New Coleman Sea Pine owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LucythePUP, Nov 27, 2018.

1. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Hello I'm Ben and I just purchased my first camper, a 1997 Coleman by Fleetwood Sea Pine (aka Lucy) yesterday, graduating from tent camping. We're a family of five in Maryland and I grew up camping with my family in a pop up camper and loved it.

When I first started looking at pop up campers I knew it would need to have AC for the wife and kids (ages 2, 8 and 11), and I also wanted a slide out and a front storage compartment. Other than that it needed to be in good condition, ready to go camping.

Eventually I decided against the slide out and storage compartment since we'll be towing with a Honda Odyssey minivan and didn't want the extra weight. I figure this is our first "starter" camper and we can always upgrade later. When I found the Sea Pine for sale I started looking into it and liked that the base vehicle weight is 1,545 which I think is a reasonable starting point before gear, etc.

I'm sure most of my posts on here will be related to questions and concerns about towing with a minivan and asking what others have done.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota! Congratulations on the graduation!!

I also ruled out a slide out when I was looking, not because of a weight issue, but instead, the loss of storage space in the pup when the slide out is in the travel mode.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    LucythePUP likes this.
  3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    Welcome to the portal from Central NY. Happy camping.

LucythePUP likes this.
  4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Welcome to PopUpPortal.

LucythePUP likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl Panhandle and congrats on the NTU PUP. Take the time to get to know everything about the unit especially the set up and take down. I bet the kids are excited and ready to start camping. Good luck and Happy Camping

LucythePUP likes this.
  6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

LucythePUP likes this.
  7. FARfetched

FARfetched New Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Welcome from Georgia!

Sounds like you found something similar to what I need in a popup, weight-wise. Our tow vehicle-to-be is limited to 2000 lbs tow weight. 1600 dry would let us keep it loaded. I loved the first pup I looked at ('98 Coleman Bayside), but it weighs 2600 lbs dry.

About minivans: we've had four, and the primary failure point (3 out of 4) were the transmissions. Personally, I think they put sedan drivetrains in a heavier vehicle, but I'm spitballing. Anyway, some minivans have built-in transmission coolers, integrated with the radiator… and if you get a crack in the right place, you can end up with a tranny full of radiator fluid (ask me how I know). See if you can get one separate from the radiator… and especially get one if it's not there already. It's cheap insurance—$40-$50 plus installation, and they aren't that hard to install.

I'd love to get a full-size conversion van for a TV, but the wife has nixed the idea.

LucythePUP likes this.
  8. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

LucythePUP likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

LucythePUP likes this.
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

LucythePUP likes this.
  11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

LucythePUP likes this.
  12. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma.

LucythePUP likes this.
  13. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Oct 10, 2018
    S Ontario
    Years ago we towed our 2000 Santa Fe (~ 2500 lbs fully loaded & ready to camp) with a Caravan and predictably it's transmission did fail. To be fair, it did by that time have 160,000 km (~100,000 miles) on it but shouldn't have failed so prematurely. My current 1/2 ton Silverado has 150,000 km, has no issues I'm aware of, and I expect will continue to tow at least twice this without any concerns. Minivans serve a purpose but IMO towing isn't one of them.

LucythePUP likes this.
  14. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    Welcome from Southern Kentucky.
    Towing with a minivan can be challenging. Just because you can make the numbers work doesn’t mean that the experience will be “pleasant”.

LucythePUP likes this.
  15. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Thanks for the warm welcome and the feedback about using a minivan as a TV. The pup is going in the garage in a few weeks until spring so I've got some time to weigh my towing options.

16. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Maryland
    For Colemans, the site below has been helpful. Choose a year and it will open the brochure with all of the model specs for that year including layout plans, base weight and much more info. So it would give you an idea of which lower weight models to target.

https://colemanpopupparts.com/pages/model_specs

17. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Welcome from your neighbor in northern Virginia and a fellow fleetwood owner. When I was growing up we towed a popup with a minivan and the only problem we had was stopping a camper without breaks and a bad squat. Back then campers didn't come with breaks especially ones considered lightweight. Thank goodness this has changed for the most part. The squat is common on minivans and many have put airbags on the van to help. You may also want to look into getting a transmission cooler.

LucythePUP likes this.
  18. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Maryland
    Thanks! A transmission cooler and a Timbren suspension enhancement system are on my shopping list before next spring.

19. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    The timbren system is great. You may want to go ahead and replace your shocks at the same time.

LucythePUP likes this.
  20. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    Welcome to the forum!

LucythePUP likes this.