November 2018 - So what did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'So, What Did You Do For Your Camper This Month ?' started by kitphantom, Nov 1, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    First of November, so here's the battery charge reminder for those needing it.
    We still have one more trip on the calendar, so haven't pulled our batteries off for the winter yet.
    I sort of patted the TT as I removed the caution tape from last night's driveway barrier. (we're grumps and don't give out candy)

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Getting ready for a 3+ weeks trip. Ordered a new adjustable tongue jack foot. It can add about 10" to the jack length. Had to drill two holes and clean up the jack bottom tube. It's is working and looks like I shouldn't need blocks on the un-level CS's, unless it way off. [Guitar]

kitphantom likes this.
  3. OlyUSMC

OlyUSMC New Member

Oct 10, 2018
    Obtained LEDs for the interior, new vent cover.... First trip next week!

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Scored a 413H Coleman Stove for free off Craigslist. It's battle worn but with a little oil on the plunger it fired right up on the old fuel that has been in it for 15-20 years! [CK][SUN][A]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  5. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The sink trap leaked on our last trip, so Courtenay put in new plumber's putty, again. This happens at least once a season. The vibrations on the road seem to make the p-trap assembly wiggle enough to loosen it all up. This time, the plumber's putty looked cracked too, and it's less than a season old.
    Today, we drained the hot water tank and blew out the lines. We have one more trip, over Thanksgiving, so will do the real winterizing routine when we get home from there. Our lows have been in the 30s, and not for long enough to worry about freezing, yet.

6. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    We replaced the tires and wheels.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Did a fridge vent fan mod in the roof vent... Winterized and covered the front of the carport to keep blowing rain/snow out. Replaced the 1amp battery tender with a 6 amp....Let it snow!

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I moved the Mesa out of the driveway and next to the Niagara beside the House. This will help keep it safe from Mother Winter and her Plow trucks.

9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Pulled the front bunkend canvas for repair, winterized the water system, tossed in 4 packs of Fresh Cab, buttoned it up & covered it for the winter. Once repaired, the front bunk canvas will probably reside in our spare bedroom for the winter.

10. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Brushed the snow off the PUP.

Read more on the electronics and have a 12v socket with USB ready to install in the spring Also did some second hand shopping hoping to get some deals.

Thanks for the battery check reminder!

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Velcro'ed the Gizmos on and took her camping!

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Saturday I winterized my plumbing... wanted to wash the exterior, do a final cleaning and bring it to storage this weekend. BUT, it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so... hustled and brought it (unwashed) to my buddy's tonight (for winter storage) before they started spraying the God awful brine and road salt!

13. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Temperatures have started to really fall, it was 22* this morning. The trailer is not fully winterized, though we've blown out the lines. The fridge is still stocked, since we have one more trip, week after next. (Thanksgiving in Tucson.)
    I turned the furnace on, so that it doesn't get too cold inside. It was just about freezing in the cabin, the refrigerator/freezer temps were still in the sweet spot and we'd like to keep them there. The thermostat is set at 54*, the far ends of the TT will stay chillier since the 'stat is in mid-cabin, almost directly across from the furnace. The lowest setting on the small electric space heater we use to supplement the furnace in really cold weather is 60*. I may buy one of the small oil-filled radiators to use in the trailer, since we can use it in the house once we're back from the last trip of the year. (The one we use in the sun room or garage is 25 years old. If Courtenay wants to work in the garage in the winter he has to move it back and forth.)
    While I was in the TT, I retrieved a couple of things I need this weekend. My stack of small items to be returned to the TT keeps growing.

14. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    just took my camper underground for it,s winter hibernation, now i forget about it until April.

15. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    had to cancel a trip due to park flooding.
    so, i replaced 2 propane tanks with new 2018 tanks.
    the one that was on the camper is from 1990! eek!
    got a good lesson on refilling & tank dates from Uhaul propane guy.

