Need new tires. Please help. Need advice

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by QueenIrene78, Mar 16, 2017.

1. QueenIrene78

QueenIrene78 New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    We bought a used 1998 Coleman Grandview SP last spring. We used it 4x but didn't go far from home (Long Island, NY)
    It has a flat tire. We want to replace them and buy new ones. What size and type do we need? We want them to be extra safe for our children, economical, and we also want to venture out of State this summer. Thanks in advance.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    What size do you currently have?

3. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    We'll need some more info.

Find the tire size, and post it, (or take a picture, and post that)
    [​IMG]

Here's a chart that expains things.

[​IMG]

While your out there, take a look at the Date code for all of your tires (Spare included) and post that here too. We might have some comments on that too....
    [​IMG]

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My 98 coleman bayside has 185/80R13 tires. I am 99.9% certain that is the size you need. The only difference is radial tires or bias ply tires. The R in the tire size means radial. If it was D then it would mean it was bias ply.

So the question is do you get radials or bias ply. They cost about the same from etrailer.com. This is the question I'm struggling with.

QueenIrene78 likes this.
  5. QueenIrene78

QueenIrene78 New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Thanks for replying. Sorry It took a few days to get a picture.
    Tires says 185 / 60/ D 13
    Treads are ok but side walls are cracked. We are going to replace. Where can I get tbe best deal?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  6. QueenIrene78

QueenIrene78 New Member

Apr 1, 2016
    What is the the difference between radial and bias ply?

7. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Radial, more expensive, longer tread life, tolerates higher speeds (runs cooler).
    Bias Ply, inexpensive, lower speed rating (55Mph max usually), more tolerant of bad roads.

Often, your tire size will determine if you buy a Radial or a Bias tire.
    Tire life. Trailer tires are recommended to be replaced every 6 years by the DOT, as its not the number of miles, but the age that usually determines the replacement.

I'm not sure you got that number you posted right. 185/60/13 is an odd size (I see more 180/80/13) Not saying your wrong, just wanted you to check.
    The D in the size is the Load Range. (*Edit*: I was wrong, This indicates the type of tire, in this case, bias ply construction *Edit*)
    You need to figure out your Load Range.
    You'll see this listed as LRD, LoadRange D, or 8 Ply Tires. This is important as this is the weight the tire is rated to support. Load Range A is the smallest, Load Range E is the biggest. You need to make sure you get a correct load range tire. Load Range D or Load Range E.

Most people here purchase Tires and Wheels (the rim) as a combo. They are shipped to you already mounted and balanced. You just have to jack up a side, and swap the wheel.

I bought 1 tire local (who said they couldn't get anymore of my size, I have a wierd one as well)
    I bought 2 tires from http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com, and then had my RV dealer throw them on while I had the bearings repacked. (I didn't know how to do it, so I paid someone to do it the first time, more on this below)

Others have bought from:
    https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Tires_and_Wheels-sf-Tire_with_Wheel-gw-185|80~13-pc-13_Inch.aspx
    tirerack.com
    Pep Boys
    Walmart
    Costco, etc (I think you get the point)

I mentioned repacking bearings. Some people recommend doing it every year. Other do it when they replace the tires. It's a very subjective subject. Everyone agrees when you buy a Used trailer to assume it's never been done, and to do it fairly quickly.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I agree you definitely need load range D. However the D in the tire size IS NOT the load range. It is the internal construction of the tire. For a complete explaination, please read

https://www.etrailer.com/faq-tires.aspx

9. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    I had to buy tires right away before I brought my trailer home because it had the original 20 year old tires and I didn't want to take the chance so I went to Discount and bought a new set of radials in that size. They offer their replacement certificates even for trailer tires for $10 each so I think that is totally worth it as they will replace any damage for any reason. I did find this tire at Amazon which I may buy for a spare. Seems like a great price for a radial.

10. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I'm waiting to hear from discount tires, they are ordering my tires for me. The ones they had in stock were 2 1/2 years old. They don't know how old the tires that are ordered will be.

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I just purchased two from etrailer. 96 apiece with rims. Made in November. They replaced tires that came with the camper that had a dat of Nov 03.

12. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I bought mine (2 tires mounted on new rims) from Camping World for $97. By the time I priced out the mounting at a local shop plus my time/gas, it was cheaper and easier than just buying the tires only. As a bonus, I turned around and sold the old ones for $20 on craigslist.

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Keep in mind many of these tires shops will get the cheapest pieces of Chinese junk they can find.. It is up to you the purchaser to do the research and findout not only where but who makes the tires..

14. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    That is what I thought. Like the ones on Amazon for 40 dollars or so on rims, I figure they can't be that great, but should be fine for a spare.

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    All depends on the name.. and would you want a Chinese bomb as your tire if you had to use the spare ??

16. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Active Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    I've had great luck with tires from Etrailer.

17. jm88

jm88 Member

Feb 12, 2017
    You have a good point. I would hope they would last at least a couple hundred miles which is probably the farthest I would be away from home, but who knows. Rather than just getting the current spare replaced (which is probably 20 years old and unused so I don't trust it), maybe I'll check out the ones at etrailer since they are only $15 more. I'll keep the old spare too to have two just in case. I guess it would be better than nothing in a pinch.

18. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I had radials on my camper which I changed due to there age. I put bias tires on it and after two years I can start to see wear in the threads. I will be going back to radials.

19. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    What brand tires?

20. doggirl

doggirl Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Y'all really got me thinking. I just investigated our tires and learned they appear a somewhat non-reliable Chinese brand Trail Express that came with the Forest River. They look ok but must have about 1500 - 2000 miles already. We have two bigger trips planned this summer of about 300 and 500 miles. Interestingly it looks like they were made in 2012 and we purchased a 2014 model Flagstaff 176LTD. Googling revealed that these kinds of tires could blow and do some camper damage, among other things I'd suppose.
    The current tires are ST145R12 load range E. It appears that the recommendation is to replace tires with rims - if we have aluminum, should we stick with aluminum? What would be some decent replacement brands to explore? And about the bearings - I guess they should be repacked?
    Are these easy enough jobs to be done by the novice at home? We are pretty far from the nearest dealer but we are near the shore so maybe a boat trailer place could be of help in a pinch.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer.