My Home-built Awning.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Logjammer, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Logjammer

Logjammer Member

I made an awning using an 8 ounce canvas drop cloth. Started with a 9X12 and it went to
    about 8X10.5 when pre-shrunk. Made the awning 7.5X9 feet for my 10ft box Flagstaff.
    Still some tweaking to do and spraying some water repellent on it.

IMG_0099.JPG IMG_0103.JPG

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

That'll work . Looks good and probably did not cost much to make the custom awning. Good luck and Happy camping , in the shade.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Jonson01

Jonson01 Member

Looks nice!

4. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Well done. I made one too out of a tarp.

5. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Looks good. What did you use for poles?

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Nicely done!

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I made myself one out of a tarp as well. Bought some tarp poles from amazon and folded a marine cord in the tarp to slide it in the awning track. Works great. Except my tarp is very long so doesn’t sit as nicely as yours when set up. So far only had trouble when it was windy and raining. The combination caused water to pool up.

8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Sure does look shady...or doesn't look shady...? How do I say nice shade without a double negative or pun problem here? [:D][:D]

Good Looking. There, that'll do it. [:O)] [{}=] [:O)]

HappyTraveler and Jonson01 like this.
  9. Logjammer

Logjammer Member

I sewed a loop in the front to insert a pole across the front so i could stretch it tighter. I made the
    loop large enough to sew it again back underneath to form an apron hanging behind the front pole.
    Hard to explain but it worked similar to the brought on awning front poles.
    Drop cloth was about $12.00 with painters discount at Sherwin Williams, poles I used are from an old tent.
    IMG_0105.JPG

10. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

Looks great! I just wanted to share my own experience to hopefully help you avoid the issues I had with a sail canopy I made for the patio out of the same canvas drop cloth.

Mine lasted a couple months before it was discolored and gross with mold and mildew spots and stains. This seamed to be caused by leaves and other nature garbage laying on it. I did not waterproof mine as it was primarily for shade, but that may have prevented it. You may want to look into a marine grade fabric protectant to keep it looking good....I wish I had.

11. Jennifer Knolton

Jennifer Knolton New Member

How did you attach to your camper & how do you store it for transport?

We went totally redneck using a tarp, flipped an edge around a length of RCA cable that we run through the bag awning channel . We have been threading it in at each campsite because we haven't figured out a means of leaving it attached for transport .The negative of doing that is that the tarp is wearing out from pulling it in & out .

12. Logjammer

Logjammer Member

I haven't used it yet for camping but plan on folding and storing inside camper for transport.
    I used 1/4 inch hard vinyl tubing sewed into loop at top of canvas to slide into awning rail.
    Slides in easy and feels like it will hold OK but will watch for wear. May rub the loop with bees wax.

______________________________________-

13. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Nice job!

14. jmkay1

Like you, I used a heavy duty tarp for my awning. I folded an end down and glued a marine rope in it. I just use my existing track, but yes unfortunately I feel the tarp will eventually wear the more I Take it on and off the track. Like you I have to store in in the camper during travel. I have yet to figure out a way to keep it on the camper during transit as a tarp would just dissinigrate in the wind. I figure if the tarp begins to wear too much as it goes into the track that I would just put garalla tape over it. So far my awning lasted 2 seasons and ready for season three.

15. EnchantmentCamper

EnchantmentCamper New Member

So I attempted to make a Homemade awning but haven’t had luck. I purchased a 8x8 ft white tarp and two telescoping paint poles from Walmart.
    So I’ve got the side on the existing track figured out but the grommets are much smaller than the poles and so we have no way to stand up the awning with the poles. suggestions?

16. Logjammer

Logjammer Member

IMG_0097.JPG I sewed a loop in mine to insert a pole for across the front and used a pvc corner fitting
    to join with verticle support pole ....
    IMG_0133.JPG IMG_0104.JPG

17. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

My awning bag finally succumbed to the sun UV's... I was just throwing everything up on the roof and used a couple of those web ratchet straps to hold it down when in travel mode... That didn't work out to good for me... I finally just removed the awning from my trailer...

Then I went to WALMART and got one of their 10x10 patio tents on sale... Comes in a nice tote and easy to put up. The only downside was it wasn't tall enough to scoot up next to the trailer. Won't let you open the door haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

18. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

You need the right poles for the grommets on the tarp. I use these from cabelas. Notice the metal point at the end, it easily fits through any grommet.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Adjustable-Height-Tent-Poles/745910.uts?slotId=2

19. Jennifer Knolton

Jennifer Knolton New Member

Our poles we're salvaged from a 10x10 popup that was not longer functional.

We have been using the tarp wrapped/taped around a length of coax cable but the pulling in & out of it's track has taken it's toll on the tarp. We are about to create a new one using actual cable made for the bag awning in hopes that it's not such a tight fit.

20. jmkay1

. An option is to see if you can buy new grommets in the size you need. Or to find new poles. I got my tarp poles on amazon and they fit perfectly on the traditional tarp. I personally bought four tarp poles, I use three for the awning 12’x12 but figured if I needed a lean-to for the dogs I can use it.