New a/c cord install

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Got my new power cord in the mail today. Waiting til it cools off a bit to start installing it. I took most of the a/c apart last night and looks like more of a pain than I thought it would be.

I hate working on things above me anyway, my arms get tired fast. Wish me luck.

20180707_133138.jpg

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Good Luck!

Orchid likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You'll get it done. I have total faith in you!

Orchid likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Take a photo of the back of the switch with the old wires on it, And if the wire is in a channel or the beam going across the roof, tie some strong string or fishing line to the old cord before you pull it out. The string will help to pull the new cord thru.I usually have a little dish of dish washing soap and water handy, it makes the cords slipper to route.

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Take some pictures if you have any doubt as t where the wires go.
    BTW: I share your dislike for working over my head.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    A trick that might help. Get as close to the work as possible so your arms are not stretched.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Then you head hit a the ceiling and your neck is strained. It's a no win situation!

Orchid likes this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    And you are too close to see.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Orchid If it starts to frustrate you or you get tired, just put it aside until you can relax a bit and go back to it, ( do as I say do not as I do :)) I have faith that you will get the job done, just take your time... Good Luck

10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When I am working on a camper I just remind myself that it's all about the good times camping so the pain & aggravation is worth every bit of it!!

Orchid likes this.
  11. Orchid

I happily report that it is DONE! I took photos, and even videos, every step of the way. Didn't want to get confused about where everything went ... especially the wiring.

I was able to bring it down and work on it at the table. It only requires a clipped back into the part hanging out of the ceiling. That was a God send! Tomorrow, the cover goes back on and I will go to Lowe's for wiring and outlet for that part. That will be easy, cheap, and fast. The hard part is done.

By tomorrow evening, I should be able to test it out!

Thanks everyone, for the well wishes!

kitphantom likes this.
  12. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I bet you do go camping before Oct. after all you have to test the A/C out :)
    Pebbles and I are finally going 24-27 his month (July) to 3 rivers SP.I had to cancel last trip due to Dr. appointments. I have made up my mind that come heck or high water I am going this month.

Orchid likes this.
  13. Orchid

I came VERY CLOSE to reserving 5 days mid August, at the beach. There are 3 sites available at my favorite place. I am undecided. It's really hot, and lots of jellyfish in the summer. Not much usually stops me, though. DH is up in WV, so I would have to figure things out myself. I think I can do it by myself. I just need a bit of confidence. Dependence comes from relying on someone else to long. I have lost the VERY INDEPENDENT woman I used to be. I'm finding her again! I started with the a/c repair today. :)

I just need to get one of those flags with a magnet on them, to show me where to back up to on the camper.

14. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Congrats on getting your a/c done! It's a great feeling when to know you can do it yourself.

Orchid likes this.
  15. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Orchid, you got it going on girl.

Orchid likes this.
  16. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida

I just need to get one of those flags with a magnet on them, to show me where to back up to on the camper.[/QUOTE]

The cheapest place is Harbor Freight actually they are extendable rods (like an portable radio) magnet on one end and a tennis looking ball on the other, I sit one on the lip of the trailer tongue, then one on the ball on the TV, just back up keeping them inline, I usually stop just before closing and get them the same height, The I back up and when they meet one usually falls down you should be right on or close to it. when putting them up Do not fold the top all section the way in and open it by pulling on the ball, the ball will come off and it is not going to stay on after that.
    here is the HF URL
    https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...red+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=trailer+alignment+

Good luck and Happy Camping

Orchid likes this.
  17. Orchid

Almost a full week later, but I'm proud to say I have replaced 100% of the wiring, the receptacle, and the plug. My a/c is working better than it ever has and I'm completely stoked that I did it all myself.

It really only took two evenings, I just didn't work on it again until tonight. Once I opened the converter, I found what I believe to be the problem and reason it shorted out. Both of the wires to the a/c (other than ground) were very loose. The wire nuts were coming off and wires were only barely hanging onto each other.

Took all that out, installed brand new wiring. Now all the wires are brand new and tight! Both on the unit and coming into the camper. The new outlet and plug fit together so tightly, I love it! The old one plug was always trying to fall out of the outlet.

Girl Power!!!

Dan from Troup and jnc like this.
  18. nineoaks2004

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Some times it take longer than at first glance / thought and our darn heat is not helping either.
    I have to cut grass every other day, it seems and that takes a couple of days with the pastures etc. Glad you got it all done and at least you know what is what now and hopefully you will not have to do that job over again. Goes to show what can be done if you really want to. Now to go camping give it all a try to show off a bit and exercise your bragging rights :).
    I bet you do not wait till October now to go camping !( I hate to be an "I told you so") camping gets in the blood. Good Luck and Keep on Camping.

Orchid likes this.
  19. Orchid

I've already exercised my bragging rights far and wide! :laugh: There is nobody that knows me, that doesn't know, at this point, as I put it on facebook. I get super excited when I do something that I would normally consider beyond my abilities, and do it successfully. I have low self esteem, like a lot women, so try to boost myself up when appropriate. Something I would have never done even 10 years ago.

I DO really want to go camping and have been eyeballing two sites available for 5 and 6 nights at Fort Clinch mid-August. Now it has been decided that I can't reserve since I have surgery scheduled for August 7th. The surgery is an answer to many prayers, so I will willingly take it over camping. And insurance is paying for it in full. [SUN]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    nineoaks2004 and jnc like this.
  20. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    So what did you do about the loose wire nuts?