No guns, knives, or ball bats needed with this security item.

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by Mickeyrv, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    [TV] [HYC]
    I know that posts about guns are not allowed, so for those who don't or won't take one camping, here is an alternative.
    Protect yourself and your family while camping. Here's a way to wreck someone's evil plans for you.
    Wasp Spray -- A friend who is a receptionist in a church in a high risk area was concerned about someone coming into the office on Monday to rob them when they were counting the collection. She asked the local police department about using pepper spray and they recommended wasp spray instead. The wasp spray, they told her, can shoot up to twenty feet away and is a lot more accurate, while with the pepper spray, they have to get too close to you and could overpower you. The wasp spray temporarily blinds an attacker until they get to the hospital for an antidote. She keeps a can on her desk in the office and it doesn't attract attention from people like a can of pepper spray would. She also keeps one nearby at home for home protection. Thought this was interesting and might be of use. On the heels of a break in and beating that left an elderly woman in Toledo dead, self defense experts have a tip that could save your life. Val Glinka teaches self-defense to students at Sylvania South View High School . For decades, he's suggested putting a can of wasp and hornet spray near your door or bed. Glinka says, "This is better than anything I can teach them." Glinka considers it inexpensive, easy to find, and more effective than mace or pepper spray. The cans typically shoot 20 feet; so if someone tries to break into your home, Glinka says "spray the culprit in the eyes". It's a tip he's given to students for decades.
    It's also one he wants everyone to hear If you're looking for protection, Glinka says look to the spray. "That's going to give you a chance to call the police; maybe get out." Maybe even save a life. Please share this with all the people who are precious to your life. Did you also know that wasp spray will kill a snake? And a mouse! It will! Good to know, huh? It will also kill wasps !!! And best of all, immobilize a human.

Flamingo Guy likes this.
  2. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Thanks!

3. colorado_camper

colorado_camper Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Sounds good but a quick googling brought up Snopes which points out two possibly important facts. One, this is probably illegal based on the labeling on the can, and, two, the active ingredient may not be effective on some and may be deadly on others.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/waspspray.asp

4. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Jul 10, 2012
    I'd spray them with it anyways. Criminal rights, like jumbo shrimp

5. Sharpsburg

Sharpsburg New Member

Jul 26, 2013
    Bear spray is much more potent than wasp spray if you are not carrying.

6. azbirddog42

azbirddog42 Bullhead City, Arizona

Aug 25, 2009
    Bullhead CIty, AZ
    I do carry, it being legal in Arizona. At my house I have my guns but I also have a very large animal with a huge mouth full of teeth. He loves everybody until I say the works, BAD PEOPLE. You don't want to be on the receiving end of this 165lb mouth full of teeth. He does know the right place to crunch, if you know what I mean.... [:O] [:O] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]
    [​IMG]

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Sheba's a HE?? Or was that a typo? [;)]

Here's my security team.....

[​IMG]

The goofy one on the left will threaten you if you have a bad 'sense'. The mini goofy one on the right will fly thru the air and chomp you from the crotch area down. If none of THAT works, the one in the middle will get you with his laser eyes!!

The 2 smaller boys are the noisy ones, and it will make your hair stand up when goofball Reece gives up the chest growl. I bet Sheba would KICK HIS BUTT though! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL] He'd have little hearts dancing around his head!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

8. azbirddog42

Aug 25, 2009
    Bullhead CIty, AZ
    RotnMom
    This is Sheba, she is only 115lbs. The big boy is Cameron, but she is the Boss..AZ [8D]

html][​IMG][/URL]

9. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    AAAaawwwwww...Cameron has a nice look, but I woulda called him Sheba at first meeting! Then again, I don't think I've seen the real Sheba's pic until now! [8D]

[:D]

10. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Really that post of guns are not allowed? Oops, my bad of don't read this part in the rules and know about an Anti-Guns community prior registered. Anyway if my Conceal Carry Gun can't go to the Camping Trip my PUP and family can't go too.

brwarrior likes this.
  11. 14erfam

14erfam Member

Oct 12, 2008
    +1 on the dogs for both campsite and home security.

My aussie started barking about 2am while camping last summer on the north fork of the white river. Next morning we learned he had scared off a bear.

alabasterjar likes this.
  12. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    I understand it to be a politically charged issue (having a few posts blocked for getting off track an on opinion). As example I and all my friends are personally heavy-left leaning gun owners, so discussions on security fall on deaf ears if the no-gun crowd starts talking to me but I also stop listening to ignorant talk from the right about making sure I can own my own 25mm auto canon as an American because its protected.

