My UK Starcraft.

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by UKDiamond001, Jul 12, 2018.

1. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    The PuP arrived this morning, a slight disaster as the brakes were left partially on and the dolly wheel had dropped but I got some money back to compensate.
    [​IMG]
    When you see the pics I guess you'll copy the look on the OH's face......oh dear!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Well I put her to work on it as she loves playing with the hose and soon the PuP was showing promise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The previous lady owners had no idea how the stabilisers worked and spent money on the support modification to the bed end.
    [​IMG]
    A drop of WD40 and the legs were back in action.
    [​IMG]
    There's a couple of patches needed in the tenting but nothing too drastic. All the electrics are fine including the fridge. The stove has been taken out but as I already have a double burner camping gas and grill gas range as well as the electric wok, hob and kettle from the tent, no problem. I need to sort out the towing electrics to get rid of the tow board and source a spare wheel cover other than that an a touch up here and there, This old lady is good to go.
    The interior has been left to 'She Who Must Be Obeyed'!

2. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Nice

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks like you might have yourself a winner, just as soon as the boss get thru "making it her own" :) and should not be too long before ya'll are having great adventures.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

jnc likes this.
  5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Nice looking rig! I love the stabilizers (I have an old jack) and really dig the temp light bar you have to get it home. Pretty trick stuff!!

6. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Kudos on the find, she looks like she has great bones....the camper...I'm talking about the camper.
    DW looks lovely.

kcsa75 likes this.
  7. sceri

sceri Active Member

Jun 1, 2018
    Washington State
    Wow! She cleaned up nicely! Looks like you got a steal of a deal on that caravan. Look forward to more on this; with photos of course....

8. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Look what I found in the back of my desk.....was it really 2006?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    emoney likes this.
  9. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Okay, first call for help.
    As I said the previous owner ditched the stove, the female gas connectors are still in place inside and out. Can you identify the type for me from these photos. If I can get a male connector here in England it will save me a lot of time.....thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
  11. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Thanks emoney, I've emailed MB to source one. ;)

emoney likes this.
  12. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Looks like you are on your way to enjoying the pup already. Something very satisfying about fixing things and improving them.

13. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Very true, today we have the locks working so now I can open the under seat storage from outside, and lock the door. I've fitted a new nose wheel. temporarily patched a small hole in the canvas (until my proper canvas sewing awl kit arrives) which just leaves a small tear in the mesh window, the gas supply and the running electrics. Not bad for two days.
    MB Sturgis replied to my email.
    "That does not appear to be an M.B. Sturgis Quick Connect. It looks a lot like a hydraulic quick connect. The pipe leading to the QC appears to be flared. Perhaps this QC can be easily switched out to a newer QC designed for propane. Hope that helps, even if just a little."
    I may have to add a little bit of pipework to my skills

14. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Day three sees the tow hitch overrun gasket replaced and the gas supply sorted. Apparently quick connectors are illegal here in England for LPG so I plumbed it direct to the gas supply. I'll use the electric hob or picnic stove for cooking outside.
    Here's how she looks 3pm UK time looking through the tow bar end.
    [​IMG]

Her VIN is 1SAAS11E3C1M00304 which according to my research makes her a 1982 manufacture (10th letter C being the year). Not bad for 36 years old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    79venture, Rik Peery and megcabra like this.
  15. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    The interior restoration begins now that the canvas is off for stitching. The stick on vinyl has been removed exposing the original panels. I've also removed the extra stabilizers on the back bunk, they're not needed.
    Notice how SWMBO is blowing bubbles while I do the hard work in this heatwave.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  16. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Looks like it has good bones. A great project. So nice to see these vintage campers repurposed and put back into service. Good on you friend.

17. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    That quick connect looks like a standard compressed air fitting.
    While those are fine, I wouldn't use them for gas as they typically leak a bit.

Looks "airy" with the canvas off.

18. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    The LP quick connects have a lock on the side to make sure they do not come apart accidentally. It is looking really good since the first pix. prior to a good bath. Inside looks good to and mostly looks like it needs elbow grease and a few other minor hings. I think you have found a keeper for sure. I guess the DW is washing it with bubble soap:) Now for the mods to"make it your own"
    for some ideas try www.thepopupprincess.com There is some pretty good ideas there too. Good Luck and Keep on Camping

19. UKDiamond001

UKDiamond001 Member

Aug 5, 2006
    Suffolk UK
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone, the bed pods are now at the tent repairer who inspected and said he can patch them (although matching the material colour will be "near enough"), in my book she's battle scarred bless her.
    It's not the cheapest job but it will be done properly.
    I did see popupprincess, some good ideas. I also like https://www.thetwinklediaries.co.uk/tips-for-decorating-a-caravan-interior/
    not a pup but great inspiration.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    When I judged the camper by your first picture I pictured something far worse inside. She is actually in pretty good shape considering her age. Like you said a few things to fix before the fun really begins. Can't wait to see what you all have in mind.