new pop up owner

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by John Blair, Jul 13, 2018.

1. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    hey all new to the pop up world just pick up a 1996 Coleman key west it looks good on the inside but need some work on the outside. I will start with the storage box. I hope if I need help on some of the repairs you all can give me some advice on repairing what I have to work on. as I do some of the repair I hope to post pictures.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Good luck and welcome.

3. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA! You are sure to get plenty of advice on this forum. It's a great community. Pictures of your rig as it stands would be great.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

5. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    thanks all I will post so pics I have started working on it I have to redo the front storage box so I day I got it home me and the wife started to get it off.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome to the Portal from N/W Fl Panhandle. congrats on the NTU PUP. Good Luck and Happy Camping

7. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the exciting world of Pop-Up camping!

John Blair likes this.
  8. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    here are the pic GEDC2694.JPG

[PU] 1996 Coleman Key West
    [PUT] 2008 Ford Ranger 4X4

Attached Files:

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Look at the positive side, when you get thru, you will know what you have and that is was done correctly.. including any mods you make to "make it your own" .Good Luck and Happy Camping

11. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Sorry you had so much trouble with your front storage box. When I was looking to buy I really wanted one with a storage box too. Now that I've been on this forum for a few months now I can see this is the Achiles Heal of many PUP'S as I've seen allot of campers here with the same issue. I'm glad I didn't buy one. Not trying to denigrate these campers but certainly buyer beware of this potential problem with water intrusion into storage boxes. Build it better than new and use a good gasket on the lift door to seal out water. If I were doing I might consider 3/4" treated plywood for the re-build. I'm a self employed carpenter for the past 50 years and still at it. Good luck with your rebuild and if you have any questions about the re-construction let me know.

12. DJS12354

I agree with Dan on dodging a bullet by purchasing a camper without the front storage. I wish for more storage in the pup, but the lack of space cuts down on the amount of unnecessary "stuff" I can bring. It's a good thing for me because I am an "over-packer". I'll take way too much " I just might need that" stuff. :)

13. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    yes the storage box my be a pain but I needed a good place to store my fishing poles. so when I get done with it I will have a good box. my biggest problem I think is going to be the roof at this time it is not linking but I don't want to wait on that fix. and then I got to fix the bad work of others. as you can see from the pic someone welded up some tubing and then bolted to the roof with stove bolts that pulled through the roof and a lot of fiber glass patch work. Roy side when I am done I will have a good PUP that will last a long time. GEDC2697.JPG GEDC2699.JPG GEDC2700.JPG GEDC2701.JPG GEDC2702.JPG GEDC2703.JPG GEDC2704.JPG GEDC2705.JPG GEDC2706.JPG
    so if anyone has any good roof fix's or no of any good web site that will help me please let me know of them.

14. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome from South Carolina.

15. DJS12354

Appears that you need to start on the roof quickly. You've got some work ahead of you there.

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg welcome from the Connecticut shoreline.

17. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok so roof needs work. And a new seal around the pup. I'm new here but I will say my support goes in the same direction, so at least that's right. Is it an abs roof? Don't k ow if they were made that early? Still you need to use a support brace that way for the a.c. weight. I would put a backer bar to distribute the weight so it dosent pull through. That dosent help with the large cracks. If it's an abs roof many would remove the outer shell and paint it with bedliner. See if you can find out what the roof is. Otherwise I would glue it down with epoxy, put weights on it and cover with bedliner. New seal too. That's a start.

18. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    yes it is an ABS roof. it has a brace I front of the AC so I was going to add one to the back side and I was going to put a 2in wide piece of aluminum flat stock on as the backing. on the large cracks do you think I can just glue them back down and then use some ABS mixer I have been read about to seal the cracks then the bed liner. the roof is only about 10% separated over the entire roof.

19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I glued mine but it wasn't as bad. I would consider stripping it, then the bed liner. Tbh, I didn't have any delamination, I glued and patched , I almost wished I still stripped the top. As there are 2 spots I have to re due. I never got the abs stuff to a thick glue eaither, it just got to a thick helmets glue texture, so for me I wouldent be able to fix larger cracks.

20. John Blair

John Blair New Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Elk Creek, Mo
    the only delamination I have is at that one larger crack and one other small spot. I thought I could use liquid nail to glue it down, so how hard is it to pull off the top if it is not delaminated that much, dose it come off with not a lot of effort.