My new hitch has arrived

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Oct 18, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I ordered a new hitch for the TT earlier this week, and the Brown Truck has dropped it off. Since we're having an unusually warm October up here, I will probably try to install it on the TT in the storage yard today... once the sun rises.

We had what I would call an entry level WD hitch... a Husky with bars with chain links and pry-up hooks and a separate friction sway bar. It worked, but it was noisy and a pain to back up since you had to release the friction lock to really turn nicely. I live along the coast, and it's often windy, and I felt it. So I wanted a little more sway protection.

I'm kind of excited to see how well this new hitch works. I'm tempted to take it for a tow out of the storage yard just to test it out. I'll have to see how I feel. I toyed with mentioning the hitch I bought, but honestly, I agonized over the multitude of choices, hemmed and hawed and my DW finally just said "get what you want, and get it TODAY and get on with it", so I did. I'm just not interested in reliving the pros and cons of all the hitches out there. I made a decision, I'm happy with it, and just wanted to share that excitement with the community.

jnc, megcabra, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  2. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Good deal for you! I had my 25ft TT on and off 4 times before I was ready to say done. Feels stupid, but 1 hour of setup showed I can level that load and pull well down the road. I have a swaybar, but I run without it. Haven't had much sway, even thru Duluth hills and winds. Good stuff!

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I am still using an old school spring bar with chains and friction sway control set up. Noise is minimal and I have no trouble backing up.

4. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I'll admit I pull the chains and bars when I hit the campground - worried about pole vaulting it into an uneven pad.

Parking lots, curves, u turns go well for me!

5. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    What did you buy?? I have a Blue Ox... first wdh but so far very happy!!

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Since you won’t say what you got, I’m going to assume you went all in on a Hensley Hitch ;) That’s my story and I’m sticking to it [:D]

kcsa75 and generok like this.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Oooo. The Hensley.
    If you got a Reese SC, watch out for the bars hopping out of the friction saddles. Happened to me 3 times in 2 years. Now I have an Equalizer.

8. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I respectfully decline to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. :wink:

But, so far, my hitch hasn't been mentioned.

J Starsky likes this.
  9. generok

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I installed it, which was super easy. I put it on the truck, and it sits ABSOLUTELY level. SWEET!

JimmyM, Rusty2192 and megcabra like this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Sweet is right. Good work and safe towing! I towed without my WDH once to get it home from the dealer. Never again. It felt so light in the front. With the WDH it feels solid.