him occasionally. That's tough to do in the city on small lots.

12. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

I understand the codes and ordinances banning them in driveways, especially in cities/suburbs. It would be too difficult to be able to make exceptions or judge the case based on the condition of the vehicle. It is a small price to pay for owning a camper.
    In my experience, at least in my town... They aren't too harsh about their city ordinance. If it isn't kept out all the time then they really don't bother.
    However, funny story. My across the street neighbor had a HUGE RV that he brought to the house after he moved in. He had a long narrow side yard and was parking it in front of his fence in the front sideyard. He got a letter from the city after about a month. What did he do? Built his back yard fence up further towards the sidewalk so the RV was technically in his back yard. Pretty genius if you ask me [:D]
    I also know the frustration of having someone's large RV being parked in the road in front of their house, which is right at a 3 way intersection in the neighborhood. Very inconvenient place for it. But they generally don't have it out more than a day or two so not a big deal.

13. opie232

opie232 Member

So we had no opposition from the Facebook crowd. I guess this gets put on the agenda at a future council meeting for a vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. opie232

opie232 Member

On of our council members is going to ask for a temporary halt to the code on Wednesday. After that they will begin looking into a permanent plan going forward.

15. daschnoz

daschnoz Active Member

That's good to hear. Good luck getting a permanent solution implemented.

There are quite a few stupid laws on the books that have unintended consequences/collateral damage. It's nice to see one of them be struck from the code.

16. G. Will Ickers

G. Will Ickers New Member

Bureaucrats.

Am I right?

17. Capcom1701

Capcom1701 New Member

Hi Everyone,
    My wife was the one that put together the petition on Change.org to get the changes made to the current code.
    At Last nights meeting of the City council we made an attempt to suspend current warning citations. It was Voted down 2:7. This is the first time the council members were officially put on record. In the past it was always been a behind the scenes discussion. Were still pushing forward with a proposal. Our one City council member that's on our side along with staff will put together something that will be voted on possibly in the June 10th meeting. Between now and then we have to contact as many Elgin RV owners as we can and get them to Email or call our City council members to voice there opinion. Were not asking for the world. We are taking baby steps in that we just want to start something that allows parking of RV's and PUP's in our driveways for the season. Perhaps a limited amount of permits at first. If successful it could be expanded on next year to include other vehicles.

When we moved to Elgin in 2001 we had a PUP. I parked it on the side of the house on Gravel and nobody ever bothered us. In 2003 we Traded in for a 19ft 2003 Hybrid. Again nobody ever bothered us weather it was in the side yard or in the driveway. In 2008 we Traded up for a 25ft TT. Still fits on the Driveway and i even spent $1000 in materials to make a Patio behind the garage to park it in the winter. The City did not bother us until just last month with a warning citation. I just learned last night in my document research that This code has been in its current form since 2008. Sigh....

18. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

In the original post it says that the code is 40 years old. Sounds like you have been pushing your luck for years, going from small RV , bigger RV , really big RV. This is why they have to enforce the rules. Give someone an inch and they take a mile.

19. clydee

clydee Member

Link to original post - I've read this thread like 3 times, I didn't see anyone posting something like what you're mentioning going from a small RV to a really big RV etc:

20. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Well I still think it is crazy. This is government run amok.