New fabric ideas for my pup...

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Don's eagle pup, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    It's -12 degrees out and I'm lucky enough to have a heated garage big enough to be able to open the pup enough to work on the inside of it. That said, I've googled the crap out of re working the curtains, bunk curtains and the cushions. Keeping the cost down I came across really decent blackout curtains at Walmart. Bout $13 for two pannels at 72"x63" total. Seems like a good deal to me. The reason for the post is I figured.., why not just use the same pannels for the cushions. Different patterns and colors of course. The fabric is cheep and seems very durable for as much as it's used. Fishing for any thoughts you all may have... Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I think it should work out fine as long as the pannels are long and wide enough to secure around by the cushions. I was thinking of using a heavy duty shower curtain for mine, mainly because I wanted something cheap and a bit more water proof. With two dogs and a 13 yo I needed something that can clean easy. I also used the Walmart blackout curtains for popup curtains and they came out great. Still working on the valance before I jump to the cushions. Slow going as I'm needing mom's knowledge with sowing and her sowing machine. She had eye surgery not long ago so everything is on hold until her eyes heal. Good luck, can't wait to see the after pictures.

3. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    Thanks, I didn't think of the shower curtain thing... That's a great idea as well. I have a 12 y/o and two dogs too. The dinette will end up being the dogs bed I'm sure so same as you I'm looking for the durability factor. Thanks for the response...

4. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Active Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Muskoka, Ontario
    I used fabric shower curtains from Walmart for my old popup. They were great and inexpensive. Got the idea from PopUpPrincess.com.

ccptbo likes this.
  5. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I too am looking at blackout curtains from Walmart and Amazon.com. My question is, how bad do they wrinkle?

6. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    Oddly enough I just pick some up from Walmart this evening for the pup. The ones I bought seem like they won't wrinkle up too bad.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Are they the microfiber?

8. Don's eagle pup

Don's eagle pup Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sycamore IL
    Sorry for the late reply, had a last minute 6th grade math emergency.., anyway, sending the pics of what I bought. I didn't go with the room darkening panels just because I don't sleep in anyway. I'm up making coffee when the sun rises. I'm lucky enough to have a great seamstress on my fabrication team at work so she'll do what needs to be done to take them up for me. These are a light grey and the bunkends will be something lighter. Still using the blackout panels for the cushions, just haven't found the pattern I like yet, cheers... These were only $5 a panel... IMG_20180122_073541158.jpg IMG_20180122_073547580.jpg

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I think the answer is (sorry), it depends. I made curtains for our pup from quilting and shirting fabrics, with black out lining. The did sort of crumple when the pup was folded, but the wrinkles pretty much fell out when the pup was opened. The quilting fabric was 100% cotton, the shirting, used for the privacy curtain on one bunk, may have been a blend. They didn't look perfectly pressed but weren't hanging funny either. We did pull them across the beds when the roof was partway down, more for bulk reduction as wrinkle prevention.
    The window curtains in the TT don't get folded, but we've bought a couple of the panels from Target and Walmart to use in the TT. One is kept folded, except when it's in use over the door. Both of the ones we've had for the still have the original folds, since those are used each time we fold them up, but have hung straight. The first was in use a couple of seasons, and replaced a couple of months ago, when there was a mishap with the glass microwave turntable - the curtain and other soft things are stored in the microwave.
    The other set are microfiber, room darkening ones from Walmart. Those have stayed in place, we added a rod to divide the room when we want to do so. With those, the fold lines have mostly disappeared. They are tied off to one side except in use, and those crumple lines fall right out.
    The window curtains in the TT are quilting cotton, lined with a poly/cotton apparel lining. They are tied back when open, though not as tightly as the divider panel. They hang okay when closed. I did end up adding snaps at the center becasue they tended to gap, but that was also true of the weird outdoor fabric of the originals.

