New To Pop Up Camping

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Michelle Hayes, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Michelle Hayes

Michelle Hayes New Member

Aug 12, 2018
    hello everyone my name is Michelle and I just bought a 1999 Dutchmen 1205D pop up camper. I’m painting the cabinets and putting some new fabric on the cushions to clean things up. I wanted to replace the canvas, but it looks like quite the job. Does anyone know of any places in massschusetts that will replace a canvas?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Welcome from N/W Fl panhandle Congrats on the NTU Dutchmen PUP. Sounds like you are into the mods to "make it your own" for some other ideas check www.thepopupprincess.com. The canvass replacement is really not that hard as long as you take your time while doing the replacement. Hopefully someone on here will be able to assist you with an answer to your question. Good Luck and Happy Camping

Michelle Hayes likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    awelcome.jpg Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline.

4. Michelle Hayes

Aug 12, 2018
    I

5. Michelle Hayes

Aug 12, 2018
    Thank you for the warm welcome :) I’ve been looking at the pop up princess all week, such a great resource.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Welcome from the West Virginia mountains

7. jsalexan7

jsalexan7 Flatlander

Aug 4, 2011
    Welcome from Nebraska!

Our canvas replacement came in an extremely heavy box from Bear Creek. If you're replacing canvas, they're really high quality.

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Welcome to the PUP. ..nice to see you maker her your own. With a little help from friends and a few cool ones replacing your canvas is entirely doable.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  9. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Greetings from NEPA!

10. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Welcome and good luck with the new to you pup

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    For new canvas, unless you have a popup that the manufacturer still has it available, Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek Canvas are the two main places. (I found another place when we did our '84 a few years back, but figured out they were actually selling CR canvases - going to the source made more sense) It is not difficult to install the new canvas, if that's what you need. Just take notes and photos as you remove the original canvas.

Michelle Hayes and myride like this.
  12. Michelle Hayes

Aug 12, 2018

13. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    Congratulations on the NTU Pup and Welcome to the forum from Midway USA. [:)C]

14. Michelle Hayes

Aug 12, 2018
    Thank you so much on the info on where to get the canvas. Taking notes and pictures is a great to

15. Camp Pineapple Gal

Camp Pineapple Gal New Member

Aug 7, 2018
    Hi! I'm going to tag onto your question. :)

I'm thinking of replacing our canvas, too. (New to pop ups.) From looking at videos it seems like they're one long piece. Is that correct? Feed in the top track, feed in the bottom track, put all the screws in, and you're done? (After a lot of swearing and sweating, of course!)

kcsa75 and Michelle Hayes like this.
  16. Camp Pineapple Gal

Aug 7, 2018
    Adding on:

I did get a quote from Bear Creek for mine. It was $1025.00 and that included shipping. They anticipate 8 week turnaround at this time.

I have a 1996 Palomino Colt which they said they don't have the pattern for. (I read somewhere that the office holding patterns and manuals burned down a number of years ago but don't know if that's true.) So I have to ship mine to them so they can use it as a pattern to make a new one. If they have the pattern for yours, it might be cheaper.

17. Michelle Hayes

Aug 12, 2018
    I looked mine up and it was $1100. I’m not concerned with the cost, I’m just nervous to do it in my own and mess it up that’s why I’m hoping to find a place that will do it :) lol

QUOTE="Camp Pineapple Gal, post: 1226843, member: 105291"]Adding on:

I did get a quote from Bear Creek for mine. It was $1025.00 and that included shipping. They anticipate 8 week turnaround at this time.

I have a 1996 Palomino Colt which they said they don't have the pattern for. (I read somewhere that the office holding patterns and manuals burned down a number of years ago but don't know if that's true.) So I have to ship mine to them so they can use it as a pattern to make a new one. If they have the pattern for yours, it might be cheaper.[/QUOTE]

18. Camp Pineapple Gal

Aug 7, 2018
    [/QUOTE]

I totally understand! I would be doing it by myself with no helper so I'm leery of the task! I'm pretty sure I can get it down but not sure I can feed a one piece canvas all the way around on my own. And I certainly wouldn't want to pull and rip it!

I'm also in Massachusetts. If you hear of a place that will do the install, feel free to share!

19. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes, Palomino did have a fire a number of years back, so that info is lost. Do check with Canvas Replacements too. We had a 1984 Palomino. Canvas Replacements already had the pattern, but Bear Creek did not. Since our canvas no longer existed, we went with CR, and were very happy. (Prices and reputations are similar, options vary a bit.) We ordered in the off-season, while we were renovating the pup.

Camp Pineapple Gal likes this.