Noise coming from the converter

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Clouthier123, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Clouthier123

Clouthier123 New Member

Hello, not sure if this is the correct forum to post in, but we’re currently out camping in our ‘94 Starcraft. When I just turned on the toaster oven, the converter started making a noise/humming sound, which it’s never done before. We’re on shore power, and I know a toaster oven draws a lot of power, but should I be worried that it’s now all of a sudden making a noise? Is it on its way out? When the toaster oven is turned off the noise stops. If it helps, it’s it MagneTek series 6400 power converter that I’m certain is original. Sorry, we’re super new to pop-up’s, only having bought this one last year and only have about 5 trips under our belt. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Leanne & Scott

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The converter is not supplying your AC except that it holds the circuit breaker. Open the cover, induce the noise and see if it's a breaker humming.
    If it is, remove the breaker examine the contacts for wear or burns. Also check the breaker's receiver contacts. (If you are plugged in it's hot there so be careful.)
    Also check for loose wires.
    Get back.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

could be hum from the converter/transformer. Many thin stacked plates vibrating differently when the oven lowers voltage.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Check the convertor fan too. Check the fan for an imbalance such as dirt dabber nest etc. also bearings could be tight (maybe oil will help here)and sometimes the fans are just noisy