No Ignition!!-Need help troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by kenquagliana, Jul 16, 2016.

1. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi folks. Currently camping in Central Pa, (State College). I have a Dometic RM 8501. Ignitor is not working (LP mode). Any ideas on what might be preventing this from igniting and how can I determine if the ignitor is faulty. BTW, the unit has been working great (LP mode) until this trip. When I initially fired it up, I heard a few irregular, slow clicks in the space of about 15-30 seconds, then no more after that. I cooled it down on 12V on the drive to camp (worked great). Currently running on 120V. Working great considering the heat these past couple days.

Thanks,
    Camper Ken

2. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi Folks, just reposting this. Hoping someone can help me begin to troubleshoot this problem. FYI - I checked the burner / stack, etc. - Clean. I cleaned the ignitor electrode and thermocouple with sand paper. I purged the gas system of any air (all gas appliances light). Display panel on fridg. lights up and works. Works well on 120 and 12V. How do I test the re-ignitor?? Hate to have to replace this @ $210. What's left to try?? Anybody???

3. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    I'm not familiar with that model fridge. Sometimes spider cocoons clog the orifice on my fridge.

4. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah. I think I'll try removing the burner tube and seeing if there is a clog, but I don't think that would stop it from trying to auto ignite. Gas and auto ignition occur simultaneously. If it doesn't see a flame, it should keep trying to ignite for a few cycles before needing a system reset. I'll keep poking around with a meter.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Does the pilot light ? If it does not stay lit when you release the valve the thermocouple is bad.

6. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Not sure if you have the service manual but found it here.
    It seems to indicate that if there is a problem with the gas ignition then the fault LED should display?
    About as much as I delved into this manual so it could have more info on what to check and how?

7. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi there folks. Many thanks for your replies.
    Yes. I do get the fault light on the display after a few minutes. I've tried lighting the gas with a stick lighter with no luck. That makes me think I may not have 12 V going to the gas valve OR the ignitor. But I can't seem to find a way of checking voltage from outside the camper. Guess I'm going to have to open her up and see if I can access and check voltages at the control board which could also be the issue. I'm taking her out June 2-6. I should have a chance to delve into this further then. I'll keep you posted.

8. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Have you checked the fuses in the converter?

9. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Looking at the manual and the electrical wiring diagram it is saying the supply to the Burner Control unit is approx 1.3V.
    It must be converted on the control board for the fridge.
    Is the ignition cycle happening? Should be able to hear the clicking of the spark when it tries to start. System is a 3 try system before faulting?
    Also failure mode: Ignition without success- Failure LED 2 and Gas flashes on the LED display.

If it has igniting but not lighting then suggest clean the burner assy first?

If it there is nothing at all happening, possibly the Burner Control unit?
    Check the 1.3 V activation signal is going to the Burner Control when the main control unit sends the request to run on gas to the Burner Control unit.
    Thats all for now!

10. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have No ignition / sparking at all. I Do get the fault light on the display after the cycles complete.
    One attempt to manually light the burner failed.
    I think checking voltages going to the Burner Control is the key. Just not sure where it is or how to access it.
    I'll be opening up the camper soon to try and get into this further - Have a trip coming up!!
    Regards

11. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi. Yes. I have. But I'll check again!
    Thanks

12. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I am wondering if you have a bad ignition board. There would be a circuit board that controls when to ignite...

13. kenquagliana

kenquagliana Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi. Yes. The ignition module is certainly one possibility. I just wish I knew how to troubleshoot / confirm that it's good or bad. It's about a $200 part. Pretty expensive guess!! And the Control Board is well over a hundred bucks as well. So, first chance I get, I'll try tracing voltages from the beginning of circuit. Trying to avoid pulling the fridg to do this. We'll see. I really like the efficiency and effectiveness of the propane operation and it's essential when boondocking, which I like to do occasionally.
    Thanks

14. NMroamer

NMroamer Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    My money is still on the thermocouple. That is why a match does not work.