My wheelchair modified PUP

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by quad80, Jun 6, 2009.

1. quad80

quad80 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Texas
    Hello, I am new to this forum and my first post. It's great they have this section to share information. I am a C5 Quadripledgic and have been a wheelchair user for 29yrs. I am married for 21 yrs and have twin 15yr olds.I wanted to share my setup and hear from others on their adaptations. I searched high and low for right model that I thought would work. I use a power wheelchair and I cannot transfer to bed myself. So I needed a unit I could modify the door, then devise a way to get into bed. The Utah model from Fleetwood offered a slideout and a drop door that was made wider. One cabinet was removed at door entrance. These mods where done by me for manf would not touch it. It's really was not that complicated. You know the saying "if there is a will, there's a way".
    I love the outdoors and always dreamed of camping with my kids, like I did with my family. I fell in love with PUP when my dad rented one when I was 10yrs old and we took it to Beavers Bend SP in OK. I hope to make that trip again one day in my setup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maycat and 12bar like this.
  2. dupreet

dupreet New Member

That is a cool setup. As you said, 'where there's a will, there's a way'. I am glad you are getting to camp and have done some one-of-a-kind mods to get yourself there!!

Take Care!

3. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Oct 28, 2008
    Dover,FL
    Great Job, So glad to see your able to get out and enjoy the great out doors.

I like your ramp, I considering making one for my pup. My bad hips and knees have a hard time with the steps on our pup. Thanks for the ideas.

Sharon

4. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Apr 4, 2009
    Greely, Ontario
    Thats a great setup, and you didn't loose much space in the pup. Enjoy!

5. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

Apr 5, 2008
    Mt. Washington, NH
    way to go ! I am sure there are other campers out there that would enjoy knowing it can be done, and with somewhat of ease!

enjoy it as much as possible !

6. Fourkids

Fourkids New Member

Feb 17, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Awesome! Good for you for living your dream. Hope you and your family have some great trips. Thanks for posting.

7. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Apr 15, 2007
    North Carolina
    Good deal. quad80 !

8. Sun Valley

Sun Valley "The Rain King"

Aug 11, 2007
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    That is wonderful! I hope you have a great time with your PUP! Happy Camping!

9. Fleaman

Fleaman New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Cool setup and good call, quad80. Good to see your sharing your mods with others who may want some ideas to travel in a PU. So, how do you deal with the bugs at night? Does the fabric door seal well, maybe with velcro?

Cheers,

Leigh

10. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

That's OUTSTANDING......as [:)C]you said were there a will there's a way. Great Job and Great Pics.

11. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

May 21, 2007
    Tigard, OR
    GREAT JOB.... Definitely if there is a will to camp, there is a way to get it done....

I have to ask a question though.... Being that it looks like you have removed the door frame. What do you use as a safety feature to hold the roof up in case a cable brakes? Other PUPs use a brace/sleeve around a lift arm or two. Fleetwood/Coleman used the door.

Just curious, I have a friend that would love this same mod.

12. quad80

quad80 New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Texas
    Thats a good point on the door mod. The factory screen door will not work when door is widen. I kept the same door jam, just moved it over. My wife is good with sewing so she made an enclosure like a tent that zips in center for entering and exiting. Velcro is used to seal it up. Good point also on screen door frames as safety measure on roof cable, one I had not thought of. Since I keep the personal lift in base at all times it would offer some measure of support in a total collapse. Another mention on wide door mod. The normal door doubles as a step. We beefed up the step on the gap we created when widen the door, so it can be stepped on w/o collapsing. Simple sheetmetal or factory order ext skin can be used to fill door gap, but must not be step on or will break. The bed slide rails was not touched or modified. I am sure this could work on other models, but PUP slides seem to offer a little more floor space for wheelchair. Jim

13. cdkline

cdkline New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Tennessee
    Way to go, you are a true inspiration to others. Happy camping and hope you have a great summer. :)

14. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

Aug 20, 2007
    Western MA
    Wow, this is truly one of the most useful mods I think I've ever seen, if not THE most useful. Nice job, and kudos for sharing it. I'm sure there are many other people who can benefit or eventually will benefit from this thread. Good for you for living your dream and camping, this looks like a top notch job!

15. bobhcs

bobhcs Colorado Springs

Apr 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Great job! I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy the outdoors!

16. kdavison

kdavison New Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Garland, TX
    Thank you so much for sharing your ideas and pictures.
    We have a daughter with Arthrogryposis and in a wheelchair.
    We just purchased a Jayco Eagle, but not sure it can be converted.
    It makes for a huge challenge to pick her up and carry her into the camper.
    Thanks again and enjoy!

17. getndusty

getndusty pull up a stump and sit a spell

Jun 15, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    That is killer!! Some of the pup manufactures might be interested in what you have done. I hope you get to enjoy all your favorite spots again.

Pure genius!

18. sandyaker

sandyaker Rock Hill, SC

May 19, 2009
    Rock Hill, SC
    That has to be one of the best mods I've ever seen.
    I think it is awesome you have the know how and motivation to tackle a project like that.
    Scott

19. br9

br9 Member

May 16, 2008
    Fort Worth Tx
    Way to go man. Happy camping to you and yours.

20. SCmomma

SCmomma New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    good for you........nice mods........SCmomma