Not sure how to search this...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by msollars, Sep 12, 2017.

1. msollars

msollars New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I'm in search of our first pop up. One requirement I have is that it fit in our garage when not in use. Our garage has 17'10" available length and width shouldn't be an issue.

Is there a way to search or sort....on any site....by the closed lengths of a pop ups? Does closed length mean the same as travel length? does this include the hitch? etc. etc.

can you tell i'm new to all of this?

Thank you for any input. And please, if you have a newer, nice pop up that's less than 17'10'' long when closed that you are looking to give away...i'm your man!

Matt

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Not about to give away our 2012 Chalet Arrowhead, but I understand your problem. Too many manufacturers websites give info on the size of the closed up box, failing to mention the overall length. Additionally, OAL can vary depending on what year a given model was built, whether the manufacturer built or outsourced the underlying frame and running gear, etc. Accessory or optional items can add length, items such as rear spare tire mount, or front storage bunker.

Get yourself a 25 foot steel tape measure, and take it along when you go look at any unit, new or used.

3. msollars

msollars New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I was afraid that may be the answer. Simple, effective, unsearchable from the comfort of my home from 9pm or later when I get time to breath and do things like search for campers online. :)

thank you for the reply!
    Matt

4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Active Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Generally, a PUP with a 10 foot box without a cargo box should have a closed length of around 15 1/2 feet from back of trailer to from of tongue. With a cargo box, add 2 feet.

And like sleach said, bring a tape measure with you to eliminate any guessing.

Here is a link that should explain box sizes. There is also a lot of other good general information on PUP's on this site:

http://www.robertssales.com/articles_tutorials/camper_size.html

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  5. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Even if they give a true overall length they often don't include the spare tire. It's not difficult to demount the spare but something to consider. As BikeNFish said, a ten foot box will probably fit, a 12 you should measure.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    X2 what SteveP says...

Also make sure you take the rear mounted spare tire (if it has one mounted on the rear bumper. On my POPUP trailer this added another 19-inches to the over-all length of my trailer from the front of the trailer hitch and the rear bumper... I would add at least more 12-inches to be sure you have enough space to park your trailer and close the pull down garage door...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    If it helps you any, I just measured our closed pup. It's a 12-foot box, without a rear-mounted tire or storage box, and comes out to just short of 16 feet from hitch to back bumper.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Unfortunately there is no way to search because they don't often give you an accurate number. On mine they said it was 17' but it turns out that number did not include the front trunk which was an option so my overall length is actually 21' on mine. So like others say, bring a tape measure. You should be able to get a 10' box however if it has a front trunk but you may need to make sure it would work.

9. msollars

msollars New Member

Sep 11, 2017
    thank you all for the replies.

10. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    I would think that any pup with an eight ft. or ten ft. box would leave plenty of room. Possibly even one with a 12' box if it does not have the front deck or storage box. My Jayco 1006 has a total length from spare tire to front coupler of 15 feet.

11. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Curiosity got the best of me. I went to the driveway to check. I have a 2008 Fleetwood Sante Fe with a 10 ft box. The rear bumper actually extends further than the spare tire.
    Total length closed is 15' 4" from the tip of the receiver to the back of the bumper.

12. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You can't search by it, but if you find a pup you like, you can look up its specs on the NADA guide. Again, bear in mind the caveats about spare tires and storage decks.