New Massachusetts Rally Location for 2019?

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by JimmyM, May 14, 2018.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    With Rallies in the surrounding states, a Rally in MA is conspicuous in its absence. There used to be a rally at Wompatuck just south of Boston. Map Link Here
    It's pretty close to where I live, but to plan a new Rally I'd like to move it westward a bit. Maybe in the general Worcester area. West of Boston, sort of Worcester/Springfield region.
    But I can't plan a rally to a campground I've never been to.
    So I'm looking for input from you folks for different campgrounds I can use to narrow the list down for places I can visit to check out.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    I've never been to Wompatuck.

I had a trip planned last year to Lake Dennison Campground, but had to cancel due to my camper breaking the Tongue Jack.

Campgrounds I've been to have clustered around the coast or the cape. (Horseneck, Sailsbury)

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Why camp in MA when NH is so close?

jnc and Ductape like this.
  4. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Connecticut
    There may also be a NH rally in 2019...

5. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Connecticut
    Kevin (kmh1596) might have a recommendation re: central MA campgrounds since he lives there. Hopefully he'll see your rally thread and chime in at some point.

6. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2013

I would totally agree with this, but as I've said in the past, there doesn't seem to be interest in camping in NH for whatever reason. Daveylee claims there was one successful rally in NH maybe 8 - 10 years ago?

Jimmy.... what month are you looking to do this ?

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I'm in for Salisbury Beach. We would also be up for a NH Rally. @Ductape did have a some interest when he tried to put one together for 2016. I think the holed up was trying to find the best date to have it.

8. mpking

mpking Active Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Raynham, MA
    Assuming Salisbury (for example, lots of parks have group spots), how would we do this logistically. Salisbury is high demand. Would we do the pavilion? Just get any spot individually?

9. JunkyBurrittos

JunkyBurrittos Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Hi Jimmy, I was just thinking the same thing about our conspicuous absence, although I was thinking that maybe the Cape was a logical destination we were omitting. At any rate, I can weigh in to a limited degree on your question on Central MA.

It seems like the most popular and arguably nicer parks in the area are Wells State Park in Sturbridge and Pine Acres in Oakham. Both are really popular but might be a possibility if we aimed for off-season and we tried to encourage everyone to book early.

Wells is nice and pretty, right on a lake, and affordable, but no hook-ups. Sites are a bit spread out and we might not all be able to get in the same area unless we head up far from the lake in the forest and I think some of those sites are a bit wonky for backing in. There is a phenomenal big site that would be great for get-togethers right on the Lake, it is on a cul-de-sac with two other sites and there are a couple other sites not that far away, so that could easily be Party Central. Still it seems that successful rallies have a choice of hook ups vs dry camping and that would not be an option here.

In full disclosure I have never been to Pine Acres but it seems to have a really great reputation in the area. I think it’s pretty much all hook-ups, 30-50 amp, and a fair number of amenities but tucked in the woods and wildernessy. For dates in May 2018 it looks like sites run $65-90 a night so definitely more than some of the other rallies. Again super popular, so this would only be an off-season option, and even then I would really ask some questions to see how quickly they book up.

There are other campgrounds in the Sutton area that are more affordable but maybe not as nice as the others and are small. I think we’re also getting mighty close geographically to Stephie’s CT rally in that area and I think you might want to offer a varied experience in the MA rally. Sutton Falls has a nice pavilion we could probably use and they are super nice there, but they have lots of seasonals that seem to have been parked there for decades lol and I’m not sure they would have enough non-seasonal sites to accommodate a rally. Although several sites share a decent-size lawn in common so that could be another gathering space. The sense I get is the other couple of campgrounds in that area are largely seasonal as well, but I haven’t stayed at the others.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  10. JunkyBurrittos

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    I understand someone had a rally there years ago and they just focused on booking the least desirable area ie back row and furthest from the river as those are the sites that go last and gives a slightly better chance of people being in the same vicinity. Plus they said people seemed more respectful and less drunk and disorderly than in the more “favorable” spots. I still think this might be a tough place to host a rally just with the sheer volume of people and the lack of privacy.

