NTU pup, first time pup owner....trailer brakes disconnected (image heavy)

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Hoyt Burrass, May 18, 2018.

1. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass New Member

May 9, 2018
    Montgomery AL
    My Background info:
    Pop up is a 2000 Forest River Rockwood, GVW is 2226 lbs
    Tow vehicle is a 2017 F150 Crew Cab. 2.7L Ecoboost V6, 4WD, Tow Package

I am DIY capable, I was crew chief for a weekend vintage racing team for much of my 20's & 30's (1959 Austin Healey Sprite)...but I was never the electrical guy (not that the Sprite really had any electrical system to speak of)

My Issue:
    It appears my pup's electric brake system has been disconnected.
    It also appears that the F150 does not have the appropriate connections to run the trailer brakes...4-wire connection to truck...6 wire connection to trailer. I'm assuming the missing two wires are for the trailer brakes...see photos:

This is the connection to the truck end To Truck.JPG

This is the connection to the trailer end To Trailer.JPG
    the missing wires are cut and electrical taped to the wiring assembly that connects trailer and tow vehicle.

So, the questions are:
    How difficult is the install of an aftermarket brake controller?
    Is there any way to assess the functionality of the trailer brakes before I have a controller?
    Does such a controller also contain an appropriate connector(s), or does the F150 have such a capability in the suite of connections at the tailgate?

...more Photos:

This is the standard 4 prong connector on the truck: IMG_3335.JPG

and this is a round connector on the truck that I am unfamiliar with
    IMG_3337.JPG

On the bright side, all the electrics that are connected work...

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Regards,
    Hoyt

2. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass New Member

May 9, 2018
    Montgomery AL
    Hey Soft17,

Thanks for your reply...Do these eliminate the need for a brake controller?

3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    No. It just connects it to the truck. You still need a brake controller.

Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  4. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Does your truck have an integrated brake controller in the dash? I thought all new trucks had them.

5. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass New Member

May 9, 2018
    Montgomery AL
    it does not.

6. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Your issues are the same as mine - 6 pin square on trailer, 4 pin flat on truck -- Forest River Flagstaff and F150. I got a Hayes brake controller and Hayes harness on ebay cheap.

Hayes 81790 Genesis Proportional Self-Leveling Brake Controller.jpg Hayes 81783-HBC Quik Connect Dual Mated Ford 2010-1994 Wiring Harness.jpg

Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  8. Fless

Fless Active Member

4-pin connectors do not support electric brakes (unless you're disconnecting light circuits!).

@Hoyt Burrass, if you have enough wire length on the camper side you should consider changing the 6-pin connector to the 7-pin round male mate. Like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12706.html

When you buy your brake controller, you'll probably need the vehicle-specific wiring adapter from the controller to the truck (under the dash). Kind of like this pair, but double-check your application before ordering: https://www.etrailer.com/bc-2017_Ford_F-150.htm?style=with+factory+7-Way
    You can get this stuff on Amazon and other places, too.

You may also need to add some fuses to sockets in the fusebox; not sure how the Fords are set up.
    _

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Hoyt Burrass likes this.
  9. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass New Member

May 9, 2018
    Montgomery AL
    This site is the best...thanks to you all!!

10. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama

I also bought a 7 way connector for my truck and camper to replace the 4-pin and 6-pin connectors.

11. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Hoyt....didn't Healys run a Lucas
    "prince of darkness" electrical system? Tore mine out of my MG and replaced the entire system with a color coded universal harness......never could understand that British wiring!

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

The controller set that @Fless posted is "Plug & Play" compatible with your Ford with the correct harness all you have to do is Mount the controller where you can reach it while driving & plug it in Done. Good Luck

13. Hoyt Burrass

Hoyt Burrass New Member

May 9, 2018
    Montgomery AL
    Yep, three settings...Dim, flicker, and off!

14. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    My truck has a mounting bracket for something under the dash. I don't know if it is for the brake controller or not. But I hope with the harness, all I have to do is "Plug & Play." If not, I'll probably have to pay somebody to install it along with running the wires to the 7-way connector.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  15. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    You are pre wired. It should be very easy.

16. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    You may have to hook up a couple of existing wires to the power box and add a couple of fuses. etrailer.com is a good source for the parts and for vehicle specific install instructions and videos.

17. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I hope you're right. I like to learn how to do things, but I mostly learn because I don't have the money to pay to have everything done.

I just got my friction bar from Harbor Freight delivered this morning. I got my hitch with the tab and I bought an extra chain the other day, so I think I have everything to hitch and unhitch.

I've bought a couple things from etrailer.com including the jacks you referenced. I was going to add a breakaway switch to another order, but the part that I was trying to order wasn't the full kit, so I'll have to wait on that until I can determine exactly what I need.

I removed the corners on the roof last week but that's as far as I got. I've gone out a couple times to open it up because it is too hot inside, but every time I do, we get a thunderstorm. With the winds we had the other night, I'm glad I moved it back 5-6 ft by the house.

I think I will need the bracket that attaches the lift poles to the sideboard if I can figure out where to get them. I don't know what's on 3 of the poles, but the way the bolts are sticking out, I don't think it's the bracket.

18. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    If your truck has the 7 wire plug already then it is pretty wired for trailer brakes.