Need a new stove

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by joegib1980, Feb 20, 2019.

1. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

I purchased my 2003 Jayco Eagle 12UDST a little over a year ago. It was missing the indoor/outdoor propane stove that mounts to the exterior wall. Does anyone know a good source to find these stoves? I can get a camping stove from Academy, but I want to be able to mount it to the mounting rail outside and plug it in to the propane connection.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You could always make a table for the mount. Then you would need to find a low pressure cooktops? Its low pressure correct?

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I took mine out. I found it was often too high or too low when I had a site that had an uneven slant or dropoff. I also found that I preferred to be able to put my stove in different places depending on how I set up the kitchen - no two trips have been identical so far. Currently my cook gear consists of a Camp Chef Weekender stove, a Blackstone 17" griddle and recently a Camp Chef stove/oven combo. This gives me far more utility than the dinky stove that came with my Jayco, and I often ran out of room as you needed to use small pots/pans in order to use all 3 burners. If I put one of my larger skillets on you could forget about using the other two burners.

My Camp Chef will run off the camper port, and in a pinch I can pull it inside and plug it in on the counter as well. The Blackstone will do the same thing - I just need to order an adapter.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

That exterior stove gas feed is a quick disconnect low pressure feed and not suitable for feeding most camping stoves that are high pressure and intended to be powered with a propane canisters. No point in buying a high pressure stove and trying to run it with a low pressure feed, it just won't work. As I recall Camp Chef does offer low pressure stoves so that might be one option to consider.

5. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I like the table idea. I have a 2-burner electric stove top that we use, as well as a griddle. But it's difficult to use both at once due to lack of counter space. So that would solve that problem. I'll also look into Camp Chef. Thanks for explaining the low-pressure/high-pressure deal. I had no idea that was even a consideration.

6. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

I got so tired of my low pressure stove that came with the pup that it currently resides in the attic of my house. The high pressure camp stoves are so much easier to use. Much higher heat output and portable. Some people build tables to attach to the spot the stove would hag off of on the side of the pup. They also sell camp kitchen tables that collapse. I usually just set mine on a level picnic table at the site of on the ground.

7. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

As others have said, low pressure stoves have some issues. We found that the OEM stove and plastic base was heavy, very wind-sensitive, too small, not hot enough, and when attached to the side of the camper, you can't turn it to keep it out of the wind. It sits in the garage loft while the Coleman 2 burner does a great job for us.

8. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Lots of these RVQ style grills sitting in attics unused, for good reason - they're junk. [:(O] If you want a grill / BBQ that works really well invest in a Weber Q which can be modified to run directly off a low pressure feed. That said, I thought you were asking about an outside stove, not a grill. [?:~{]

10. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

I think one of the people I talked to when I was looking for a pup said they moved the outside stove off the side mount because the heat was shrinking the vinyl window just above it.

Like yours, my outdoor stove disappeared in a previous life. We have a 3-burner Coleman white gas stove I'll use outside instead. Don't have to worry about the gas line being only a few feet long that way. :D

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  11. joegib1980

joegib1980 Member

I was at first, but it kind of morphed..

12. Sjm9911

Ok. So my 2 cents. Make a table for the side of the camper, put your cofee pot there. Then get a portable stove or combo stove grill. Get a folding table for it , or i seen someone make a stand out of a folding chair just using the legs. Coleman makes a stove grill combo. 1 burner and a grill , i think.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

14. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

I took my stove out when I rebuilt the counter tops in my pup. It's buried in the garage somewhere now. We take the table out of the pup and set it up under the awning and use our 40 year old Coleman 2-burner outside. We never cook inside.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  15. Debdon Journeys

Debdon Journeys New Member

I Know Forest River is selling the Geo Pro with a Coleman Stove, higher btu output less chance of blowing out, more flexibility in being able to put it where you want. We have a Coleman two burner with 1 lbs cylinders I had it before the PUP and I like it plus it gives me a plan B

16. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I use the inside/Outside factory two burner for making coffee outside and other tasks. I also have the Coleman combo grill:/burner stored/deployed in my chuckbox. I have a folding Coleman exponent kitchen and deploy a Coleman propane skillet. I find cooking outside is the most enjoyable part of camping. Not one type of plug in appliance and 4 ways to make coffee lol.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We use the stove outside on our '01 12 UDST all the time, in fact it is the only place we ever cook. We don't have any issues with it, although if it is very windy outside, then you need to enhance the side windshields for best cooking. If you look on ebay, there are a variety of RV stoves that you can make a mounting for and mount outside. They are all low pressure, you would just need to have the right fitting for the quick connect. We have also mounted an additional rail just down towards the end further on our camper. We set up a 2' x 4' table mounted to the rail with an adjustable leg on it to level it. We can put cooking items on it, wash dishes on it.... I like to cook at the edge of the camper because our food is right inside the camper, the camper is one solid surface to block any wind, and if the weather is not good, we have the awning set up and can cook under it. I think you tend to cook based on what you are used to, but it is nice to be able to use the camper propane and camper stove - one less thing to have to worry about. This year, I will need to make a new wooden box / mount for the stove (the stove is built into it) as it has gotten all dinged up over the past 15 years of use. But it is just a couple of pieces of 1/2 ply with a few cutouts and it will be like brand new.

18. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

If you ever travel 5 hrs to the DFW area to camp, I have the grill to our 2001 Jayco sitting in the garage, you can have it. [CC] not sure if it would be the same fit?

neighbormike likes this.
  19. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Hello! We removed our stove to the garage too cause it was not too hot and probably was defective and bought Winco EIC-400C from here https://mcdonaldpaper.com/cooking-equipment. We needed something small for basic cooking and it was enough, doesn't take a lot of space, works properly.