New Propane Tanks 20#

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by PointyCamper, Oct 4, 2017.

1. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    DH wrote this up for us:
    I recently took a propane cylinder for refilling and was turned away. The store employee said any tank older than 12 years had to be recertified. Sure enough, my tank was stamped 07 - 2000 as the build date. I was looking at buying new tanks for 30 bucks each. No one in this area does the recertification.

Fortunately, there is Blue Rhino! I turned in four empty, outdated tanks and got four filled tanks for 68 dollars, tax included. The new tanks are recertified by Blue Rhino and have a sticker dated 09/17. These tanks have a standard fill valve and can be refilled anywhere.

I have read that SOME Blue Rhino tanks have a special fill valve that only that company can fill. I have not seen one of these, mine have the standard valve.

This is a way to get rid of your old, outdated tank, get a usable one, and save some money in the process.

YMMV I have not heard of Blue Rhino refusing any tank. The store employee was too busy texting to look at my old tank

Yes you are not getting 20 pounds but we think the service is a worthwhile tradeoff.

2. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

I did the same when our old 1997 Worthington 20 lb tank could not be filled since it was over 12 years old and still had the old valve style on it (In Canada they say 10 years, but in the USA it is 12). I took it to the grocery store and got a refilled tank and the guy let me "cherry pick" through the refilled tanks so I grabbed a 2014 date code stamped tank. I guess they re-certify the old tanks but in this case it looked really new to me and had the factory date code stamper on the collar. I did have to buy an adapter to use it with my regulator but now I'm up to date! Thanks for sharing the tip.
    LPG.JPG

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    To the best of my knowledge, Blue Rhino tanks are the exact same as any other tank, no special fill valve. I have taken BR tanks to other propane dealers and they have no problems filling them to the max capacity of any other tank.

Just take your old tanks to a 7/11 or anywhere BR is sold where you’ll find a pimply face kid doing the replacement. They don’t know jack about what tank is expired when and will simply exchanged it for a BR tank. Then you can take that tank elsewhere to get it refilled later.

4. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I do the same except I won't use blue Rhino fuel.( I believe BR gums up my regulators) Last time I exchanged my tanks the girl came out looked at my tank and saw it was old but didn't care...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    The Home Depot near me has the AmeriGas exchange station. No attendant. You just go inside, pay for however many "exchanges" you want and go to the system outside. Punch your keycode into a computer and the doors open up. You can't pick your own tank, but it's an easy way to get rid of old ones.

Bowman3d likes this.
  6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    i did the same thing over about 5 months as my tanks went empty. My lowe's store had exchange tanks that were brand spanking new. Dates were from 01/2017 to 6/2017 as I exchanged the tanks during the 5 months. I just had to hunt through the racks of exchange tanks to find the new tanks.

It sucked getting only 15 lbs of propane with the exchange, but I will refill with 20 lbs of propane as they go empty.

7. davido

davido Member

Jul 17, 2014
    I don't think BlueRhino cares much either. Their website says they will accept any non-obsolete tank in satisfactory condition. And in this case, non-obsolete means they will accept any tank that has the correct type of valve, not whether or not the tank is out of its 12-year period. Satisfactory means a tank that is capable of being used safely. They certainly do enough volume that they would have their own licence to recertify tanks, and again, on their website it is made pretty clear that they put each tank through a testing and possible refurbishment process.

I don't care for their policy of handing me a 15 pound refill. It's not about the price, to me. It's about carrying as much propane as I can in each tank. So I do occasionally exchange out-of-date tanks, and then for subsequent refills I go to a local station that fills them properly.

8. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    The tank on my 1973 Montgomery is the original from 1972, with a fuel gauge built in. So far I have had it filled a few times and I doubt the lady could see the date even if she tried. It does have an updated valve!

9. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    I brought my tank to a welding company, Prax-air and received an exchange for 13 bucks. My tank was an old one. And they have a scale right there to insure you out are getting what you pay for.

10. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Yes, that is what our local hardware store does too. Even been sent back in for a refund when tank took less gas.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Wish we could find a place like that. Cheapest refills here are $20. And they charge you that whether it's a full fill or just a top-off.

12. Fbird

Fbird Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    Most uhual corporate locations only charge for what they put in. Just had one filled, it was completely empty and it cost $18.

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Just wanted to come back and thank you for that suggestion. I didn't even know Uhaul had propane. We checked, and they indeed charge by the gallon. And it's really cheap, compared to where we've been going... we filled our nearly-empty tank for under $11.. would have cost about $23 in the past.

PointyCamper likes this.
  14. DJS12354

DJS12354 Active Member

$9.95 at Modern Gas in our area for a 20 lb. They do assume mt.

15. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    Several Costco locations in southern California fill them as well and only charge you for what is put in. I've found that they beat the closest competitor by almost $1/gallon.

16. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2017
    western Colorado
    Our ACE Hardware store fills our cylinders by the gallon. Also most propane distributors - AmeriGas, Ferrellgas, etc. - will recertify cylinders. I think AmeriGas charged $5 or $10 to get our tank recertified, but they wanted $24 to fill the tank regardless of how much LP they put in.