No headlights

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Beekeeper1, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Whitman Creek, WV
    Took TV (2004 olds bravado) to Wal-Mart yesterday to have new tires installed. Have been working on replacing struts,ball joints and tie rods. Started in January, but stopped due to wife's illness. Car stayed on Jack stands until her death in July. On the way to Wal-Mart, the battery light came on. I had to charge the battery several times while the car was down for repairs, so I had Wal-Mart to in stall a new one. Now I have no headlights. Turn signals work, brake lights, etc, but no headlights. Also the battery light stays on even when the key is off. Anyone ever had this problem before. I am removing the alternator to have it checked.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Did tou check the fuse?

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I had that happen with my Durango. It ended up a computer board. Replaced that and the lights all worked again. However, my remote for the locks no longer worked. Thought it just simply needed re-programmed, but it was another computer board. They wanted $600 for that and all it did was work the remote. I use the key instead.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    Try the headlight relay in the fuse box under the hood #46

bearman512 and tombiasi like this.
  5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Might pull the battery cables. Cycle the key to insure no other surface charge and reconnect cables. Or yep, alternator is ready.

6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Those vehicles have had issues with ignition switches... can cause some peculiar issues.

J Starsky likes this.
  7. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Check some of the simple stuff above. Another thought is your lighting control module may need replaced if you have one in that vehicle.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Franklin, MA
    I'm betting alternator. I had an older blazer that had the alternator go twice.

9. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Whitman Creek, WV
    Had alternator checked, it's good. Reinstalled alternator and battery. Car starts fine, runs good, battery charging and lights now working, but battery light still stays on even when the key is off . It is not bright as when the ignition is first turned on, but glows dim.

10. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    Whitman Creek, WV
    If I can get someone to help, I plan on pulling fuses until the light goes out and checking whatever is on that fuse.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    If the battery light is on with the key out I would suspect the ignition switch. Try wiggling the switch around a little and see if the light goes out.

12. Overland

Overland Active Member

May 1, 2013
    Bristol, Pa
    ^^Good advice here..

So you have a voltage meter indicating a working alternator (~14v) AND a battery light indicator? Vehicles nowadays can do some weird stuff electrically with a low battery. Did they load test the battery? Just because the gauge shows 14v doesn't mean it's getting to the battery, or that the battery is accepting the charge.

Good clean cables and clamps?