New popup owner, essentials?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Braytoth, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Braytoth

Braytoth New Member

Hey all!

My brother in law recommended this site. My wife and I just purchased a popup camper - 2007 river forest Flagstaff. We are going camping in 2 weekends and are trying to come up with the list of essentials we need to camp with. So far we have cast iron pans, griddles, silverware, cups, etc... but I'm sure we are missing something. Any tips on what is very useful to get?

2. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Depends. Are you near somewhere you can buy anything you need?

I find that the one thing neighbors all seem to forget- and borrow from me - are can openers and corkscrews.

And don’t forget to pack a basic tool kit that has duct tape and wd40. Mine even has a riveter but my camper is a lot older and needs regular patching up

3. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

We keep a hatchet and fire starters in the camper. Also a fire pit grate. Ours has a post that we pound into the ground and the grate hangs on the post. I don't have a picture but found this one on the internet. Happy camping!

Attached Files:

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I suggest you both go out into your trailer and do a pretend fast forward of a day in it.
    You get up in the morning, what do you need: toiletries, wash rag, hand towel, baby wipes....
    You go to fix breakfast, what do you need: frying pan, ingredients, seasonings, stove top coffee maker ....
    You go to eat, what do you need: plate, utensils, napkin/paper towel....
    You go to clean up, what do you need: dish soap, dish rag, dish towel...
    You go outside to relax, what do you need: chairs, table...
    You go swimming, what do you need: swimsuit, towel...
    You go hiking, what do you need: water bottle...
    Continue through your desired day's activities (sightseeing, water sports, etc).
    You go to prepare dinner, what do you need.
    You go to relax by the fire, what do you need.
    You go to wash up for bed, what do you need.
    You make your bed, what do you ned (be sure to consider temps and comfort levels of each person).

Then add a first aid kit and a basic tool box, and a pen and paper.

Take your first trip and don't worry. It takes several trips to get your gear sorted out so just laugh when you realize you forgot your pillow, wrap some clothes in a towel and make do.

If you will be close to a store, you can buy what you need. If not, then you will have to do without on that first trip. This is where the pen and paper are needed. When you realize you forgot something that you needed/wanted, write it down so you won't forget. When you get back home, add it immediately (so you won't forget).

Jess n JJ Julian likes this.
  6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Don’t forget the essentials for setting up your pup. Water and electric components can be catered to site type.

-Chocks for front and back of both wheels
    -Leveling system (boards, Lynx blocks, BAL, Andersen, etc)
    -Drinking water safe hose
    -Water pressure regulator
    -Gray water tank (bucket, etc)
    -30A extension cord (May not be necessary, but is sometimes)

7. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

Cable ties.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia... Do a camp driveway first and write things down you need/are missing

9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I always tell folks just starting out to take the absolute bare minimum of what you think you'll need along with something to keep a list. If you find you need something you don't have, you can probably buy it nearby or add it to your list to pick up when you get home.

The last thing you need is a bunch of "stuff" you think you "need" only to find out you don't and it ends up taking up space in the basement or garage. Ask me how I know. ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Meandthree and Toedtoes like this.
  10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I agree with that. Also, while you might be inconvenienced, you won't die because you forgot something. Just relax and don't get too caught up in it.

A lot will depend on your personal style and want/needs. I don't take a power cord because there is no electric at the campgrounds I prefer. Someone else must have a surge protector with EMS because they only go to places with electrical hookups.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Essentials: corkscrew & cheese slicer! Jokes aside, trash bags and something to hold them.

12. tiredrusty

tiredrusty New Member

not sure why it posted this?? or how to delete it sorry

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  13. tiredrusty

tiredrusty New Member

foil and I like little backpaks to have bathroom shower supplies items in them. I have two ready to go at all times. they carry bathroom items, a little TP in case the bathroom is out, flip flops and towels along with clean underwear. I change clothes back at camp.

14. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

IMHO, the most important thing you need is a comfortable camp chair for everyone in the party. Sitting around the fire is so much better when everyone has their own spot to get comfortable in.

15. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Active Member

Agreed

When we do our big 3 week trip each year, I know we will be shopping so there has to be lots of empty space on our way there - it fills up. I also woodwork as a hobby.

One year, I built Adirondack chairs and just didn’t assemble them until camp. Three weeks in nice comfortable seats that I donated to the ranger station when we left. That was a blast.

Karen in Iowa and Meandthree like this.