Need Help Indentifying Dexter Axle Grease Hub Housing

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by PopGoesMyLove, Mar 6, 2015.

1. PopGoesMyLove

PopGoesMyLove New Member

I recently purchased a Jayco 806 series that I basically tore apart to start a full rebuild ( building a camper on the frame ).

Just ordered bigger rims and tires and would like to know more about the type of axle system I have.

The axle from what I've been told is a rubber torsion axle, it had a sticker on it ( now removed ) that read it was built by Phillips with the Dexter " D " logo on it.

I've searched all over the net comparing the part that's mounted on my trailer and have seen similar grease housing hub units but have yet found any that are identical.

As you can see in the pic, mine has some sort of ring/spring around the interior of the housing, have yet to see any like this one anywhere on the net that is made by Dexter,close but not exact.

Also the plastic hub caps read Haul Master, probably doesn't mean much as someone could of simply put them on there.

Is this a Dexter EZ Lube?

I'd like some info in order to do proper maintenance on it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

[​IMG]

2. PopGoesMyLove

PopGoesMyLove New Member

I just went on Northern Tools site and found these, they look identical to the ones on my trailer, but if someone replaced the original Dexter ones, should they work the same?

' These patented Ultra-Tow High-Performance Stainless Steel Bearing Protectors protect hub bearings on all types of trailers from water and dirt. Kit includes two bearing protectors featuring grease level indicators, which indicate when grease should be added. Bearing protector covers sold separately. '

The trailer rides like a dream but I'm always concerned about safety first!

[​IMG]

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

If those are what you have, you would be best served by removing them and throwing them in the trash. Replace with regular dust caps.

The EZ Lube is a good system, be happy with them. Bearing buddies are junk and will result in you eventually greasing your brakes.

I can't tell from the first pictures what you have.

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

They are for boats and are obsolete. Most all trailers come with easy lube hubs. Don't use them.

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

It also looks to me like those are some sort of bearing buddy clone, you said the caps say "Haul Master" . That is the in house brand of garbage sold by China Harbor Freight Junk. like everyone else said they need to go. I'd remove them just because they came from Harbor Freight.

Pull one off and see if the end of the spindle looks like the end of the spindle HERE and is tapped out for a zerk fitting or still has the original zerks under that thing, then you'll know if you have an easy lube. Thats a link to a conventional axle but the torflex will have the same nut, retainer and zerk. Possibly some dufus pulled the zerks and installed those thinking he gained something. He didn't. Older easy lubes can look different than the pictures in that link but the way to tell is if the end of the spindle is drilled and tapped for the fitting.

Just because its a Dexter or a torsion axle does not mean its automatically an easy lube. It could still be one that you need to repack the old fashioned way.

If its a Dexter axle it will have a stamped part number usually dead center of the axle tube.....might be hard to find. You'll have to use a wire brush and some oil most times on an older axle to find it. You can look that number up at Dexter or email it to Dexters support and they'll tell you exactly what you have.

6. PopGoesMyLove

PopGoesMyLove New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I removed some minor rust off the entire trailer with a wire grinder and did not see any sort of serial number on the axle, just the sticker that it was made by Phillips with the Dexter D logo on it.

The axle is square about 3 to 4 inches wide

Over the weekend I plan to disassemble one side to see what's beyond these cheap grease housings, hopefully I will find some sort of wording or parts numbers etc.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this so I can replace any and all parts with original parts if need be.

Thanks again, I'll upload some pics once I take it apart.

7. PopGoesMyLove

PopGoesMyLove New Member

Today I installed the new tires and rims and this is what I found.

[​IMG]

" Made In Taiwan " grease housing crap!

I tried taking it off but couldn't, honestly I wouldn't know how so any help on how to take it off would be appreciated.

I'd like to be able to replace the bearings as well, any info on how to does this?

8. Longbow

Longbow New Member

Use a hammer and tap on it on alternate sides and sort of rock it out, like you would a normal cap.

9. budlight

budlight Member

It looks like you do not have brakes on the trailer, so the excess grease will not contaminate the brake shoes. I would not throw away the grease caps,after repacking the bearings put them back on and give a squirt of grease before each trip and your bearings will last a long time. I've had those on some of my boat trailers and they work good. [2C]