non-toxic flooring

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by Rideswithchrist, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    We are renovating our popup and have been using the same things (paint etc) that we use at home so it is low/zero VOC.
    BUT all the recommended flooring I read about is the vinyl peel and stick...which I just discovered is pretty toxic and off gasses for up to 10 years!

Aside from just leaving the ugly flooring as is, what floorings are ok to put down in a Pup that are not so headache inducing?

2. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
  3. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
  4. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    I had a family member buy an Escapade teardrop due to the low toxic chemicals used. They don't say what kind of flooring they use on their website but maybe you could message them. http://www.escapadecampers.com/

I worried about the chemicals in the vinyl flooring as well but realistically I only camp 3-4 times a year and I am only in the camper to sleep for the most part and we leave some windows open so it breathes fairly well. However, they just put new flooring in at my work and the smell is nauseating and I have to breath it in 8 hours a day 5 days a week!

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Armstrong flooring advertises low VOC on their website. I've never really even thought about this issue....guess it hasn't affected me.

tfischer likes this.
  6. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    I thought about that too...but then one of the reasons we camp is to get away and detox LOL. Someone gave us some vinyl and we put it in the kitchen before I read about it being so bad, it still stinks months later!
    I found some pretty eco-friendly floorings, but I am not going to spend $200 on the floor of the pup. I think we are going to try a paper bag floor with a low VOC varnish or poly coat.
    Or just leave it...

7. Dingit

Dingit Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Marmoleum isn't any heavier than vinyl. It's an excellent material. It's funny how most manufacturers use the term "linoleum" when they mean vinyl. They are not at all the same thing! Marmoleum/lino is kind of expensive though.

Cork would be a nice floor...

8. Rideswithchrist

Rideswithchrist Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Buda, TX
    Marmoleum was what I was looking for, but I could not find a way to get just a small roll to do a DIY project.
    Cork is my husband's dream floor!