no turn signals or brake lights

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by campingranny, Jul 13, 2018 at 7:34 PM.

1. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    If anyone out there knows how to help me I would appreciate it. My running lights work but turn signals and brake lights do not. They worked last year. but when I connected up this spring they are not working. I got a tester and the 4way works just fine on the van. Will I have to take this somewhere to get diagnosed? What could have happened.

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    First thoughts:

Dirty connections. Clean all the contacts on both sides of the tow vehicle to trailer connector with tooth brush and rubbing alcohol.

Bad ground(s). Clean connection(s) from lights to trailer frame. Clean connection from frame to four or more way connector. Clean connection from tow vehicle side of connector to frame of tow vehicle.

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Are we working with a 4 pin plug or 7 pin plug. Standard wire colors, for both plugs, are green for right brake / turn lights and yellow for left. Your ground is good since the running lights work. Check your wire connections after the trailer plug on the green and yellow wires.

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    After you've checked your connections, check your vehicle fuses. Your vehicle manual will tell you where your brake light fuses are. There should be several trailer fuses in the fuse box.

5. campingranny

campingranny Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Elizabeth, PA
    It is a 4 pin. I cleaned all the connections, got a drivers side turn signal and brake light none on other side. then I went to check the ground on the off chance it was rusty. well it was, as i was cleaning it it broke off. so now i have to figure out how to strip and reconnect it. Will a general auto garage be able to help or do I have to take it to a rv dealer. Thanks for your help.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    A garage should be able to help. I avoid RV dealers, since most will not work on it, if they did not sell it. A local handyman can help, too.

7. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

First goto Walmart and buy a cheap pair of wire strippers and fix that ground wire. Watch this Video