Newbie Needs HELP!!

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Shelovesvintage, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Shelovesvintage

Shelovesvintage New Member

Hi Everyone:

I recently acquired a 1997 Starcraft Spacemaster 1224

My dream of making over a camper has quickly turned into a nightmare. Hubs is the one that went to look at it and he ignored the list that I sent him of “things to look out for”. So he brought home a camper with quite a bit of water damage. In the corners of the subfloor, the bottoms of the cabinet bases as well as both end walls.

To say I’m overwhelmed is an understatement. I’m completely on my own here as he has no interest in camping let alone fixing all the problems. I’ve got it all set up and the only issue I’m having is the door. The top won’t attach to the bottom. The roof needs to go up just a touch more and it won’t crank any more.

So...do I need to take it down and then put it back up? I’ve attached a picture for you.

I need to fix this because it’s supposed to rain tomorrow. It will give me a chance to see if the camper still has leaks or if everything is ok. The picture is in the comments.

Fingers crossed!
    Thanks!
    Sheila

2. Shelovesvintage

A2A9518A-B2A6-4F79-A309-4E56A6530D55.jpeg

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would take it down and if it is leaking as badly as you think also tarp it until the rain stops. Sounds like you have a job re- building the unit. But it could be worthwhile to undertake the repairs as you would know exactly what you have and that it was repaired correctly. (my opinion)
    Good Luck and Happy Camping

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

First make sure that the Pup is level front to back & side to side than Have someone push up on the roof while you pop it into place. Than cut some 2x4's or something to prop it up at the lift poles. Than you can adjust the cables later.

terry1419 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Is the bottem all the way down?

6. Shelovesvintage

Yes. It is all the way down.

7. Shelovesvintage

Thank you! It is pretty dang level. Not perfect, but close.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Sorry but had to ask ! Had to go with easiest fix first.

9. Shelovesvintage

No problem. I’m completely new at this!

10. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Different camper/model, but the top of the door looks very similar. Mine sits very close to that same point when first assembled. It takes a little 'persuasion' pushing the top of the door outward, but then it springs into place with a little effort. Should not need a ton of force, but it will need a little to put some tension on the underside of the roof, and to get the thumb turns closed to keep it in place. I don't believe that it is designed to just drop down into place without a little tension on it.

Shelovesvintage likes this.
  11. Shelovesvintage

Even with hubs putting pressure on the roof it won’t work. When it’s down and locked into place it’s too low and can’t latch to the bottom portion of the door. I am going to take it down for a couple days. I need the practice, lol! I hope when I put it back up that it will work. I will make sure to check it before I have the whole thing assembled. Now if I could find someone to fix the water damage...that won’t cost me a freaking fortune.

12. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Prongs on the bottom of that upper door fit into slots in the camper frame, on either side of the permanent bottom part, are they in place?

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

That's always my first go to: ignore it for a few days and see if it fixes itself". :)

14. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We also have a 97 1224, with a different floor plan. My stove and sink are on the other side. That angle looks pretty close to what mine looks like before I pop it into place. The camper needs to be pretty level for things to line up correctly. Don't put a lot of pressure on the stabilizers, just enough to keep it from rocking. Level side to side by blocking and chocking the tires then front to back with the tongue jack. Be sure it's level and try again, if you're still having problems take more pictures including where the door comes together and how slack the side canvas is.

15. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

This was my first mistake. After I got the pegs at the bottom of the upper section into the holes in the frame it worked. Would be good to have a pic of the lower part of the door from the outside when he is holding it up like in the pic you posted.

hayyward likes this.