11. JunkyBurrittos

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    I’ve heard nice things about Lake Dennison as well, but same as Wells this would only be dry camping, no hookups.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Wow, Donna! Thanks for the feedback. I was looking at Wells, but saw it would be all boondocking. And saw Pine Acres as well. Private camp ground, right?
    We camped at Sutton Falls last year. Cute place. But yeah. Tons of seasonals. We stayed in the area just to the left over the bridge. That area wouldn't be bad for a rally if we can book the sites and not get all spread out. I'll look at the other sites you mentioned.

13. JunkyBurrittos

Mar 18, 2017
    Central MA
    Hi Jimmy, no problem! :) Small world that we both camped at Sutton Falls last year. I hate giving them a mediocre review here because they were so so nice. We were “Pond-front” down past you and to the right. There was a big patch of lawn and restrooms and three sites all in that area as well a broken down toddler cube right by my site. I think that was the playground. :D

I think Old Holbrook right down the street is on the actual lake but I think this might be more of a pack-em-in RV place. Also I tried to reserve off season and I recall not being able to reach anyone ever. But I really don’t have first hand experience here.

14. BigTap

BigTap Active Member

Feb 22, 2018
    Worcester Area, MA
    If you do central MA sturbridge area there are some amazing breweries people can visit as selling points. Tree house and rapscallion are right in the area. Ill look more tonight to give some input. Im just outsie Worcester

15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Winter Island campground Salem MA. An old coast guard base, next to Salem Willows.

16. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Mar 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    We've attended two rallies at Salisbury Beach,the first one we had sites further back but on the river side, attendance was decent but it was chilly and we had some rain. The second rally we were about the same distance back but away from the river, but fewer people attended. It depend on when you start booking where you can get several sites near each other. No body ever focused on "the less desirable area" to my knowledge. All in all I like Salisbury, years back I camped there several weeks a year.

We also attended three rallies in NH over the years, October at Gunstock. And despite the rally organizer walking away from the rally prior to it happening others stepped up and made it highly successful. We've also attended rallies at Tamworth Camping area and Mi-te-jo Campground. At that time they didn't have the mindset that you need X number of people for it to be considered a rally. I think that came into play when Popup Portal started providing $$ for prizes, etc., I practice I think they no longer provide. So in my opinion although only three members may have attended the Tamworth rally I think it was successful. I mean we still had a potluck, everybody went together on a small local train ride, and I think we even all went to dinner together, we had a nice time, it's camping and I don't think I've never not had a good time camping.

We attended both fall rallies at Winter Island, one on Columbus Day Weekend, and one on Halloween Weekend, even got a little snow. Winter Island was great, spending time in Salem in October is great, I'd go back to Winter Island for certain. The thing there is you need to keep a constant watch on when they decide to open up reservations, then all act quickly to book sites.

We're always open to both a Ma and a NH rally.

17. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

May 4, 2009
    Maine
    NH had a couple of successful rallies the furthest south went was at Gunstock during Columbus Day weekend, you just can't beat trying to go to sleep of the sounds of the hayride through the haunted forest with the chainsaws and screaming and animal sounds . Deb and I are trying to work out a NH Rally in Southern NH near Dover in lieu of the Maine Rally for 2019.

I would be good for a Central MA Rally, the only places I went in MA was Wompatuck and Peters Pond, while the wagonmaster got a decent rate at Peters Pond and there is plenty to do in the area it was 95% seasonals and Ncikerson is fine as long as it is in the shoulder season and not hot, but I think that CG fills up fast for reservations if I remember correct.

Strawhouse likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have to look into those campgrounds. I like cooler weather for camping. Especially if it's boondocking.
    Davylee, I'm definitely in for a NH rally! We just got back from 4 nights at Lost River Campground up in Woodstock, NH. We love that place.

19. HeatherMae

HeatherMae New Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Hey all. Newbie here. I was looking for MA rally info. To the question of Pine Acres, it's pretty great. Granted, it's busy, but it doesn't really feel that way once you're at you're site. Was just there this past weekend. The people there are very accommodating. Attaching some pics.

Attached Files:

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    Thanks for the feedback and the great pictures!
    Di you notice any areas that might make a good group area? Maybe a road trip there in the next couple of weeks may be in order to check things out. Ask about a group rate maybe, etc.