New Flagstaff

Discussion in 'Camper Manufacturers & Manuals' started by Tennessee Tom, Nov 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    I bought a new Flagstaff 228 Mac in July of this year.I am 63 years old and this was my first new RV. I have had nothing but problems with this camper. No financial hit because dealer has made everything good.

My old 1999 Coleman Taos was built much better.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the Forrest River family of RVs specifically the pop ups.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I have a 2012 Flagstaff 228BH and:
    Third camping trip the winch motor gear shattered causing the roof to collapse. It was while I was lowering it so no one inside, and no braces on the two corners. Had to pay for repair, but FR did reimburse me in less than a week. I also had numerous problems with the power winch over the years, and two years ago, just pulled it off, dumped it and installed a manual winch and ended that problem for good.

After two years, water pump failed.

After three years, propane regulator/switchover valve failed.

And during the time since purchase, numerous small screws have come out and replacement was not just a simple re-install. Water hoses leaked in areas where they were routed and rubbed against something, so had to replace; not a big deal.

Plastic windows have rips in area where they are attached to the zipper, but a good strong transparent tape has solved the problem and made them still usable.

Roof started to delaminate in the front; cannot get a dealer to force the issue with FR, including the selling dealer in Denver who has admitted in writing it is delaminated. So terrible dealer! So I have applied dicor to the delaminated areas and although it looks bad, it is still water tight.

I have also replaced the springs/shackles but I do not blame that on the mfgr as much as where I have taken the trailer when off-roading.
    Overall, it has had problems, but considering where I have taken it, and how often I have used it, I really cannot complain; too much.

3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Just curious do you exchange tanks or re-fill? And if you exchange what company did you use? I find that when I exchange tanks if I use a certain company too much my regulators tend to gum up.

4. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Fill only, I will not use exchange tanks; I don't know the history of the tank. Tanks last about 12 years before requiring replacement or recert, and really are not that expensive (my opinion). And have only filled up at two locations the entire time. Farm and Feed and RV on Hwy 191 in Moab (when I lived in Moab), and in the past few years, C.A.L. ranch in Pocatello (convenient to Wally World, Lowes, Home Depot so I'm always headed into that area of Pocatello:D, so I just throw the tanks into the truck's bed).

I'm assuming that the valve diaphragm probably failed due to the intense heat the trailer was subjected to when I lived in Moab. Considering it was parked outside, usually facing SW; but that is only my theory. But have read a few articles that heat is one of the killers of those valves. But easily could have just been a mfgr failure. Lucky they are not that expensive or time consuming to replace.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have the M-208 (2014). Other than a few do-it-yourself repairs, I haven't had any major issues (knock on wood).

Some of my repairs:
    Replaced the lift motor switch
    Repaired the drawer shelf hangars (http://www.popupportal.com/threads/my-latest-re-repair-caution-includes-f-bombs.114131/)
    Re-secured the cabinet cover between the fridge and the Furnace.

I also did some maintenance that the previous owner had seemed to neglect which includes greasing and oiling the Goshen system and repack the bearings.

I am also watching the the power winch very carefully. It does seem to have some lifting issues (stalling and strain). I have already decided that I will swap it out for a manual winch if anything major happens to it. The power winch in nice, but I don't trust it (too many moving parts).

I guess I don't expect any camper that I would purchase (new or used) to come hassle free. It just unfortunately seems to be the nature of the beast.

6. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee

7. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    Thanks for your response. Quite a coincidence, my winch went out on third trip just after my post. Turned out to be defective battery and not winch. However when I tried to use manual override nothing worked. The salesperson told me when I bought pup that the tool for raising stabilizer jacks with 3/4 tool could be inserted where plug is and use to raise and lower roof. I had no luck at all. Also used drill rated for 450 torque and nothing happened. It seems to be freewheeling. Got pup home and put charge on and wench worked. But I was wondering how did you get roof up when your wench went out.
    Thanks

8. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    You have the newer Carefree winch that came out after my 2012. Hopefully someone will step in and help. I had to use the manual cranks and it worked okay, but even with a power drill it was slow to raise and slow to lower.

9. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    Thanks, Taking it in for winterizing on Monday. Will ask them.

