no battery, how do I install one?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Fred1diver, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hey everyone, spring is finally here, looking to install a battery to my pup, how hard is this to do?
    where should I install the battery? on the tongue or inside under a seat?
    how do I wire it to the power converter ?
    as soon as the snow melts I'll get the details as to the converter model
    but the pup is a 1999 Viking 216

I want to be able to go off grid sometimes.

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

When you see what you have (or don’t have) in the way of wiring you can be better advised.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree with the above post that we really need to know what your converter is. I had an old 1990 with no battery. I like you occasionally did camp off grid and was hoping to set the camper up with battery. However when I tried to get an estimate I found out on my old camper the converter was not capable of having a battery. Put a whole different turn when I heard that. With money very tight for me, that didn’t happen. With that said let’s say your converter is good to go to install a battery. Whether you have the battery inside or out is really a personal preference and where you have the most room. If you have a break-a-way that needs power it probably would be easier to install it on the tongue so the wire for the break a way can reach the battery.

4. Pozi

Pozi Member

Please DO NOT put the battery inside. The typical lead acid batteries will off gas, especially during the charge cycle and that's no bueno for breathing. You can however put AGM (gell cell) or Lithium Ion type batteries inside and that's safe to do. But still, I'd recommend a lead acid battery, in a battery box on the tongue of the frame. 9 times out of 10, that's where you'll see the battery mounted on a PUP.

Sjm9911 and tombiasi like this.
  5. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Thanks for the input Pozi, hadn't thought of that

6. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

ok, so it's ben a while since I opened this post, finally have some answers to a few questions.
    my power converter is a youngyear/centurion model cs1200 30 amp
    now what do I have to look for in order to install a battery?

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

The Centurion series of converters were terrible and are no longer being manufactured. If you want to replace it at some point give Randy at Best Converter a call.

http://www.bestconverter.com/

Your CS1200 is a 12 amp converter, not 30 - you're confusing your trailer's 120 vac main service rating with the converter's DC rating. Regardless of where your converter is located the battery would normally be mounted on the trailer tongue where you would normally find +/- wires that connect to the battery terminals, unless of course they've been removed for some reason.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

If you are in this for the longer haul, would suggest you update to a newer converter (several brands to choose from) for little over $100 - they all have good three stage charging now. Battery mounts on the tongue in a battery box. About the only other thing I would suggest is that you install a battery disconnect switch near / at the battery so you can take it offline when you are not camping and not plugged in.

9. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Ok, so a new converter might be one of the next purchases, I know nothing about converters, what should I look for?

10. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Already gave you the answer - call Randy at Best Converter, tell him what you have, and take his recommendation on a suitable upgrade. :)

11. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

http://www.bestconverter.com/Centurion-CS-3000-Replacement-_c_63.html
    or you can get a WFCO such as the one listed here
    http://www.adventurerv.net/wfco-8700-series-amp-power-center-converter-wf8725p-brown-p-14469.html?
    Basically, you are going to disconnect the one you have and reconnect the wires to the new one per installation instructions. If you are not too familiar with working with electrical stuff, it would be helpful to have a buddy with some skills in that area there to assist you. It is not a very difficult job at all. For less than $300 you can have a new converter and a good new deep cycle battery.