New Pop Up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Roger Brunette, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Roger Brunette

Roger Brunette New Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I have a one year old Rockwood Extreme Sport. It is time for maintenance. Different than anything I have Read here. There are no places in the corners to get to springs. Everything is in metal pipes. Yes, there are two zerks, one on top, one on the bottom. That’s it. Other than the posts and the winch I think that is all there is to do. Anything I am missing? Thanks to you all for any help.
    Roger

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have to remove the conduit brackets to lube my lift tubes. It is not difficult, but it is a pain getting oil into the tubes. I use an over-sized syringe to apply the oil in to the conduit.

TrailerConduitBolts_zpshmtz914g.jpg TrailerConduitBracket_zpssspmtp1e.jpg TrailerConduitLube_zpsrivmpu2n.jpg (These are stolen images.)

Make sure the roof is DOWN if this works for you.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg
    Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

4. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2011
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Welcome from Oklahoma

5. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

7. Roger Brunette

Sep 9, 2018
    Thanks for the reply. How much oil do you put in and is it 30 weight? Then are you using a spray on the lift tubes?

8. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I use any old oil I have laying around. I use a couple of loads of oil in the syringe on each corner. Probably equal to a couple of tablespoons full.

If you are referring to the lift supports, I spray them with WD40 dry lube, but any dry lube will work. Make sure you place a piece of cardboard behind the support to protect the canvas from overspray.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle, Good Luck and Happy Camping

10. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    By this, I do mean NEW oil, not used oil. And it is usually what I have left over in the container from when I change oil in the lawn mower, snow blower and boat. I usually have 1/2 quarts of oil left over after filling them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

12. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

13. Roger Brunette

Sep 9, 2018
    BikenFish,
    Thank you for all the help. Greatly appreciated.
    Going to start today with the zerks. I guess just pump until grease comes out the end.
    Roger

BikeNFish likes this.
  14. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Don't forget to grease the pulley.
    Grease Pully.JPG

15. Roger Brunette

Sep 9, 2018
    So, greased the pulley, then moved to the zerks. Neither would accept grease. Grease just backed up at the fitting. What’s up? The trailer is just a year old.

J Starsky likes this.
  16. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Sounds like the grease nipple is either stuck or clogged.

Most of your problem can be solved by sticking a needle into it. You may have to remove it first to get clear access to the ball. Zerks are threaded so you just have to find the correct wrench to take it off.

If the needle doesn't work, soak it in some carb cleaner. Lastly, just replace, but you shouldn't have to go this far unless they were defective from the start.

I have also heard of some people heating them up to melt the grease but I wouldn't do this unless you have removed them, have a fire extinguisher handy or have made sure your fire insurance was up to date. ;)

17. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    You might really really have to push to seat the gun onto your nipple. Grease take a path of least resistance, and that path is round the side instead of inside. Just a straight pin, seal removing pick or any object you can push the little ball with works. Once you move it, it will accept some grease. Honest, it could have been greased at the factory, then the nipple was tightened down - so the ball and spring have never had grease in them...

This guy uses heat: I'm a pick and push kinda guy!

18. Roger Brunette

Sep 9, 2018
    Thank you for the reply. I finally got it to work. Pain to get it off. I put 50 pumps of grease into each zerk. I can not see any grease coming out and the ends seem pretty well capped. Hopefully that is enough.
    Thanks everybody.
    Roger

BikeNFish likes this.
  19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Make sure you clean the Zerks before putting the grease gun on. Wipe, and flush ball top with WD40. If not, you just push grit into your system. Grease + grit = lapping compound. I've seen shops put their power grease guns on the fitting and pump away. Some guys change the Zerk fitting, before lubing a critical bearing. They make little caps for Zerk fittings, which I like.

20. BikeNFish

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    That’s plenty. Next couple of times you raise the roof, check under the pup. You will probably have some grease coming out of the ends where the cable pushed it out. You might want to wipe it off or it will drop off onto whatever is under it.