No microwave or oven

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Muller 5, Feb 4, 2019.

1. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Dec 27, 2018
    With little storage room for anything, all we carry is a propane stove, occasionally a small grill during the summer. We also have a small rechargeable blender that we use to make quick on the go smoothies. Its nice to have fresh fruits to toss into a blender that can be somewhat filling and its fairly quick. We always try to eat very clean and pack mostly fresh foods, most of it is in the cooler. I feel as though a camp stove is a worthwhile investment for anyone to use and is something I'll keep forever. You can cook almost anything on it.

Premaking your food is great too before your trip, you can make some sandwiches and other types of things. If they need to stay a while you just keep the ingredients separate. Also the premixed pancake battery and eggs are actually pretty good as well.

2. Kampus

Kampus Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Slate Belt, Pa
    When the wife and I first started camping (back then she was GF and we had just graduated high school) A box of jimmy dean breakfast sandwiches always went with us. You can easily separate the parts and heat in order...sausage first in the pan, then the egg, then the cheese and then a quick toast of the bun, all in the same pan over a single burner. Worked out great. We have upgraded a bit since. But never under estimate the power of a small pot of boiling water and a previously cooked, vacuum sealed pouch of breakfast scramble. Boil water, drop the pouch in...10 minutes, ready to eat. Quick, easy...almost no clean up.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    Rather than making the burrito ahead of time, make the egg/sausage/veggie mix ahead of time - uncooked. Put it in a sealable jar. In the morning, cook it in the skillet, then wrap it up in the tortilla. The tortillas store dry. The mix stores in the cooler. You can warm the tortilla in the pan also if desired.

The other is to pre-cook the burritos and wrap them in foil. Then justheat them in the skillet still wrapped in foil. The foil will help heat it all over so no cold spots.

There's no need to buy/take a microwave/toaster oven to heat things up. People managed for years using the stovetop just fine.

Muller 5 likes this.
  4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    This was exactly the information I was looking for. I have never had only a stove to heat/reheat food. I plan on pre-cooking our breakfasts as much as possible because I need to get 3 kids up, fed, dressed, packed and take down the pup before 7:30-8 am so we can be on the road. Adding dishes to the mix is asking for trouble.

5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Jan 6, 2019
    STL
    I forgot to mention, I'm the only adult on this trip.

6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    You can get the kids to help with the prep work before the trip - you cook the stuffing, they wrap it in the tortillas and then in the foil. Or if you cook the mix each morning, they wrap the tortillas. You can use a strip of foil faround the bottom third of the burrito to keep the kids hands from burning and to help keep the inside from spilling out.

Muller 5 likes this.
  7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    If you want to stick with the breakfast taco/veggie idea, you can get bacon crumbles from the store, eggs in a carton and a pack of shredded cheese. Easy to cook the eggs on the stove, and if you have a 2nd skillet you can warm the tortillas on it. Then everyone scoops the egg/bacon scramble into the tortilla and adds cheese. I do something similar on scout campouts sometimes, although I usually do a batch of hash browns to add potato into the mix as well. A jar of picante sauce is also a good idea.

8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    With the burrito idea, I’d use either a skillet with lid, or even a pot and then put a cup of water in the pan and use a trivet to keep the food out of the water. This will essentially steam the food and give a gentle even heat. If they are wrapped tightly in foil not much moisture should get in, so no worries about soggy food. You could even stuff a bunch of burritos in the pot vertically and cook them like tamales.

PointyCamper and Toedtoes like this.
  9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have always gotten along without a microwave oven when camping. A pot or frying pan is all you really need to reheat food. When we travel and want a quick breakfast all I do is boil a pot of water. We use it for instant oatmeal, tea and my wife uses coffee bags so no brewing needed. Only thing quicker is a breakfast bar!!

10. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Florida
    Sometimes we just need to eat something for breakfast — we boil water for instant oatmeal, and have with that a bagel and a fruit cup or banana. Not necessarily delicious, but sustenance... and quickwith minimal clean up.

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I find it sad that you needed to include a disclaimer.

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Yeah, it seems that some folks are sensitive to certain choices of camping style (although there is no right or wrong way to camp).

There also seems to be a lot of anger going around when expressing opinions. Some seem to think that an opinion is a point of contention to be argued rather than to be accepted as a different way of thinking. It is kind of sad that some would rather fight or argue your ideas rather than accept the differences of individuality.

If we all thought alike, it would be a very boring world.

13. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I think the problem is that most people can't wait to have their claim to fame. An example would be if someone asked , what is a good size television for a pop up. You would receive numerous replys stating that they don't watch television while camping or at home. Others stating that they only sleep in their campers. Electronics are evil. Why would anyone reply to the question about television size if they don't have one in their camper and never would? Many other topics as well.

14. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    No kids here, but we do plot for quick breakfasts on most days.
    Pre-cooked bacon or sausage heats up easily in the skillet (have to really watch the bacon though, we've set off the smoke detector a couple of times) or microwave if so equipped. We cook our own or buy it. Baking a couple of pounds of bacon is a great way to get it cooked, and we freeze it in meal-sized packaged so we can pack what we need for each trip. When we only had a cooler, we did more of the commercial cooked bacon and sausages, since they are vacuum packed, and the bacon holds at room temp.
    If the family will cope with muffins or rolls, those are a good choice. Even a sandwich works - we Americans are used to meat and cheese in a roll as lunch or dinner, not breakfast, but it really works well. I know some folks who make cooked (turkey) bacon bagel sandwiches, they may add cream cheese too.

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I agree The face of the whole group has changed drastically in the past year. I have a theory as to why this is so but if I were to give it numerous people would get their panties in a bunch.