New here

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cltomp, Jun 12, 2018 at 7:38 AM.

1. Cltomp

Cltomp New Member

Hi I’m new here! I found this site through pop up princess. I currently camp in an 8 person tent from REI. I always camped as a child, then as a single female I was too afraid to camp initially. However, my family started camping again so I took the plunge and bought a tent to take me and my dog camping. We have been on many adventures the last three years and looked into buying a E-pro 12 foot tear drop last year. I am kind of glad I didn't because on my many adventures I met my boyfriend, who was the park ranger at the campground I used to frequent and who has now moved in with his dog, and a teardrop would have been too small for 2 medium sized dogs and two larger adults.

My boyfriend and I have been talking about a camper for most of the year, after we took a week long trip to Fort Wilderness this year. We went without the dogs and while it was a lot of work to set up all the tents (3 total) we had a great trip and stayed dry. His dog has never been camping and its giving me a lot of anxiety as his dog is a chewer and I have invested a lot of time and money into my gear. So sadly we haven't taken many trips since February.

Initially my boyfriend wanted to find a used Class C which needed a moderate interior facelift but had good mechanics and bone structure. He thought it would be easier with the dogs and traveling longer distances (I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis earlier this year so I have to stop and walk frequently) However, we have a budget of about 3,000 cash and a garage which can only house a camper about 8 feet wide by 19 feet long (still checking on height) As we do not want to pay additional fees to store a camper ( upwards of 1,500 a year as my boyfriend has two vehicles so we have no additional parking now)

I think I have finally talked him into considering pop ups because we can easily store them. I joined because I am not sure what are some good layouts to be on the look out for and what we should avoid at all costs. I will be jumping over to the pre-purchase question area to list some of our requirements and hopefully some of you can help us by shouting out some layouts you know of which may fit our needs!

Thanks everyone! I am hopeful that maybe by the end of the year we can fall into the perfect pop up for us and then you can all follow as we remodel it!

KamperKel likes this.
  2. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Welcome from Texas, and good luck on your future purchase.

4. KamperKel

KamperKel Member

Nov 5, 2017
    South Carolina
    Welcome from SC!!

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Active Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Welcome!

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    first and foremost, welcome from western PA. I hope you find the perfect popup your looking for, but DO keep in mind what your tow vechicle is capable of. even popups can be heavy, especially larger ones with slides or highwall versions. I had a used coleman Utah, 12 foot box with a dinette slide, loved the room in it but it was heavy, well into the 3000 pound range. plus you need to add all your cargo weight, and passenger weight in your tow vechile as well.

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome aboard from N/W Fl. Panhandle. The main thing to look for is actually a question. "Will the pup do exactly what we want ?" Buying a pre-owned is a good choice, but check it over really well. Do not get in a rush, take your time looking to make sure it fits your wants and needs. Also make sure your TV will carry it. When you do find one have the seller show you everything works as it should and that it has a clear title. Once you get one you will love it, sleeping above ground is a lot more comfy, especially in inclement weather. Good Luck in the search and happy Camping

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  10. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! Good luck on your search for the pup!

11. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg from the Connecticut shoreline.

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

13. Cltomp

Cltomp New Member

I think we found “the one” we went to go look at one tonight and my boyfriend said we will make it fit in the garage (though we measured it should). It is a 2008 Fleetwood Highlander Niagara. It is coming with a portable a/c unit. Otherwise everything looked to be in good condition. Garage kept. Canvas had maybe 2 pin holes and some wear on the edges. Knobs missing off radio and caps missing off table legs. The inside had some mildew on the canvas next to the bathroom and the ceiling was wavy on the inside it looked like condensation damaged from the shower and the owners confirmed that. It literally had everything on our wishlist so we put a deposit down to hold it after we negotiated a price of 5500 (so more then our original budget but hey I sold the boyfriend on it and he liked he didn’t have to do immediate repairs just normal maintenance and care)

14. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Congrats and welcome to the Portal from the Toronto, ontario area..