"Must Haves" for the first time PUP owner

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by DelorFamily, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan Active Member

Call a locksmith and they can come out and make a key or take it to a lock smith.

stacey short likes this.
  2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Depends on the age and brand of your pup, and whether or not a previous owner has replaced the locks. Many use the same keys, so you may be able to buy a key from a dealer. Or, if you can remove the lock, you can take it to a locksmith or dealer and buy a replacement of the same type - that's what we did for the storage area locks on the TT. We didn't like the idea that lots of folks had the key to our storage areas. We've also replaced the door handle/lock on the TT, because something broke in it.

We never worried about having keys on our first pup, we never had them (we were the 3rd owners). It is, after all, easy to just open the canvas and get into the camper. We did lock the door from the inside sometimes, sitting on the bench next to the door would push the latch and the door would swing open.
    Second pup really needed the the lock on the half (outer) door locked to keep it shut on the road.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Must haves for first time pup owner: at minimum pup should have a refrigerator, 26 gallon water capacity, hot water heater, outside shower, boxed frame and one piece roof.
    From that point you have a decent starting point. Add popup gizmos, fantastic fan, mattress covers, porta pottie, and privy shelter.

The rest comes from experience and usage types. Off grid go 12 volt and cast iron. Campground go micro fridge and slow cookers or this foodi do it all cookers.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. stacey short

stacey short Member

No heat or air and no hot showers. It does have a sink and stove top and a stove to cook outside. I do have a air conditioning to add and a heater it did come with a refrigerator but I'm not sure if it works. I haven't plug my camper up yet. I do have a refrigerator to put in it. I'm going to look under the sink to see if I see a hot water heater but I doubt it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  6. CamperKaren

CamperKaren New Member

We’ve been on one outing now and learned we must get a water filter. First time hooking up to water and it was nasty!

HappyTraveler and Toedtoes like this.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

An RV extension cord is an extension cord of the same amperage as your camper.

I your camper is a 50amp system, then get a 50amp extension cord. If your camper is a 30amp system, then get a 30amp extension cord. It will give you a longer reach when needed at the same amperage as your system and the cord will be rated to handle that amperage.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I find must have lists to include a lot of individually debatable items.

Whether I have power or not, I never use slow cookers, microwaves, or other electric appliances. My exception will be a toaster oven in the FoldnRoll because it doesn't have an oven built in.

Generators, solar, etc., are also things I don't bother with even though I'm usually dry camping. My battery will last over the week. I have lithium jump starters that can charge cell phones and kindles, etc.

I do carry two 20ton bottle Jacks and a portable air compressor as well.

To me, must haves are more about safety and survival than convenience. Tools, first aid, emergency food (a few canned items that can be eaten without heating if needed), etc.

Everything else is dependent on how you use your camper and your personal desires.

WingmanHG likes this.
  9. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

Small metal clamps. If a cable, or any part of the cable breaks, one corner of your pup will not be able to lift and your trip will be doomed. The clamps will save the day! You will need a couple of strong arms to lift the corner while someone cranks up the top. As the poles extend, you place clamps at each point where one post slides into the other and it will prevent it from collapsing. This will hold it until you can fix it. Our camper needed two clamps for this to work. It saved our holiday! pic is an example. 15552898510876039662934859970225.jpg

10. Runawayhome

Runawayhome New Member

Thank you so much! This post has been a great help!

11. Scoutgoldcolorado

Scoutgoldcolorado New Member

HappyTraveler and KamperKel like this.
  12. Jspiceribarguen

Jspiceribarguen New Member

I canNOt find a patio rug! Have you? Sources?
    Thanks
    Jessica

13. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

What kind of patio rug are you wanting? I got a school logo one at Sam's. The big box stores have indoor outdoor you can get cut to whatever size you want.

14. Jspiceribarguen

Jspiceribarguen New Member

I tried to fine a Patty o’mat - something like that from another site but it was not available. I just need something that folds up and isn’t slippery when wet (tried a tarp the first time we went out and that did not work!) and helps keep the camper clean - something I can find at a Walmart where we can pick up on our trip this weekend!

15. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Almost any 8x10 or 9x12 indoor/outdoor rug will work. Wallyworld likely will have several to choose from.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Walmart has them, here is the link. You can check on the website for a WM store near you that has them in stock.

Not just any rug will do. Make sure it is 100% polypropylene, so water and dirt will drain right through it.

18. MNMom

MNMom New Member

I got one at Aldi. You could always go to Home Depot and have them cut you some indoor/outdoor carpet too.

19. JWeible

JWeible Member

HappyTraveler and Ken Lane like this.
  20. PotaFam

PotaFam New Member

I actually found some similar to the Walmart ones at Michaels last week. They roll up rather than folding but seemed to be basically the same material. Use an online 40% off coupon if they aren’t still on sale