Need to get back to camping...dry camping

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by gottria, Aug 12, 2018.

1. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    Just got the pup back in shape after a 2 year, no camping dry spell. Repacked the wheel bearings, had tires inspected, new AC unit, replaced leaky toilet valve, battery still good, hot water rod still good, checked all plumbing no leaks, and a few minor things fixed. Shes been mostly camped in with full hookups and I need to ween my wife off of that, it's nice but I need to do some dry camping in there to get some really nice sites. Problem is I don't think my pup is ready. I need to spend more time in the other forums to get geared up for it.

emoney likes this.
  2. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

Apr 1, 2017
    What do you need to do to get it ready? I boondock all the time, and it does not take that much. Lots of times I stay in campgrounds with no hookups, you could try that first to kinda get her used to it. I like to do that as most of the time they at least have pit toilets.

3. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    Fresh water system is 100% go, no leaks and hot water system is good. My problem is the power, I have a single 12v deep cycle battery. I swapped all the lights to LED bulbs, and have a Ryobi bluetooth 2,300 inverted generator if needed to charge during the day. Blue tote for the gray water as my 06 Niagara doesn't have a gray water tank. Only think I believe I need is a power station to run my Cpap machine at night.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Get a 12 volt power supply for the cpap, online at cpap.com if not covered by your insurance, and run it off of the pup battery. Run the gennie a couple of hours per day to keep the battery topped up.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  5. gottria

gottria Member

May 26, 2015
    Castro Valley, CA
    What's the most efficient way to charge the battery? Hooked up to the TV and ran or use the generator? Thinking of adding a 2nd battery on the inside right under the front couch.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Generator will be more efficient that your tow vehicle. Get a couple AGM deep cycle batteries and you should be able to limit your generator to minimal daily use.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  7. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    Most efficient way to recharge with generator and use a stand alone recharger. Bypass the converter and run the wired charger right to battery.

8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Solar panel. TV charging is no good

9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Do a some research before you do this.
    Usually, advice I've seen given (I'm not an expert at this)
    • Batteries should match sizes and types
    • Wet cell batteries must be vented
    • Certain kinds of (expensive) batteries do not need to be vented (I think this is AGM)

10. bpf108

bpf108 New Member

Jul 30, 2018
    I just spent a couple nights dry camping with a Cpap, used a 500watt inverter on the Pup's 12v battery and a 40w Coleman Solar Panel for recharging. Ran the Cpap for 8 hrs the first night and 8.5 the second night. Also ran the pump and some lighting without issue and plenty of power left on the 3rd day.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Correct. AGM batteries are sealed and do not require venting. They also do not need water added, etc. I have Optima AGM batteries, but I've been hearing really good things about the Lifeline brand.