10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    The fabric on those look really nice and the price is right for sure. Now that you've settled on the grey, it will probably be easier to narrow down the fabric for the cushions.
    I wasn't looking for blackout curtains to sleep in. I was looking for privacy and insulation. One night I got the lights on inside of the camper and went outside to see how much you could see looking in - I could see everything. If I'm at my sister's house at night it drives me nuts that the blinds are open and anybody driving or walking by can see in.
    Years ago I had bought a leaded glass door for the front of my house and when I saw you could actually see it, I never had it installed. Years later I used it when I got a shed/workshop built. Lol, I love my shed.

I know any fabric is going to have some wrinkles, but I don't want something that makes the wrinkles the focal point or you have to use a steamer to get out. It would be nice if you could just run your hand down the curtain and the wrinkles fall out!
    When you say you " added a rod to divide the room," you mean down the middle of the camper?

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I am looking at replacing my curtains this year. Thinking about blackout panels as well, but I already have reflectix that goes in the bunk end, dinette and kitchen windows so it is pretty dark to begin with. If I added blackouts that would turn the interior into a cave.

Mines does have a pouch sewn into the bottom of all the curtains, and has a heavy strip of curved plastic in it which helps pull the curtains down, and minimize any wrinkling. Seems to work well - when I do make new curtains I plan to reuse the plastic strips.

12. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Is the reflectix something that can be added to the windows? Or is it sewn in the windows with the canvas?
    I had completely forgotten until you said about having a weight sewn in, that you can use washers or bolts in the hem. Lol, my luck, it would pull the curtains off the wall.

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I just cut my reflectix to fit the individual windows. Once I get set up I unzipper the interior window and slide the reflectix in between the mesh and the window. I only have it in the bunk ends, the main window on the dinette and the window in front of the galley. The big picture window by the door remains open as it is usually shaded by the awning. If I ever get around to adding a back side awning to mine then I will probably stop using the galley reflectix.

14. mrkrag

mrkrag Active Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Palm Harbor, FL
    I did same as Sneezer mentioned above. In the cold I put them in all the windows to trap a TINY bit of heat a TINY bit longer. Got a big roll to cut them out and have enough to make some gizmos for the tops next. Summer heat will be here soon...

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was thinking it was the window tint, but it's insulation. That would probably work on the bunkends too.
    I use bubblewrap to wrap my pipes with and it can be used for insulation too.

16. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The Reflectix He mentioned is bubble wrap with a reflective surface it has a better R value than plain bubble wrap.

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I was thinking about light being able to go through the regular bubble wrap. I've used it on my French doors. I like that it has a sticky side that will stick to the glass, that it was free makes it better.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @Mamie-
    We added a tension rod crosswise in the TT, so that one of us could be at the table with the light on and not disturb the other as much. My husband gets up before dawn to begin many hikes. I still wake up, but the light isn't as annoying as it had been in the pup, and before we had the curtain in the TT. We put the tension rod at about the only spot that had solid wood at ether end. (I don't seem to have a photo of this set-up.)
    For the curtains in the pup, the blackout fabric for lining was for extra insulation. We bought a blackout curtain for the door in the TT, since the pebbled glass window had none. We seem to often have a site with a huge streetlight just outside on overnight stops at KOAs, or have the door oriented to catch headlights in other campgrounds. It also works to provide shade when the door is open but the strong sun we have is pouring in. Others have added a curtain just over the window, but this one works for us. There were a few times in the pups that having a curtain over the door would have been handy, but we never figured out way to hang a rod in either.

Attached Files:

19. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Light will keep me awake or wake me up faster than noise because I have to have noise to drown out a high pitch ringing in my ears.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to insulate a tent, so the curtains will have to serve that purpose too. I don't know what I will find when I remove the sidewalls, but I'm sure insulation won't be one of them.

Also, I don't have an a/c. If I can find one cheap and can get it installed, I might get one. But first I've got to see if I can even manage to do all this on my own - pulling and setting up the camper.