New mods to for bikes and spare tire.

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Lagman, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Lagman

Lagman New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Bucks County, PA
    Just finished a project to carry the bikes! I cut off the stock bumper ( flimsy and thin) and welded some 1/8" 2 × 3 rectangular tube thru the rear stringer to the main frame, then used 1/8" 2x4 rec tube for the bumper itself. Then i welded a prefab receiver on the bumper. Its not too heavy, about 45 lbs. Then, I moved the spare to underneath front by mounting to it with a spare tire wind up mechanism from a Chevy S-10 right on the main frame. Really worked out well. Plenty of room and I think it offsets the added weight in the rear. I do want to let you know that I did beef up the suspension by switching out the 2200# axle for a 3500# and got 1500# springs to go with it so it wouldn't bounce a lot.
    The hitch should hold a good amount as long as the PU is packed correctly. I'll post some pics next week when i get time. Any questions?
    Next project is a Porto pottie for night time nature calls.

Attached Files:

RollTideRick likes this.
  2. soft 17

soft 17 Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Great idea! I have a few of those tire crank up things at my shop.

3. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Nice job! Like it. Use dead space for storage. My Avalon came with the spare mounted under the A frame. Very simple, a hinge, length of channel, all thread with a T (for tightening the tire to the channel), a bolt and a piece of angle. The hinged channel is secured to the inter frame by the bolt, angle and a lug nut. The cable lift from the S-10 is a great repurpose mod.

4. Lagman

Lagman New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Bucks County, PA
    Here's a shot of the new bumper.

Attached Files:

5. RollTideRick

RollTideRick Member

May 31, 2017
    Awesome, I have been thinking about relocating my spare also. Good looking job.