My '81 Shasta

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by tahitidoug, Sep 15, 2010.

1. tahitidoug

tahitidoug New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Colfax
    Here is my '81 Shasta 130S. Picked it up for $300. Original owner bought it in Alaska so it has Suburban furnace in it. I never knew Shasta even Made tent trailers. I have had two Colemans prior to this one. Axle weight is 610 and tongue is 95.

[​IMG]

jnc, emoney and hayyward like this.
  2. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Jul 9, 2010
    I think my HHR could pull that. When I saw Shasta I was thinking "What's that doing here?" Tres chic, Doug.

3. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    CUTE! I like it. Got any inside pics?

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I didn't know Shasta ever made pop-ups either. When I saw the title I expected to see a small travel trailer with those little wings on the top rear. My dad had such a Shasta after he sold our pop-up in the '60s.

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Northern Nevada
    Looks cool! I'd love to see some inside pics too - especially that heavy-duty furnace. A pop-up in Alaska? I'm betting the furnace could melt iron...

6. bradnailer

bradnailer New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Never knew about the Shasta pop ups either. We had a Shasta trailer when I was a kid then my wife and I had one when our three daughters were smaller. By the time we had ours, the wings were optional. ha!

7. tahitidoug

tahitidoug New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Colfax
    I bought it from the second owner who as had it since 1983. He still had all the original paperwork including the sales literature, owners manuals, and plastic embossed owner registration card. Original owner lived in Skagway, AK. Furnace is awesome as it is one of the older ones that does not need any battery power as there is no blower or wall thermostat. I am in the process of replacing Formica on counters and table. Canvas is usable but I am gong to replace that too. I should have a nice light weight rig for a total of about $1500.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. huizarr

huizarr Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Nice. What is funny is those cushions look the same as the ones in my 1980 Starcraft.

9. tahitidoug

tahitidoug New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Colfax
    I tend to like the old Herculon type covering better than the newer velor stuff after having had both.

10. bearnbrie

bearnbrie Member

Aug 16, 2009
    East Texas
    I had an 82 model that was double bunkends. Looked just like this on on the inside. Ice Box, Three burner stove, sink. dinette. Used it for several years. The canvas got rotten and there was a soft spot in the floor. I sold it and bought the 03 Coleman we have now. It was a good little camper and used a lot.

11. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Jun 2, 2010
    That's way cool. I'm a sucker for the older and more unique pups.
    Good find!

12. clambert524

clambert524 New Member

Aug 7, 2015
    just rescued an old shasta pop up from a fence line.... just sitting there rotting away [:(]
    Havent been able to find any info on the Shasta POP UPS on line.... We need to do a ton of repair to ours and I just cant find anything anywhere online... Thought you might have suggestions... Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
  13. Txbum

Txbum Pop up, Pop Top, Chill....Ahhhh

Mar 25, 2013
    clambert524, I pm'd ( sent privet message ) to tahitidoug yesterday 08/12/2015...this is a old threaad, but who knows maybe he will reply. Txbum

14. Josh63640

Josh63640 New Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Just purchased a shasta popup and was wondering if anyone knows these suburban heaters good I got it fired up but I'm not sure if they will kick off and on automatically or if you just set them and they run till you turn them off can anyone help ?

Attached Files:

15. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It should turn off at the temp you have set the thermostat too, just like in a house. Then turn back on when the temp falls lower. Make sure you get a new carbon monoxide and propane detector. They are only good for 5 years.

16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I will echo Orchids sentiment above. And also add when searching for info don’t worry about the “Shasta” part and most pups used the same appliances and systems. Suburban is still making furnaces and water heaters so there’s tons of info out there. Thermostat was near the galley/dinette in mine. PO could have removed it if he was having a problem. If so, shouldn’t be hard to install a new one.