New popup from trailmanor

Discussion in 'Off The Wall Campers' started by mpking, Mar 4, 2019.

1. erich82

erich82 Member

Adding airbags does not increase your tow capacity, although some people tend to think it does...
    Ive seen people towing hybrids and tandem hybrids with minivans too, but it doesn't mean it is safe. "About 300lbs" dry tongue weight goes up very quickly when you start adding cargo (inside pup and inside rear trunk of the van).
    I wouldn't consider anything over 2000-2200lbs safe for any minivan to tow with.

tenttrailer likes this.
  2. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Your opinion

PointyCamper likes this.
  3. erich82

erich82 Member

What is my opinion? That you cannot safely tow over the limits of your vehicle? Guess I'm lucky that my opinion is shared with the majority, or else we'd have fleets of minivans towing 5000lbs campers.

4. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

erich82 stop it no fighting

5. erich82

erich82 Member

It really isn't fighting. It's more about trying to educate. If someone believes they can tow campers over their weight limits, they really need to learn more on the subject. Too many dealers try to push these campers and hybrids (don't get me started on this) on minivan owners, and they just can't handle it. You should be aiming for a camper with a gvwr of 2800lbs max with a minivan, not a 2800lbs dry weight camper with a 300lbs+ dry tongue weight.
    I share the road with these folks, and have seen first hand what kind of damage (to both property and injuries) this kind of irresponsibility can do.

6. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Some salespeople are not completely honest and not telling the truth that most vehicles cannot tow unless the vehicle meets the manufacturer's tow guidelines. These salespeople do NOT care about your safety but only care for the commission. always read auto manual which is the only truth or talk to auto dealer service advisor (not salesperson).

jmkay1 likes this.
  7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yep we were at about 3,300 and 350 tw at cat scale. Air bags use to adjust for weak rear springs. Front end lift with trailer 5/8 inch. mini van great TV except weak rear springs

8. erich82

erich82 Member

Except 350 TW at the scale means most would be over their TW capacity (on minivans). Everything behind the TV rear axle also counts as TW, which is the trunk in any minivan. So at 350lbs TW, you would need to have nothing in the trunk.

9. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Your Highlander would do wonderful in towing but you said mini-van?

10. tenttrailer

I towed for over 4 years with the sienna towing 25-30K miles, with no issues. When it hit 250K miles figured I would get a newer one. DW like the ride of the highlander. So its been our TV for a few years. The sienna was within specs and had room for more weight if I wanted a WDH. The 3.0 motor did fine with mountains until about 10% grade on the back roads. It did a great job as a TV, except the weak rear springs. The nice thing about this van was over 90% of all the weigh of the motor and transaxle was ahead of the front axle center, which made it very front heavy with almost no lift when the camper is attached. The times I measured the rise it was about 5/8 inch. I had more lift with my E-150 when I was towing with it.

11. aschumann

aschumann Get OUTSIDE!!

Very nice camper. i am very intrgued by them but we have the Avalon and i think that has spoiled us with the room inside and it still a pop up....

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

We've owned 3 fourth generation Chrysler product minivans and I do all the maintenance on all of them. We still own two of them. From tow package to non-tow package the only safety related part (brakes, suspension, and steering) that differs from one to the other is the rear shocks. So Chrysler can put crazy expensive shocks on a vehicle and magically increase the tow capacity, but no one else can?

13. highside pup

Thought this was about Trailmanors, not minivans suspensions, that said my set up works very well.

PointyCamper likes this.
  14. Steve in Denver

Steve in Denver Member

That’s not how I understand it. For example a 2018 Sienna LE has a max trailer weight of 3500 lbs, A combined weight rating of 8900, curb weight of 4505. 8900 - 3500 - 4505 = 895 lbs for cargo in the van.

You still have to stay under the GVWR (5990, which isn’t a factor in this scenario) and the axle weight limits (3100, which could be an issue on the rear axle with a heavy tongue weight), but just because you are towing a maximum weight trailer doesn’t mean you can’t have anything in the TV itself.

Rusty2192 and BillyMc like this.
  15. highside pup

TrailManor.......not tow rating........that horse has been ridden ....

16. tenttrailer

That is how I understand it.

1 the trailer should not be over a certine weight

2 tongue has a max weight.

3 tv has a max weight, which the tongue weight becomes part of the tv max weight.

Now if you are not going to a scale and just adding things up. After somewhere around 2012 toyota has built into the curb weight around 150 lbs for the driver. So don't add 150 lbs of the driver weight. But going to a scale is the best method.