Thanks again.

10. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    You get freezing weather in southern TN?:D (Only kidding, lived in Williamson County for almost exactly seven years.):cool:

11. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    28 degrees one recent day. Saturday maybee. I am less than a mile near Al state line. RV serviced in Huntsville. Nashville would next closest, and that would be an extra hour or so.
    Much colder than where I grew up near Fort Benning on Al. side.

12. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    The manual for the later model winches are here on the forum this location.
    In there is the info on how to use it manually.

13. jems

jems New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    We just bought a 2018 Viking in September already had to take it back to dealer twice. 1st trip only the GFI plug worked come to find out the other plugs that wire into it was never hooded up. 2nd trip Hot water heater would not work gas line had a crimp in it cutting off gas. I know these are made by coachman but still owned by forest river. Also trying to find a dealer that's not 2 months behind on forest river warranty work in East Tennessee is a miracle.

14. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Actually got stranded in Columbia TN back in, around 2004-2005, they had a record snowfall; and I drove over to the lady's house in my Vette. Had to spend a couple days there since TN is not noted for clearing snow. Dumb thing was, I also had wrangler sitting at home. :eek:
    But I really liked my seven years in TN. If they had some real mountains and high forested campgrounds, I might have retired there vs. Idaho.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I don't know anything about winches, but if your's worked after chagrining it, can you use a generator? Harbor Freight has a small generator that I'm going to get if I can get my camper on the road. You can use it to charge your battery. It holds a gallon of gas and will last about 5 hours though I read some reviews that it lasted longer than that. I know a larger one would last longer, but it's a lot easier to fill a couple gas cans than move a big generator around.

16. Tennessee Tom

Tennessee Tom Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Lincoln County Tennessee
    Thanks, I do have a Yamaha Generator. It turned out there was nothing wrong with winch. My shore line receptacle hot line had come loose so the converter could not keep battery charged. Put a all night charge on battery and reconnected wires to receptacle and everything was fine. I was wondering as a back up carrying my heavy 1/2inch drill in case winch goes out. It has a torque rating of 450 lbs. Do you think that is enough torque to raise the camper roof , if winch goes out?

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Is your drill battery or electric? I don't know anything about torque, but Harbor Freight has the cordless drill and light on sale today for $19.99. I have one, but got another for the camper along with another battery so I won't have to switch between the two and the light is very good. But just in case that won't work, I checked Walmart and they have a Hyper Tough DL1137 6.0-Amp 1/2-Inch Corded Hammer Drill List $24. on sale for $18.73 PLUS a 2 year care plan for $2.00. I'm not getting that yet, but I like to know that it is there if I need it.

18. TNW

TNW Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Vermont
    Well, it seems the Flagstaff camper comes with issues. I still have a 1991 Jayco we bought new back then, have had no problems with any system in the camper in 26 years of use. I lube the lift system every other year or so, store it in an unheated barn over the winter, and winterize it by blowing the water lines out with compressed air. It is pretty basic, no fridge or built in heater, no power lift, no slide-outs. I have replaced the entire canvas and several years back I bought and installed a new torsion bar axle because when stored outside in winter the weight of the snow load took a lot of the spring out of the suspension so that was my fault.
    I have looked at new campers over the years and been unimpressed. Except for a few brands known for their rugged construction such as the Somerset line, they struck me as cheap cheap cheap. I preferred to stay with the old Jayco.
    I did find a used Aliner last summer, bought that and like it very much. It's rugged enough and sets up in seconds, has all the amenities I need and tows easily behind a Ford Escape. My son and his family want the Jayco so it'll get a new life with them, in all likelihood.

Mamie likes this.
  19. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Thanks for the info. I didn't know you could replace those. I checked and there's some on ebay that aren't very expensive, so that's something I'll keep in mind. IF I haven't already damaged the frame by using the leveling/stabilizer jacks on it. I had new jacks that I had bought to level a building and put those underneath the crappy ones. I have since bought a tri-leveler where the wheel rolls forward or backwards to level it. Haven't even gotten them yet, but I'm trying to get everything before I start anything because I hate to have to stop what I'm doing because sometimes things don't get finished.