So because I own them, the super no-meateatingneverwashmyhairbecauseiveneverheardofbiologicallyandenvirinmentallysafesoap liberals disown me (though of course nothing wrong with not eating flesh, I dig me a garden burger.. Or better yet the Med-Veggie sandwich from Panera which is awesome with extra Feta), and because I believe in very sensible ownership the willnotlistentoanyoneishouldownatanktoprotectmyselffromthegovernment right argues with me. But based on my experience (>12 years LEO with combat experience and >8 years as both enlisted infantryman and now commissioned Artillery Officer) I feel I can meet that middle ground and speak intelligently on a subject most people just have opinions on because they do not own guns, or own them and have never experienced a tactical situation that requires them; hence the long discussion in the forums.

So in the end it gets off track, as the above example proves, and becomes politically charged because people feel as if because they have not been attacked by a bear in 20 years it won't happen tomorrow so owning a gun is stupid, or that they will be attacked in the next few minutes and need 120mm mortars to combat the scourge of these communist Yeti aggressors from the woods trying to steal the s'mores they left on the table last night.

Me I personally will be modifying my PUP to hold my home defense shotgun in a concealed and secure location, I already camp only where I can carry.. it makes me happy and adds to my families safety. So if the discussion were instead on modifications to security on the camper you would have the naysayers but it would stay on topic if you do which is important.

Just my two cents, hope it helped

13. Heartonasleeve

Heartonasleeve No meal invite, u tore my screen 1st pup outing!

Aug 8, 2013
    I do not know anyone that has ever actually provided info on wasp spray being utilized on an offender...but as far as I am aware, several suggest effectiveness.

Now, as far as being illegal, ha illegal is an issue if you misuse most any chemical, like consumption of spray paint...that's enforced, but by all means protect yourself in any form and fashion against any idiot that wanders into your personal space in any threatening manner!

For me, I'd rather spray buckshot. Oh another FYI...pepper spray, the cute little keychain sprays, not everyone is immune to it...and also whenever this is dispersed it can get on you and in your eyes, in a pup you'd be doused too.

14. Heartonasleeve

Heartonasleeve No meal invite, u tore my screen 1st pup outing!

Aug 8, 2013
    Your dogs, beautiful :) that is completely a wonderful and intimidating deterrent to stop someone, dogs can be vicious protectors...not so much my little terrier rescue lol.

15. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Jun 21, 2012
    azbirddog42 - Cameron looks like the one that got my arm... So cute! Is Sheba a Doby or a Rott mix? Big lap dog, I bet.

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]RotnMom - What the heck is the little one? And how do you get laser eyes into a breed? Is he rechargeable? [/font] [LOL] [SIZE=small] [/SIZE]

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    BB, the 'little one' is actually a DNA verified Rottie. His mom was a stray and evidently a loose gal, if you know what I mean. LOLOL We thought the daddy could be a Bassett Hound, due to the 5" legs and those cute little wrinkly knees. Then as his 'wide load' butt grew, it became all too clear there was a Doxie at that party.

The laser eyes are easy. Let them chase a laser pointer while pups. Every time they catch it, their super power grows.:))^-^

;D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

17. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

joeb1kenobe@gmail.com New Member

Jul 18, 2013
    I had an Air Force doctor tell me that the active ingredient in Wasp and Hornet Spray is the main component in nerve gas chemical agent.

18. azbirddog42

Aug 25, 2009
    Bullhead CIty, AZ
    BigBaron

Sheba is a pure Rottweiler. Her mom had the same type of nose.

19. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Is this is what I'm thinking too, how to modify my PUP that I can have my shotgun but a shotgun is a littlebit hard to conceal and most in the PUPs that don't have too much space.

People may think "why a shotgun and not a simple gun?" Well, in my particular case one time I been with my wife pregnant and our 2 dogs in a Hiking day in a famous park here, in one moment appear in front of us 2 very aggressive snakes, obviously my 2 dogs start barking and make the show that they can defend us, in that time I'm carry a simple 9mm pistol and I never feel so unprotected in my life that in this moment because for sure is like impossible kill a snake with a gun and in that time I really want to have a shotgun with me, trust me. The shotgun is the most versatile defensive weapon ever.

Well, sorry for distract the idea of the thread a little bit.

One thing is, many people vote for dogs and I love dogs (I have 2 mixed bread) BUT until now I never go with my dogs to a public campsite (state parks or private) because I know how much my dogs bark and I know how frustrated is want to have a relax camp and have the neighbor dog barking all of the time for stupid things like a bird fly close, In my opinion this is a Camp Etiquette and trust me that spend $35 a day in a boarding/pet hotel when we go camping is so expensive and not easy to me but I prefer this that spend all camp trying to silence the dogs, at the same time I hate need to hear dogs barking for stupid things when I just want to hear the wind.

For this reason IMO dogs are not the best choice for security in a campsite with more people, in a place that only camp us maybe but I don't frequent this places.

20. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    REALLY do you NEED defense while camping? walking in the woods where there are large game i understand (better yet dont walk there). shotgun for a squirrel, chipmunk, snake???? I am pro-gun but not while camping!!! and IF you use a firearm make sure you kill it, nothing worst than getting an animal angry at you. just my [2C]