New from Texas

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by A3M0N, Nov 14, 2018.

1. A3M0N

A3M0N New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Alvin, TX
    We're a family of four just starting our search for a pop up. I grew up tent camping most of my life, we've also gone tent camping as a family a few times. My wife suggested we look into a pop up, she thinks it'll get us out of the house far more than the tent will. I agree.

We live in Alvin, TX. It's about 20 minutes south of Houston and about an hour west of Galveston. I'm a youth and family minister full time and a USAF Reservist. My wife is the secretary at our church.

We'll be using our 2011 Chevrolet Traverse to pull the camper most times, but I may use my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee if its just me and one of the kids going out on a trip.

We're looking to spend around $1000 on a camper, and we're not afraid to use some elbow grease. Storage is my biggest concern right now. I'd rather not have to redo our backyard gate, and take up most of my side yard. But I also don't want to pay for storage. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Thanks!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    Welcome to PopUpPortal. Good luck in your search.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

6. A3M0N

A3M0N New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Alvin, TX
    Thanks everyone!

@WrkrBee - I'm Charleston (area) born and raised.

7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Seems like native South Carolinians are a rare breed. Enjoy your status.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle. During the search take your time to make sure the unit is as advertised and will fill your needs,especially make sure of a clear title.
    I was stationed in Chasn for a lot of my naval career and it has some great places for scenery and to camp and fish
    Good Luck in the search.

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

11. A3M0N

A3M0N New Member

Nov 14, 2018
    Alvin, TX
    @nineoaks2004 - I was stationed at Eglin AFB for several years. I wish I spent more time outside when I lived in Charleston!

12. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    It will not take long to play catch up on the places to go and things to do :) you have from the Ocean to the mountains as your playground

When I was in the Texas Navy I lived in Hitchcock TX. just outside of Galveston.
    I loved being stationed in Texas, I had bike and the roads in Texas were miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles, I could lay back on the sissy bar and enjoy the scenery. While stationed in Galveston we went thru the shipyard at Marriro La. for a couple of years had a great time in the Bayous (them folks know how to cook) and I had a great time.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  14. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma

15. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Tennessee
    Welcome from Chattanooga by way of St. Louis.
    Hope you find the perfect popup for you all.

16. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    It’s a fun journey and one we chose too as long term tent campers. Be careful in that price range on hidden issues and specifically, water intrusion. This is a latent or hidden defect that’s usually found in roof systems. Bad canvas bunk ends can be replaced for about 1k. Our camper didn’t have water leakage issues but needed lots of other things like battery, tires, wheel bearings repacked, propane regulator and pigtail, lift cable and other things like water pressure regulator and voltage spike protection. It will nickel and dime you in the begining getting one setup for camping. Ours is ready now and tonight will be our first night out at a local Jellystone Park about 40 miles from home. For Thanksgiving we’re towing to Austin for our hotel in my son’s driveway. Good luck on your journey Pastor.

17. FARfetched

FARfetched New Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Georgia
    Howdy from Georgia! We're fairly similar—family of four (second set of kids, though, grandson & foster), also looking for a popup. I took the grandson tent camping (in a Miata!) a couple of times last year; he had a blast, but I learned sleeping on a pad is fine when you're in your 30s, not so much in your 50s. :p Wife is onboard with a popup, which helps.

This is just my opinion, based on my own (brief) search experience… for $1000, you're going to have a very basic setup. Nothing wrong with a basic popup, of course, unless somebody in your family wants creature comforts like A/C. Then again, if you're heading to the mountains during the summer, you could get along without it. Fewer accessories means it'll be easier to fix up and maintain, too.

Best of luck! I'm looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.