New to us Coleman Yukon!!

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by cruz2017, Apr 6, 2017.

1. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    Thanks everyone we are finally getting the inside finished. All the cushions was wrapped and are now in the camper. I will get better pics of it soon. We have vinyl floors to put in but need to be sure we have the leaky roof fixed before we put the flooring down. Potentially can be finished within the week. We did the MEK and ABS fix today. Will be sanding it tomorrow hopefully then painting the roof to seal it. I sent my bunk end support poles to get fixed by a welder at my dads work. They was bent and the shepherds poles wouldn't keep the canvas up. Once we get those all done we can finally use it. Hopefully this Saturday we can do a trial run.

2. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    Alright. We have finished the inside of our pop up!! We still have some exterior work and bunk end work to finish but the inside is done! YAY.. finished.jpg

Adam H, christbride and Natureangel like this.
  3. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    compare.jpg
    Here is our before and after pictures. Crazy what a little bit of hard work can do.

4. MaBrownie

MaBrownie New Member

Apr 1, 2017
    Looks great!!

cruz2017 likes this.
  5. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Cary Illinois
    Nice job!

cruz2017 likes this.
  6. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Surprise, AZ
    Beautiful!

7. KWAZ

KWAZ Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Great work! You are right, it's amazing what a little hard work will do. What flooring did you go with? it looks really good.

I am also curious about the ABS repair, my roof is fine, but the front body panel has a few cracks in it and I'd like to do this repair before they get any worse. Did you follow the tutorial from the popup princess? That is the one I have looked at and considered as they made the repair to their front panel.

8. Gone bush

Gone bush New Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Nice looking camper. What is the pop up princess?

9. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio

Sorry my response took so long I never received a notification. The flooring was the cheapest nicest flooring we could get at menards. It is the floating floor and sucked putting in. The abs repair... that really sucked. Let me tell you a few hints. Do your relief drill holes now!! Don't wait lol it only gets worse if you don't stop the cracks from expanding. Yes I did follow the pop up princess. But being a guy I tried being lazy and by passing some key work. So besides the drilling to prevent the cracks from spreading here are the other tips. 1. Just buy abs plastic off line, not all air soft beads are abs. I learned the hard way. 2. Do not skip out the dremel tool to make a clean surface for the abs mend to cling to. 3. there is really no recipe for mek and abs mixture. You just have to just learn by mistakes. 4. Do not paint anything other than white, it will heat and probably warp your plastic (learned from others mistakes). I think those are the things I learned the most.. o and just flat out take care of your abs plastic roof and front storage to prevent cracks cause it sucks. Just flat out sucks. The process isn't bad but the roof has failed once. even tho I repaired it I see it as a weak spot and now I'm worried it will fail again.

KWAZ likes this.
  10. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    She is awesome. Google pop up princess but beware. If you do there will be work ahead of you

11. KWAZ

KWAZ Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Peoria, AZ
    Great info, my top isn't cracked, just the front panel. I'll definitely save this information for when I get around to repairing that panel. Thanks again, and great job on the PUP, it really looks good!

12. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

You gonna add Grizzly Grip on the roof after all the ABS repairs?

13. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    We was actually going to use grizzly grip but I could not get any response from the company. Besides the response holy crap the cost of that stuff is crazy. Searching the forum I seen a guy that used white roof guard. It's like 1/3 the cost and he said his was holding up. So we tried that. Hopefully it works. One of my cracks opened up. So Today that's what I'm working on. I took a dremel and opened up the crack a lot more. The abs and mek method sucks it is def messy. I haven't had luck with it yet so I'll keep trying it till I get it right. It's either the consistency is to thin or to thick hard to get it right. I might try to put a backing on the crack so I can pack the cut I made so it is a thick mend. These abs roofs are a joke that's for sure

14. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio
    We have a camping trip planned Mother's Day weekend so we are pushing to get it done. Mushroom season is upon us we must get out!!! Anyone else mushroom hunt?

15. christbride

christbride New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    OMG!! this is my exact camper. I follow the popup princess. love her. I started remodeling my camper but used spray paint to repaint the cabinets, mistake!!!! seems there is like a laminate sticker top to the mdf cabinets which is peeling and the paint only showed it worse so I am going to have to remake the front covers out of real wood (thin of course). I remade all of the cabinet drawer fronts and doors out of real wood. same style. do you have a storage cabinet in the front of the camper. if so do you have any water damage. this is my next bigggg problem. the storage has water damage which I just want to remove the whole thing but am scared to tackle because it seems like a really big job.

16. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio

Yea we did have water damage. It cracked in the groove between the lid to the storage and the roof. I had to fix the crack 3 times. I love that storage area but if it stays a problem then we might have to do the same. Once you remove the lid and the hinge assembly you will never get it back on. So I fixed the crack and purchased 2 new clasps and added 2 more closing clasps towards the back of the storage box. It keeps it very secure. Now my lid just comes off instead of swiveling up and down. So last night it rained. It was the first time the camper had been in rain since march. The repair job worked but my side entry doors don't seal well so there was a little water in the box today. I will just be putting new weather seal in those two side doors and it should be nice and dry. I'll take pictures tomorrow for you

17. cruz2017

cruz2017 Member

Feb 27, 2017
    Ohio

But you go... I don't have the patience to make all new cupboards and all that. Plus I'd prob screw that up lol.

18. christbride

christbride New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    this was a bad design for this camper because that seems to be everyone's problem with the storage. My water damage has mold, of which I am allergic so I can stay in it again until I rip the lining out or take the whole thing off. I think diamond plate front is in my future. I've seen a couple of removals with the replaced diamond plate and I like the look.

19. christbride

christbride New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    I doubt it. As good of a job as you did on those countertops, I bet you do and excellent job. I'm the handy one in my household. my husband can barely hammer a nail and calls me to fix the toilet. lol!! but I don't mind he likes to clean.

20. christbride

christbride New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    I think I am going to do this for the countertops, were the directions pretty self explanatory? did you paint the surface before using the chips?

cruz2017 likes this.