Noob power question - 30 amp can't run everything?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by brich208, May 22, 2019.

1. brich208

brich208 Member

So in our NTU pup we've got 30 amp service. For breakers we have the 30 amp main breaker, a 15 amp that controls the lights/water pump, a 15 amp for "general usage" and a 20 amp breaker for the A/C unit.

Is it true I can only run the A/C by itself because if I use anything else we'll be at 20+15 and go over our 30 amp limit?

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

You can run other things while using the A/C. The A/C uses the most power when it first starts, but doesn’t pull near 20amps even when starting. I think I read that they pull just over/under 15 amps. That discrepancy means it has to have a 20A breaker because you might trip a 15A breaker.

Orchid, brich208 and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You can use pretty much everything on a 30 amp service and then some. Just be carefull if using other mutipal high drawing things, ie, another fridge, microwave, hot plate , etc. The 30 amp can handle a lot. You cant run the ac and other stuff if you use the adapter and plug into a 20 amp circuit.

generok, Orchid and brich208 like this.
  4. brich208

brich208 Member

Thanks! I'm on a roll with this thread the other shower thread you guys answered. I'm trying to think of more questions :D

Orchid likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

When running the AC on the AC 20 amp circuit I only use small power draw items such as charging phones etc. As a higher draw item along with another high draw item could trip the breaker. Also a thing to remember, if you have a 3 way fridge and using it on 110v power that is on your 15 amp circuit so it doesn't leave you much to play with. So I try to use the fridge on propane. That fridge is a power hog otherwise.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

When we are plugged in to 30 amp, at the campground, we run the a/c nearly full time and still use everything else. Since we live in Florida, the a/c is a necessity. The only things I found that I can't use at the same time are the microwave and toaster oven. I can run one or the other, along with a/c and lots of other little stuff and lights, but both at the same time blows the breaker. That's the only combination I've ever had a problem with. I even use a blow dryer and straightening iron while everything else is running.

I forgot to add that we also have a fridge AND freezer (separate units) plugged in full time. The only thing that is electric and run on it's own cord is the water heater. It runs on propane, too, but we put an electric conversion on it and use it with electric most of the time.

brich208 and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Just about the only thing that a 30 amp plug can't run is a second air conditioner.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

An A/C will have a fairly high startup amp draw, then the draw will settle down to around 12, depending on the ambient temp.

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

A 6,000 BTU AC unit (new style) draws about 4 amps of 115V power. If you avoid using an electric space heater, waffle iron and so forth all at the same time, you should never use up 30A of shore power in a popup.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Should be no problem running everything, except it is recommended not to run the microwave and AC at the same time.(usually recommended by manufacture) They use the most amperage. But to be honest I can never remember to turn one of them off and have had no problem.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

In 12 volt DC it's a hog at about 9 or 10 amps, but on 120 volts AC it only draws about 1 amp.

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The biggest draw item we plug into the camper is a coffee maker. Any high draw items like a space heater or hotplate we use a 12 gauge extension cord plugged into the 20 amp service on the power pedestal.