Need new tires on my Jeep

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Natureangel, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    Well my tires are due to be changed and I am very confused with all the options out there. All the tire dealers have recommended different ones and I’m hoping for a little help here.
    I have a 2014 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 limited. I’m by Chicago so I want all season.
    Any advice appreciated.

2. Dudman5703

Dudman5703 Jeep Guy

Apr 17, 2012
    Grand Rapids, MI
    It's really going to depend on what you want to do...
    My favorite "all season" tire I used were the BFGoodrich All-terrain tires.
    They're not super expensive, don't make a lot of road noise, and lasted me a good while.

Since then my buddy has got a set, and so has my dad on his XJ and they've both liked the tires.

3. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    There are probably no less than 50 styles / brands of tires that will fit your vehicle's size.

Each shop was probably getting an incentive to push one brand over another.

I think Tirerack.com has a very nice tire decider tool:
    https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/tire_decision_guide.html

You'll get a question about driving off road. Unless you actually drive off road, answer no. (Dirt roads don't count)

the next screen will ask you to rank your preferences.

Now on to the second part. Once you have decided on a tire, or a few tires that you want, you can either buy thru tirerack, or find it local.

How does this work? I bought my first set of Yokohama Geolander tires back in 2004 this way (no dealer had ever heard of them). Now they are considered a "premium tire" so much, that I can't afford them anymore. I bought the first set from TireRack. Every set of tire after that (different cars, different applications) I usually find it local, and they will match tireracks price.

That's important, most places will pricematch, but they will usually insist on including shipping.

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Based on where you live..
    Do you already have proper snow tires ? (all season tires are marginal at best in winter)
    Do you ever venture off road?
    based on the answer to above...
    If you have a set of proper winter tires and do 90% of your driving on paved roads, the I would look at something like original oem "P" tires (dueler at's, I think)..

If you do not have a set of winter tires or venture off road, I would look at the BF Goodrich KO2 AT tires in an LT rating ...

5. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Active Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    BFG KO 2 are noisy on the highway, will cost you at least 1 mpg and are overkill for something that doesn't go off road.
    My wife has these on her Jeep, they do great in rain and snow, are pretty quiet and seem to be holding up well.
    https://simpletire.com/goodyear-p245-70r16-758495189-tires

6. Joe H

Joe H New Member

Apr 11, 2017
    Southern IN
    I have Cooper Discoery HTP on my AWD Durango and love them. My dad runs Cooper on his Dodge 2500 Diesel. I will get another set of Coopers when these wear out on my car....have 45k on them and rated for 65k. Been great tires.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Do wrangler tires fit? If so check let go. Lots dump there steelies to put on bigger tires so a set can be had cheap.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    BFG Radial AT's get my vote. They are LT tires and have the mountain/snowflake symbol. They are quiet on the road and do great in the snow. They are usually a long lasting tire.

Snow likes this.
  9. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    I recently replaced my worn out BFG ATs with Goodyear Wrangler SRAs on my TJ, I don't get off road much anymore. They don't seem to track any better than the ATs but they are quieter, up to about 55 mph or on asphalt. On concrete, at 70 mph, they are just as loud as the ATs, but you probably won't notice it so much in your GC.

I'll be replacing the tires on the Silvy this summer and I may go with the SRAs on her also.

10. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    See two years ago I went the other way.. got rid of the wornout stock GY SRA's and went with the BFG KO2s .. Love them, quiet, work great in the winter..

xxxapache likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I basicly gave my steelies away, I picked up stock 17s new , set of 5 with rims and tpsm for 600. Just did the same for the pick up, new tires and rims for 700. So if that's an alternative take a look.

12. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    I haven't heard this one mentioned yet but I use a website called tiresizecalculator.com. It is useful for a lot of things but when you enter your tire size offers come up with multiple tire suppliers so you can compare tires and prices. I've bought 5 sets of tires using this website. They get delivered to your home and I've never even paid shipping. I work at a car dealership and can buy tires wholesale through our parts department but this way usually saves me 25 to 40. bucks per tire.

13. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Correction on my above post the website is tiresize.com

14. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Do you have a stock wheel on it or is it some type of custom special addition? I personally will never buy anything but Michelin when I go to replace mine no matter what current deals there are. Stock wheels should be your choice of options to fit; if they are custom off road wheels then you are kind of stuck with what tire fits.

15. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Last 3 sets of tires have been Michelin LTX's. We get 70-80k on them with tread left to spare. Quiet on the road too. Last set of 4 was $520 out the door for our 4runner.

16. jumpoff

Nov 3, 2015
    North East Florida
    Those are good tires and that's a good price.

17. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Anything but Badyears, All I have ever had were too prone to stone bruising. And not only me, but others around here with the same issues.
    I am currently running MileStars. I haven't found anything to beat the cost per 32nd. and the same with the CPM so far.