(right now that 1990 full tank is on patio, fueling the 1940s Atlanta Stove Works gas “fireplace” heater i acquired this summer. another project success.) see post “vintage heater”

worked on upgrades on small gas heater to use with quick connect hose salvaged from pup stove. it fit space heater w no extra parts.
    FBE4DA72-5CCA-4479-AA1D-C2ED981A5BCD.jpeg 042BA45A-76F7-4C37-BB3C-12696D4432BA.jpeg
    5E600299-87E9-4041-A6F8-C559D771F8AC.jpeg

got a 1 burner electric burner for $10, new.
    got new small folding plastic table for patio area/ cooking near outside elec outlets.

got another old Coleman lantern in good shape - fired up on first try!
    got screens to replace broken glass globes on my other propane lanterns. even found lacey metal candle screen that is a perfect fit for one lantern, fit snug inside screen.

at that same thrift store, a milk carton for propane tanks to sit in & nice big square plastic step. it held me at 200+, so i know it will work for any of my little friends!

also got the Coleman 413e stove working with new pump, gaskets & fuel.

i cried when i found the denim pillowcase mom made in 68-69 for the stove we had then. yes, some of my camp gear is original from my childhood! it fits this stove, snug. no more cobwebs!

cut more wood blocks for feet, now that ive done axle flip.
    flipped ball on hitch to match new tongue height.

hoping we dont have flooding rains next 2 weeks so i can escape on thanksgiving weekend.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018 at 4:07 PM
    kitphantom likes this.
  16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Kansas City
    We performed the dreaded Winterization at the campground this afternoon and put it away for the winter. With temps dropping I pumped pink stuff into the pipes a couple weeks ago, but we were pretty sure we'd be going out again this season so didn't do the rest.

Today, we did a good cleaning and DW packed up all her stuff that serves no useful purpose but makes her happy. We drained the lines and refilled with more pink stuff, threw four Fresh Cab packets around and made a list of all the stuff we need before next year, i.e. baggies, foil, 9-volt battery for smoke detector, etc. Then took it back to the storage barn and put her up for the winter. [:)C]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    DJFav likes this.
  17. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We bought an electric radiator and have it on fairly low in the trailer, keeping it in the 40s or so. We partially winterized, drained and blew out all the lines, drained the HWT, but not using antifreeze. I did use pink in the p-trap, and in the toilet; in the toilet is mostly to keep the seal from drying out.
    The pump is inside, under the fridge, so keeping the main part of the cabin above freezing should keep it safe. About every other year we have to do this routine, or add pink and then flush it before the Thanksgiving trip.
    I checked on it all yesterday, and all seemed fine; will step in later today. I looked at the EMS, which is in the garage, with the power cord under the door, and the trailer was pulling 7 amps with the radiator running; it usually runs up to 4 amps while parked (depends on if we have the a/c fan running).
    It's 25* here, we have fine snow and wind.

18. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    So, I started the recovering of the Window Treatments. Went from this;
    PIC1.jpg
    to this;
    PIC2.jpg
    Here's a side by side comparison, prolly a better pic but a busy rug doesnt help, lol
    PIC3.jpg
    Not in any big hurry for this interior upgrade, as you may be able to tell. With the
    holidays coming up, we don't have any outings planned so there's no rush. Opted to
    not paint anything inside, just because wear and tear concerns me. I've ordered new
    cover material for the dinette cushions to match the new sofa cover. Also, removed the
    piece under the couch and that really opened up quite a bit of storage. Anyway, it continues.

Orchid and kitphantom like this.
  19. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @emoney - very nice. I plan to make new curtain over the winter, assuming I find fabric I like, but no valences in ours.

emoney likes this.
  20. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    So far I replaced the 7 pin plug on the unit. I scrubbed the roof and checked the caulking on everything up top, removed the 9 clearance lights and sealed them using gum tape (they were not sealed prior to this) I wiped the inside down especially the couch where Pebbles jumped on the couch with wet feet.
    Restocked everything after last trip. Finally found MAX fuses for the converter so added them to tool box spares.