Need a tongue jack

Discussion in 'Taking Your Camper Off Road' started by Overland, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Anybody have a preference or recommendation on a soft larger diameter tire/wheel for ease of maneuverability in the backcountry? Pup has the standard solid skinny wheel and i'll need additional height as well.

Appreciate any input..

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have not seen anything bigger than the Double tire ones and those are not any higher that the stock wheel. If you have welding skills or know someone who does it would be easy to buy a 10" Caster/wheel and make it work.

Overland likes this.
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I ran across a thread somewhere (big help I know) where a guy had modified his jack with two inflatable wheels that sat side by side on the outside of where the stock plastic wheel bolts.
    Looked like it worked really well.
    He used a spacer in place of the stock wheel, and all thread for the axle I believe.

Overland likes this.
  4. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Just looking at etrailer.. lots of options for a jack. None with soft tire but i'm feelin cocky about fabricating something up. ;)

Maybe a wheelbarrow wheel and tire? Too large for a small single wing pup? Would make it easier to move around in non established camp locations?

When I built the frame (from two donors) I installed the landing legs at all 4 corners for stability.. with that done i'm not worried about the trailer moving.. especially with a chock. Am I thinking right here? Remember.. i'm new to this stuff.

[o!!!o]

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    If you have a jack with a wheel on it now ....... You would need to remove the wheel you have and make a spacer to fit between the now 2 empty forks, a piece of pipe may work. You will also get I would suggest some hand truck wheel/tires and make an axle to go thru the new wheel, spacer, and second wheel.
    With a little work you make this work. Just a suggestion.

By the way I am not a fan of jack wheels, just for the record.

6. Overland

Overland Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    Think the one I have is garbage, but i'll take another look. Bet McMaster Carr would have a large selection of wheels.

Why aren't you a fan?

Good option..

Better option? Wheel is a bit larger in diameter and a greasable jack.. are they all mostly?

Appreciate it guys..