New Canvas

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by gubeedal, Apr 11, 2018.

Which do you think is the better canvas replacement option?

1. Direct from manufacturer (Jayco)

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Bear Creek Canvas

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Hello!

Our 1999 Jayco Heritage Laurel (or is it Laurel Heritage?) is in need of some new canvas. I'm not too worried about it. It still has the original canvas, so that would mean it is almost 20 years old. Just normal wear and tear, but needs to be done before we get hit with a hard rain while using the camper. I have a feeling some places would leak.

I've looked into two options...
    1. Ordering direct from a Jayco dealer. They quoted me at $888.99, plus freight charges, but did not tell me what those freight charges would be. The closest Jayco dealer to me is over an hour away, so you also have to factor in two hours of driving just to pick it up.

2. Ordering from Bear Creek Canvas. According to the drop price guide, it would be about $1,050, and shipping is free.

Any opinions on which is the better option? I am more apt to go with Bear Creek Canvas as I have heard good things about them, and like the idea that it will come directly to me, but also feel like I could save close to $300 (depending on the freight charges) by going with the Jayco canvas and it is a canvas ordered from my camper's manufacturer. Both have their pros.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Jayco or jayco from canvas replacements

rich2 likes this.
  3. davekkk

davekkk Active Member

Oct 7, 2013
    My vote is Bear Creek, but anytime you can get something factory direct you typically get a better warranty and know you will get an exact fit replacement.

4. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Call around to other Jayco dealers. I did the exact same thing (have the same year/model pup as you) and I was able to get my canvas for way less than your quote. I think I paid $500 for mine. The closest dealer wanted around $800, but another in the area gave me a much better price. Showed up in about a week and I just made a 3 hour round trip to pick it up.

I would highly recommend the Jayco canvas if you can get it. For one the color is better - you have the sea green color now - the one you will get is a beige color, which I think looks much better. You also will get side windows on the dinette slide - these were added in 2000/2001 I think so you will get the free upgrade. Of course the windows will all be tinted as well. I also noticed that they changed the backing to a synthetic material - it is lighter than the heavier canvas material that came in 99. It does seem to make a difference when packing it up during take down. You will also get new lift post covers as well - not sure if those are included with Bear Creek or not.

I am extremely happy with mine, and was even happier I got such a good deal on it. The place I bought it from has since been purchased by Camping World though, so I can't guarantee they would have the same price again.

5. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016

Thanks! Is the color the one that it is your camper picture? Do you have the two King Bed/bathroom model too? I seriously LOVE the Laurel so darn much. I called one other dealer, and they were about $100 less, but also said plus freight charges. They said it all depends on how they ship to them. could be $50, could be a couple hundred (which sucks) I hate not knowing that.

Actually got another question for you. We lost our keys. I have read that they are all similar and a local locksmith quoted me close to $100 to create new ones. Do you happen to know where I could possibly get just basic keys to try if they work?

6. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Yes - my profile pic has the new canvas. Mine is a 99 Laurel, same as yours. king beds, dinette and shoilet. I am almost positive the keys are the same - most campers use the same ones for storage hatches, etc. I'll take a look at mine and let you know the codes, you should be able to get keys on line pretty cheap. I bought some spares for my Yakima roof box not too long ago on ebay, dirt cheap as long as you have the key code.

I think you are up north, IL maybe? Check the Jayco website and call in neighboring states. Gives you an excuse for a day trip somewhere, or head out for the weekend with the pup to start off the camping season!

7. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Thanks! Yes. We are near Chicago. I have looked in Indiana and Wisconsin, and it actually seems like the one closest to me is actually the cheapest. If you could let me know the key numbers that would be AMAZING.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    If you can get it at a reasonable price from the Jayco dealer, those who have gone that route have seemed pleased.
    Otherwise, Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek Canvas have similar prices and reputations, (usually) with slightly different options for color, and so on. (Yours is probably one they both have the pattern for, but that can be a factor.)

9. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    CH1 for the outside half door
    HC701 - city water hatch
    CH751 - screen door latch
    Southco 715 barrel key - front storage trunk wing doors

Lostakey has the regular style keys and I found the southco one on Amazon. Looks like it is available elsewhere too.

I can check with my local hardware store and see if they can make copies of mine and I can send them to you. Might be cheaper.

10. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Thank you so much for this! I ordered them from lostakey. Also calling a few other Jayco dealers in the area. I have family in neighboring states, calling Jayco dealers by them too and seeing if they could pick it up for me.

11. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    So... i talked to one dealer about 2 hours away from me. They were the cheapest at $568. BUT they said the tent is the new kind which is sectionalized. Is this the kind you have? She said each area connects with zippers.

12. Sneezer

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Mine is all one piece, like the original. I wasn't aware that they made a sectioned one. I'll see if I can find my invoice with a part number. When I ordered I gave them the VIN and the part number that was on the old canvas, which was on a tag on the dinette side under the roof on the outside portion. They did have to cross reference it as I recall to get the new part number.

13. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Thanks! You have been a real help in all this. I appreciate it SO SO SO much! I am probably ordering my canvas next week. they said it should take about four weeks to get it.
    BTW, Lostakey already shipped my keys! So quick!

14. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Nope, wrong thread

15. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    New tent is officially ordered. Total was $645 with tax and freight charges. I thought that was a pretty good price. I talked to the dealer and she told me that Jayco used to make all these themselves, but have since started using outside venders for the older pop up models. They told me 4-6 weeks until I get it. So... now we wait.

Orchid and jnc like this.
  16. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

May 29, 2013
    I see that you got your canvas ordered... that's great. We got ours from Bear Creek. Very happy with it. I've also done business with Canvas Replacements. I wouldn't have any hesitation ordering from them either. I do wish they would offer a metal zipper option though. I'm not a fan of plastic zippers.

17. gubeedal

gubeedal New Member

Jul 16, 2016
    Just a quick update for anyone viewing this thread later:
    1. My camper has returned from winter storage and my keys from Lostakey all work great. Thanks @Sneezer for sending me the info on that one.
    2. My canvas came in! The Jayco dealer told me it would be 4-6 weeks, but it was there in two weeks and 2 days, so that worked out great.
    I may post later as to the fit/installation. Mostly to help anyone viewing this thread in the future.

jnc likes this.