no hot water pressure

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by metaltim, May 1, 2019.

1. metaltim

metaltim New Member

New pop up owner here. We have set up twice now in the driveway and I still cannot figure out why I don't have any hot water pressure.

I hook up my garden hose from house to the camper water inlet. Cold water runs great. I have the hot water tank with a bypass system like this
    http://www.popupcamping101.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/CX2A3864-886px.jpg

I have the cold and hot water valves open, and the 'bypass' valve closed. I turn on cold water for a while to let water heater fill up. If I go outside and pull the safety valve, water shoots out, so it seems there is water in the tank.

But I'll wait an hour, turn on hot water at sink, and I just get a dribble. The most recent time, I didn't turn on the water heater, but I did have it on the first time, and the outside of camper near heater was very hot, so it was working.. just no pressure when I open hot water on sink.

This is a 2018 mac 228D, so it's very new, only used a handful of times from previous owner.

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your pic shows the valves in the bypass or winterize position, for use while camping you want them turned the other way so cold water enters at the bottom and hot water flows out the top. Next question, is this a manual light water heater or DSI, gas only or gas / electric?

3. metaltim

metaltim New Member

The picture is not mine, it was merely to show the type of plumbing I have. I verbally explained; I have hot/cold open, and the bypass closed (exact opposite of picture).

It is a direct-spark ignition.

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your post is confusing because it's not the water heater that provides pressure but rather the water pump when you're drawing water from the FW tank or pressure supplied via the city water inlet when you're not using the pump.

5. jckele

jckele Member

Seems like you have it right, handles in line with pipe are on and handles across pipe are off. You said the safety valve works so you are getting water in to the tank. You say it only dribbles out the tap so open the bypass and see if you get full flow ( would be cold ). That will tell you if your plumbing is good and the issue is in the tank. If it still dribbles then your hot water line or tap (s) must have some kind of blockage. How many taps?

6. metaltim

metaltim New Member

From my initial post; 'I hook up my garden hose from house to the camper water inlet.'

I'm not using the water pump. I'm simply stating I tried with water heater on and off. Both scenarios, I have no pressure out of hot water tap. The cold tap on faucet works fine.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Play with the bypass valves. Do you only have hot water atone faucet, or is there a outside shower and/or an inside one. If so I would try those faucet's. I have seen where a faucet will reduce the water flow and needed new internal parts.

Also, its a 2018. Is it a brand new camper? First time you ran the water? If so, I think I would check with the dealer. It might me a manufacturing issue with the plumbing?

8. metaltim

metaltim New Member

There is one kitchen sink plus outdoor and indoor shower. We're going on our first trip here in a few weeks, I'll have to tinker with it some more. Just didn't know if there was something special in the way these water heaters operate.

9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Just to narrow it down, have you seen if you can get any flow from the showers?

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would take off the hot supply line at the sink and see if it has a screen, which may be clogged with sediment.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or check to see if someone put the teflon tape over the inside of the pipe, it happens.

12. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I would take it back to dealer. If you start to take things apart, etc, then they can say well....you shouldn't have done that. Again leave it alone and take it back to dealer.

13. StellarJay

StellarJay New Member

Did you resolve this problem? I am having the same with my jayco.

14. bheff

bheff Active Member

I would put money on the hot water line having some sediment in it between the tank and faucet

15. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

It's a used camper. No need to take it to a dealer unless you want to pay too much for repairs. Could be as simple as a kinked line. It'd be good if we could find out what the flow was at the showers. Or take the faucet off and use air to blow back the hot line to the tank. After fix, use a water filter at campsites. There's crud in some campgrounds water systems from wells and past "repairs".