New Rockwood - Squeaky springs?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by RobPerissi, Mar 23, 2018.

1. RobPerissi

RobPerissi New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Central CT
    So I have a new (purchased end of season last year) 2318G Rockwood, and have taken it out twice on a short test run, and a long 2600 mile r/t.

One thing I notice now is loud squeaking, from what I think are the leaf springs going over the slightest bumps. Ex: rolling into my driveway, or going over a speed bump at a toll.

Is this just some normal friction, and/or something that can be easily eliminated with lube? A million years ago on my first car (a plymouth gran fury!) had a similar issue and it wound up being a set of bushings to fix it.

Rob

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    It must be a leaf if it only squeaks on a bump. I would try to isolate where it was coming from (rock the pup) and spray it with some dry lube.

3. RobPerissi

RobPerissi New Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Central CT
    Thanks... hoping it's something nice and quick like that. Any particular dry lube or are they basically all the same?

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I keep a can of THIS in the pup. I also use it on the telescoping supports to keep them lubed. If you do this, make sure you put a piece of cardboard behind it during application to keep it off of the canvas.

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    The noise could also be coming from the rear shackles on the rear of the leaf springs. They must be snug, but allow shackle movement with suspension movement. And also make sure the spring to axle retaining U-bolts are torqued correctly. If too loose dirt gets in and makes noise, and/or the shackle holes will start to elongate causing excessive movement and noise.
    3/8" U-Bolt 30 50, 7/16" U-Bolt 45 70, 1/2" U-Bolt 45 70.
    Also, take a power sprayer and spray into the side of the springs to shoot out dirt, small rocks, etc.
    This was a common problem off-roading; not only on the trailer, but on any truck with leaf springs..

Dry lube is probably ok; however if you use a wet lube, it will allow more dirt to be held by the springs, usually causing more squeaking. I learned that the hard way.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018